Author Topic: GT350 Air Cleaner Base  (Read 3375 times)

bhoulis

• View Profile
GT350 Air Cleaner Base
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
Should a 67 GT350 air cleaner base have a fitting for pcv hose connection? Thanks. B

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
Re: GT350 Air Cleaner Base
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
   Yes.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
   Yes.
Randy ,is correct but only on 67 GT350's with thermactor (not many of those) got the base with the large nipple for the hose coming off the breather cap like all 65/66 GT350's. The rest of 67 GT350 production run came with a open emission air cleaner base. The assemblyline type open emmision base came with one small 1/8 nipple that was plugged. It was located in the same area that the larger nipple was located on at . I believe we have discussed this before after the big crash.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
   Yes.
Randy ,is correct but only on 67 GT350's with thermactor (not many of those) got the base with the large nipple for the hose coming off the breather cap like all 65/66 GT350's. The rest of 67 GT350 production run came with a open emission air cleaner base. The assemblyline type open emmision base came with one small 1/8 nipple that was plugged. It was located in the same area that the larger nipple was located on at . I believe we have discussed this before after the big crash.
FYI I picked up a nice 67 GT350 air cleaner assembly recently the first one I have had in years.They are rare. Always try to have detail stuff on hand  just in case someone needs original items for their car  . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
Thanks Randy and Bob. I searched "air cleaner" and nothing definitive came up. Maybe I missed something or searched wrong. Will try and find a picture on the web, now that I know what its configuration is. Brian

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
.............The assemblyline type open emmision base came with one small 1/8 nipple that was plugged. It was located in the same area that the larger nipple was located on at . I believe we have discussed this before after the big crash.

Posted this on the CMF a couple of weeks ago. Figured it would help here also. Not certain what other applications is was used on - notice what appears to be an old gold paint job. Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »
   Yes that is the one I thought the OP was asking about. I have also seen a "couple" of them with the larger pipe for the valve cover breather hose there but capped with a plastic/rubber cap and a Corbin clamp securing it. That was 40+ years ago.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
.............The assemblyline type open emmision base came with one small 1/8 nipple that was plugged. It was located in the same area that the larger nipple was located on at . I believe we have discussed this before after the big crash.

Posted this on the CMF a couple of weeks ago. Figured it would help here also. Not certain what other applications is was used on - notice what appears to be an old gold paint job. Hope this helps

MKII Cobra's are another application except using the early style chrome lid. I'm not sure about the MKI .

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »

MKII Cobra's are another application except using the early style chrome lid. I'm not sure about the MKI .

Did this base have a date code stamped on it?  If I read this correclty, this is the correct base for a 67 GT350, correct?    If so, would it have a 7A date stamp? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »

Did this base have a date code stamped on it?  If I read this correclty, this is the correct base for a 67 GT350, correct?    If so, would it have a 7A date stamp?
Correct non thermactor 67 GT350 air cleaner base.  The bases I have seen still on 67 GT350's and of the ones that I have been able to make out since some ether didn't have stamps or were eligible have had a earlier date code for whatever reason.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
Correct non thermactor 67 GT350 air cleaner base.  The bases I have seen still on 67 GT350's and of the ones that I have been able to make out since some ether didn't have stamps or were eligible have had a earlier date code for whatever reason.

Thank you Bob.   I have one of these with no date and painted the same gold color.  I was confused with it not having a date stamping.

Is there any difference between an early car and a late car?  Did all non-thermacor 67 GT350's get this base?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:55:44 PM by silverton_ford »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »

Thank you Bob.   I have one of these with no date and painted the same gold color.  I was confused with it not having a date stamping.

Is there any difference between an early car and a late car?  Did all non-thermacor 67 GT350's get this base?
All of the survivor non thermactor 67 GT 350 cars that I have studied early and late have had the same base with the small nipple. Of course that isn't all of them . At the very least it is the most typical one. As far as dated. I have seen dated and non dated original bases for the closed emission (all 65/66 ) GT350's. The dated is the more typical it seems . The one used on a 67 would have a blue painted base. A gold base would indicate it had been used on a 65 engine. The base would have to be repainted blue for use on a 67.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 02:37:16 PM »
Got it.  Thank you!  ;D