Author Topic: Matt Damon to play Carroll Shelby in up-coming movie  (Read 49533 times)

werthie

• View Profile
Re: Matt Damon to play Carroll Shelby in up-coming movie
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
just chiming in on the Henry Ford II scene:   first of all, Tracy Letts is one of our greatest living actors (and playwrights), and he kills it in this film . . . second, the particular scene we're discussing is funny as hell, and has some unexpected nuance.  yes, he's scared shitless, but he's also very emotional about being in such a fast and highly developed automobile that bears his grandfather's name.  so, yeah, he's crying, but he doesn't come across as a sissy.  on the contrary, the movie makes it clear that LeMans is "the Deuce's" no-expense-spared vendetta to get even with Enzo for humiliating him over a possible sale of Ferrari to Ford . . .   guys, the movie isn't perfect, and every time Ken shifts from third to fourth and the revs go UP, you will cringe.  but it's a very good (Hollywood) movie (NOT a documentary), and i think you'll all be satisfied watching it on the big screen.
JMHO,
Alan

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2019, 08:15:42 PM »
Message received and acknowledged, and thanks for your comments, Alan, as you're the only one (AFAIK) here who's seen it.

I'm trying to get screening passes through a buddy, and hopefully can add to your impressions soon.
Van
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:18:13 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
just chiming in on the Henry Ford II scene:   first of all, Tracy Letts is one of our greatest living actors (and playwrights), and he kills it in this film . . . second, the particular scene we're discussing is funny as hell, and has some unexpected nuance.  yes, he's scared shitless, but he's also very emotional about being in such a fast and highly developed automobile that bears his grandfather's name.  so, yeah, he's crying, but he doesn't come across as a sissy.  on the contrary, the movie makes it clear that LeMans is "the Deuce's" no-expense-spared vendetta to get even with Enzo for humiliating him over a possible sale of Ferrari to Ford . . .   guys, the movie isn't perfect, and every time Ken shifts from third to fourth and the revs go UP, you will cringe.  but it's a very good (Hollywood) movie (NOT a documentary), and i think you'll all be satisfied watching it on the big screen.
JMHO,
Alan

Crying and being scared shitless doesn't come across as a sissy? Really?

I never expected a documentary, but creation of a narrative spell that isn't broken. HFII crying; spell broken. Revs go up; spell broken. IMHO

Check Edsel Ford II's twitter feed and see what he thinks of the trailer.
BWT I wonder if the screen writers interviewed Mr. Ford. He was there.   

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »
At 1:18 you can see the engine in the GT40 has fuel rails and electronic fuel injectors in the manifold.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »
In one video the movie is called Ford vs Ferrari and in another it is called LeMans '66.

werthie

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2019, 09:14:20 PM »

68CountrySedan:  Crying and being scared shitless doesn't come across as a sissy? Really?

I never expected a documentary, but creation of a narrative spell that isn't broken. HFII crying; spell broken. Revs go up; spell broken. IMHO

I guess "sissy" is in the eye of the beholder . . .  and context is everything.  in the film, HFII and Leo Beebe are trying to kick Ken Miles off the team.  in an effort to save Ken, Carroll more or less forces HFII into the car and then purposely takes him on a crazy hot lap, just so HFII will understand that, while he may be rich and know the car business, he knows nothing about racing or race drivers . . .  btw, the first thing HF says when he gets in the car is "I just sat on my balls."  funny stuff.

i've already acknowledged that people on this forum will definitely have some cringes.   the movie wasn't made for SAAC members, it was made for the general population as a piece of entertainment.  i think it succeeds, even though some "dramatic license" was taken in many areas.  try to put your  finely-tuned knowledge and expertise aside, and just sit back and enjoy a great sports movie.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2019, 09:30:24 PM »
I just watched the trailer and I can't wait for the show.  I am so looking forward to this.  Wire wheels and inaccuracies, ...... bring it on!! 8)

QSS
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:21:45 AM by QuickSilverShelby »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
Quote from: werthie

[color=blue
I guess "sissy" is in the eye of the beholder . . .  and context is everything.  in the film, HFII and Leo Beebe are trying to kick Ken Miles off the team.  in an effort to save Ken, Carroll more or less forces HFII into the car and then purposely takes him on a crazy hot lap, just so HFII will understand that, while he may be rich and know the car business, he knows nothing about racing or race drivers . . .  btw, the first thing HF says when he gets in the car is "I just sat on my balls."  funny stuff.

i've already acknowledged that people on this forum will definitely have some cringes.   the movie wasn't made for SAAC members, it was made for the general population as a piece of entertainment.  i think it succeeds, even though some "dramatic license" was taken in many areas.  try to put your  finely-tuned knowledge and expertise aside, and just sit back and enjoy a great sports movie.
[/color]

+ 1

Very well expressed,  its entertainment.  Looking forward to a few hours of thrills, laughter and enjoyment ! Or we can always talk about politics....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

werthie

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
full disclosure:  i'm an entertainment lawyer, and i represent the screenwriters of the film.

alan

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
I'm a personal injury attorney. Is something in litigation?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 06, 2019, 08:50:45 PM »
full disclosure:  i'm an entertainment lawyer, and i represent the screenwriters of the film.

alan

kool, it's still going to be a great flick!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 06, 2019, 09:09:41 PM »

alan

I wish they had consulted with you on some of the details before production.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 06, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »
I wish they had consulted with you on some of the details before production.

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tblackgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2019, 10:47:32 PM »
 Does anyone remember the name of the guy that did a presentation on this film and actually read a small piece of the script at Mid Ohio?  As I recall when going through his preferred list of actors he had Matthew McConaughey as first choice for CS; too bad that didn't work out. He also promised an advanced screening for SAAC, but I don't know how serious he was.  The upcoming convention would work well.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
I'm a personal injury attorney. Is something in litigation?

Will it be?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!