News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Headers for GT500

Started by dabigpud, June 21, 2018, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabigpud

Hi all,

I previously posted about suggestions for head/intake manifold gaskets. Thank you for all of your suggestions. Had a chance to remove everything today and sure enough, blown head gaskets on both sides (3 total cylinders). And holy crap, there is hardly any room to work under there. Everything is so tight!

Any who, I would consider ordering some headers to install on the car while the heads are off with the stock exhaust manifolds. Who is using headers and if so, which brand do you recommend for quality and fitment!?

Thanks,

Ryan
67 Shelby GT500 #2859
Instagram: @therealbeverlyhillscop

2 x 69 Chevy Camaro Z28 & Pace Car
66 Chevy Corvette Stingray Coupe 427/425HP
65 Mercedes-Benz 220SEb Coupe
85 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
83 Porsche 911SC
64 Ford Falcon Ranchero
75 IH Scout II
73 Triumph TR6
62 Austin Healey 3000 MKII

rbarkley

I went with FPA,  Unfortunately, I cannot comment on fitment as I am still a few weeks out from installation.  I has been a long process, but getting close now!
I have not had any luck adding attachments to my posts, but I did upload a pic into the gallery.
Ron

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=263

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

FPA.  Quality build, fit very well, and the collectors sit slightly higher than the bottom of the bellhousing...so no scraping the ape knuckles on every speed bump.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

All, a controversial subject.  Any of them however are better then stock iron manifolds. You can argue over the size of the primary tubes etc, but one thing for sure, there isn't any FE that needs tri-y headers for more torque.

The issue is installing a set. Some people pull off the heads, drop the headers in, get as many bolts started as they can, then bolt the heads back on.

The Hookers will fit but take a hammer with a ding here and a ding there to clear weird places of interference. The primary tubes are also on the small side. Collectors angle down a little to much since they are intended to run open on a race car, not necessarily plumb to a full exhaust system.

The real "Super comps" are 2-1/8" tubes and hang down like a gorilla dragging it's knuckles on the ground. They are also thinner for lower gross weight.

Personally I would recommend buying them uncoated, fitting them to your car, then send them out for coating.

Save the original manifolds for when you sell the car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

So essentially what you have expressed is the headers are a pain in the rear. But ultimately you mention the hookers. So you would install the hookers.

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 22, 2018, 11:03:17 AM
All, a controversial subject.  Any of them however are better then stock iron manifolds. You can argue over the size of the primary tubes etc, but one thing for sure, there isn't any FE that needs tri-y headers for more torque.

The issue is installing a set. Some people pull off the heads, drop the headers in, get as many bolts started as they can, then bolt the heads back on.

The Hookers will fit but take a hammer with a ding here and a ding there to clear weird places of interference. The primary tubes are also on the small side. Collectors angle down a little to much since they are intended to run open on a race car, not necessarily plumb to a full exhaust system.

The real "Super comps" are 2-1/8" tubes and hang down like a gorilla dragging it's knuckles on the ground. They are also thinner for lower gross weight.

Personally I would recommend buying them uncoated, fitting them to your car, then send them out for coating.

I have all UNGOLD cars

gt350hr

FPA and keep all the original stuff stored for the future.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on June 22, 2018, 11:24:22 AM
So essentially what you have expressed is the headers are a pain in the rear. But ultimately you mention the hookers. So you would install the hookers.

Me? Yes. The Hookers but mine needed to be "fine tuned" with a ball peen hammer here and there so if they were coated first, that would have gotten beat up.

ALL of these headers are going to be some type of a compromise in an FE Mustang. ANY of them are going to be 80 to 100 hp better then the stock GT manifolds and MAYBE the CJ iron manifolds MIGHT be 10hp better then the GT's? Maybe?

I think 4 into 1 is better then tri-y's even if the primary tubes SHOULD be 2" instead of 1-3/4"?

When I had the Boss 351 in my 68 it had "Pro Comp" headers on it. 2" primaries. 36" long. 3-1/2" collectors. Fit like a vine clinging to the floor.

The big deal in an FE is the center two spark plugs on each head. They fall right onto the front uprights. Those are the trouble areas and the turn downs have little room there.

Stans headers were $1,100 the last time (3 years ago) and when I asked about the zbar he got all pissy, yelled at me to come into this century and use a hydraulic clutch, said I don't deserve his headers and hung up. So I guess if you are running an automatic trans, you're ok? Dunno.

The locals love him.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Gotcha the slight usage of a tap it wrench is a must and the power steering bracket massaging also when we had them
Enjoy your adventures

I have all UNGOLD cars

Bob Gaines

Was the taking off the heads direction some kind of a typo? I have never heard of someone taking off the cylinder heads to install headers  :o. I only mention it because I could envision a collective "gulp" in the "force" as people read that . That might just scare the hell out of a newbie to FE Mustangs/Shelby's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 22, 2018, 01:31:16 PM

The real "Super comps" are
Was the taking off the heads direction some kind of a typo? I have never heard of someone taking off the cylinder heads to install headers  :o. I only mention it because I could envision a collective "gulp" in the "force" as people read that . That might just scare the hell out of a newbie to FE Mustangs/Shelby's.

we concur

I have all UNGOLD cars

For heavy street action, I no longer believe headers are a must. Have you seen how small exhaust ports on modern engines with much higher power ratings are? Look at the ports on a modern LS7.

I am not saying headers aren't best for max power. So no arguing that.

Of course the 385 is a better engine design than the FE from the get go, but here is an interesting "cheater" motor with cast iron exhaust manifolds.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2011/01/StopgapE28093StangE280941971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1/3694811.html

Me? I would seriously consider a 428cj exhaust system with extrude honed cast iron manifolds for street use.

Pure stealth and still very good power potential.

BGlover67

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 22, 2018, 01:31:16 PM

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

427heaven

^^^^^  NO, GT 500 owner will say that, he might think that for 15 minutes while changing plugs, but that will become a fleeting thought when he mashes on the loud pedal. There is no replacement for large displacement! That coming from a lover of all things fast, small and large engines. ;D