News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Headers for GT500

Started by dabigpud, June 21, 2018, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

I will get the Hooker number I am running on 2 of my 427-428 powered cars. The fitment and performance is awesome, you will need to run a power steering drop down bracket no biggie you can get them anywhere go fast FE power products are sold.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 22, 2018, 01:31:16 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on June 22, 2018, 11:03:17 AM
All, a controversial subject.  Any of them however are better then stock iron manifolds. You can argue over the size of the primary tubes etc, but one thing for sure, there isn't any FE that needs tri-y headers for more torque.

The issue is installing a set. Some people pull off the heads, drop the headers in, get as many bolts started as they can, then bolt the heads back on.

The Hookers will fit but take a hammer with a ding here and a ding there to clear weird places of interference. The primary tubes are also on the small side. Collectors angle down a little to much since they are intended to run open on a race car, not necessarily plumb to a full exhaust system.

The real "Super comps" are 2-1/8" tubes and hang down like a gorilla dragging it's knuckles on the ground. They are also thinner for lower gross weight.

Personally I would recommend buying them uncoated, fitting them to your car, then send them out for coating.

Save the original manifolds for when you sell the car.
Was the taking off the heads direction some kind of a typo? I have never heard of someone taking off the cylinder heads to install headers  :o. I only mention it because I could envision a collective "gulp" in the "force" as people read that . That might just scare the hell out of a newbie to FE Mustangs/Shelby's.

It wasn't a mistake by me. It was a while ago. I have to think about who told me that? I don't remember who at this moment.

I suppose you could install them in a weekend if your finger tips don't give out?  At least in totally elapsed time, not considering the rest breaks and the time needed for your fingers to heal?

Everything is a trade off? I would think the "gasp" would be equally as profound by the Concourse people at the thought of someone putting headers on a nice '67 GT500? Depends on one's perspective?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

427heaven:  Agreed on the mad love for the FE and all things fast.

But please send me your secret for only being frustrated for 15 minutes while changing plugs. That's more like 2 hours of swearing and bloody knuckles for me.

BTW: No power steering on my KR. It had been removed by PO before I bought the car back in '82, and I've come to like the "steering by armstrong" except when parallel parking on a busy boulevard.  Saves me doing extra forearm reps at the gym, though.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

A three foot long extension and the special socket with the built in universal on it. Makes changing the plugs much easier.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Side-Oilers

Can you post a picture of that setup?  Any help with spark plug changing would be much appreciated!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

I am photo challenged. Craftsman , Snap on , Harbor Freight etc , all have a 13/16ths plug socket with a built in universal on the end. The three foot extension allows you to "get away" from the confined area and out where you aren't cutting your hands up. We discussed this process at length before the crash happened.
    Randy

Side-Oilers

Thanks Randy. I have that socket.  I will buy a long extension and give it a try. Thanks.

Sorry to take this thread to changing spark plugs. But that goes along with which headers fit best.
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

Notice I didn't suggest any tricks on putting the headers on LOL That is a major pain. I have done it many times and still dread it. Good luck. In the end the performance gain IS worth it.

FL SAAC

+ 1 no replacement for displacment
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Any idea about what the FPA headers retail for..?

427heaven

There are a few different variables to changing plugs. As Randy stated if you have a long extension it gets you away for some leverage. Depends on your strength,abilities,patience,and tool chest. To start you need a swivel or a universal joint built into the socket, the shorter the swivel the better. I use 1/2 inch drive and 3/8 and even a 1/4 inch drive to get the plugs out that have all ready been cracked loose. Make sure your socket has the rubber insert to hold onto your plugs MAKE SURE OK this will help you. I use mostly 12-18 inch extensions to crack them loose than put your handy dandy 1/4 inch drive set in there and walla not that big a deal. For those that are not well versed on this matter maybe 1/2 hour Listen, do, then report back we are here to help navigate the complex dinosaur world. ;D

shelbydoug

Quote from: 557 on June 22, 2018, 05:55:40 PM

You need to call and get a quote from Stan. 3 years ago the price was $1,100.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: 557 on June 22, 2018, 05:55:40 PM

This happens to be in regards to 351C headers in a Mustang but it will give you a ballpark idea.

Yes we certainly do !! 3/8" one piece flanges 2v or 4V ports. 1 3/4" HD 16 Ga into 3" ball/ socket collectors all with MAX ground clearance !! 4 speed or "ANY" automatics. Std steer/ power steer with dropped bracket or Borgeson box upgrade. $695 bare/ + $275 in full ceramic coatings.  Currently 3 weeks backlogged .

Stan

427heaven

The ones to consider are Hooker super comps, they don't hang too low my cars are lowered and clear most everything. You will need to navigate steep driveways a little bit of an an angle. They have the 4 bolt flange on every port, they fit most any cylinder head combo you can come up with. Make sure you specify a MUSTANG and not a FAIRLANE they are different and ran those on my 67 427 fairlane equally as good. Good Luck

Side-Oilers

427heaven: Your plug changing procedure sounds a lot like mine. I use about a dozen combos of short/medium extensions, drive sizes, swivels, rubber-insert socket lengths, and swear words to get 'er done. My best time is about 90 minutes for all eight, but the most recent took over two hours and lots of blood.  Either I'm getting slower or my car is finding new ways to thwart me.

Thanks for the added tips and tricks. I will try them all. (Hopefully I won't need another plug change for a year or so, though!)
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model