News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Matt Damon to play Carroll Shelby in up-coming movie

Started by NC TRACKRAT, June 20, 2018, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

To use the tone of Senator Lloyd Bentsen responding to Dan Quayle's infamous comment about Jack Kennedy...

"I knew Carroll Shelby.  And you, Mister Damon, ARE NO CARROLL SHELBY!"
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

SFM6S087

Quote from: 1109RWHP on June 02, 2019, 11:10:51 PM
Not so sure about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWrPtUxO2M

The last little clip - "I was born ready, Mr. Shelby" - had me laughing so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. It will be worth the price of a ticket to see that one 20-second scene on the big screen.

Steve

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

I'm not sure if this is new news to anyone but I did see the television commercial trailer for the movie last night. If I remember correctly it's coming to theaters this July.
It looked pretty good, the story line at least. I had a difficult time envisioning and seeing Matt Damon as the Caroll Shelby character though.

Cheers
~Earl J

CSX 4133

I'm expecting not a whole lot of accuracy, even the music in the trailer "Gimme Shelter" is from 1969. Matt Damon is just bad casting, from his fake Texas drawl (not all Texans have it by the way) to the wrong hat crease which appears to be worn backwards in the trailer. His potential box office draw overrode any thoughts of finding a better fit for Carroll's character.
Special effects should be decent, because that's what Hollywood is still best at, it sure isn't acting.
I'll be more interested in seeing how they used Roebling Raceway in some race sequences.

FL SAAC

Quote from: SFM5S000 on June 03, 2019, 07:45:55 AM
I'm not sure if this is new news to anyone but I did see the television commercial trailer for the movie last night. If I remember correctly it's coming to theaters this July.
It looked pretty good, the story line at least. I had a difficult time envisioning and seeing Matt Damon as the Caroll Shelby character though.

Cheers
~Earl J

good morning earl

some select theater previews/screenings prior to the november release
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

CSX 4133

It would be great if SAAC 44 were one of those select showings....

Don Johnston

Quote from: CSX 4133 on June 03, 2019, 09:00:02 AM

It would be great if SAAC 44 were one of those select showings....

Might be too risky.  Damage to the room and the movie screen could happen. ::)

terlingua11

Quote from: SFM5S000 on June 03, 2019, 07:45:55 AM
I had a difficult time envisioning and seeing Matt Damon as the Caroll Shelby character though.

Cheers
~Earl J

I agree with Earl. I just watched that trailer and I just can't wrap my head around Damon as Caroll. Just not making the mental connection visually or audibly.  :(
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Fastback66

This movie looks awesome! You're all a bunch of old bitter women if you're not excited about this movie. If you want to see a documentary watch the Cobra Ferrari Wars...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOcYYkHFwvU

This movie isn't a documentary it's about entertainment...get over it..

deathsled

Hey at least they don't have Wonder woman playing Shelby. These days you never know what they might pull. History is being rewritten as we speak about a good many subjects I imagine. I just hope there is no message in the movie about patriarchical oppression.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

terlingua11

Quote from: Fastback66 on June 03, 2019, 04:26:30 PM
You're all a bunch of old bitter women if you're not excited about this movie.

I don't think anyone has said they weren't excited about the movie, in fact the concept is fantastic and could be really exciting on the big screen. I think everyone's bummed about the choice of the lead character, as most of us have our personal experiences with CS and feel Matt Damon falls considerably short in all of the departments.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

SFM5S000

Quote from: terlingua11 on June 03, 2019, 04:45:41 PM
Quote from: Fastback66 on June 03, 2019, 04:26:30 PM
You're all a bunch of old bitter women if you're not excited about this movie.

I don't think anyone has said they weren't excited about the movie, in fact the concept is fantastic and could be really exciting on the big screen. I think everyone's bummed about the choice of the lead character, as most of us have our personal experiences with CS and feel Matt Damon falls considerably short in all of the departments.

Agreed...

I have/had the same sentiment about when George Lazenby replaced Sean Connery as 007 aka James Bond when On her Majesty's Secret Service debuted back in the mid 60's, but in the end I found myself adjusting to the new 007.
But Matt Damon??...ugh. I suppose.

~E