News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Rolled fenders?

Started by jgroce1985, June 23, 2018, 04:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgroce1985

Guys I have read that Shelby rolled fenders on some of the gt500 for 67 ...is this true?...My car with 36k original miles has rolled fenders and the original owner whom I purchased it from says he never rolled the fenders nor did he have any reason to....if they didn't come rolled what would your suggestion be since I'm restoring the car ..Buy new fenders or keep these ?

J_Speegle

During 1967 production Ford had a problem with the new 390 Mustangs with the new 70 series (wide oval)  tires and at one point issued a Special Service Letter stating they would start rolling fenders on cars equipped with those tires and for dealers with cars in stock and customer cars (if they complained) to use the base ball bat trick to roll the edges but not fold them over. This was not like the 69 Boss 302 rolling of fenders by the plant since in 67 they didn't insert a arched rod in the edge/fold to keep it from folding over.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16529.msg103485#msg103485
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on June 23, 2018, 05:00:57 PM
During 1967 production Ford had a problem with the new 70 series tires and at one point issued a TSB stating they would start rolling fenders on cars equipped with those tires and for dealers with cars in stock and customer cars (if they complained) to use the base ball bat trick to roll the edges but not fold them over. This was not like the 69 Boss 302 rolling of fenders by the plant since in 67 they didn't insert a arched rod in the edge/fold to keep it from folding over.
To add to the information and to address another aspect of the question, the fenders were not rolled from the factory . If you are planning on entering into concours competition where the point of competition is to restore to as delivered to the first customer then there will be a issue unless you have documentation to support it being done when the car was new first delivered . A owners say so does not carry much weight in this respect given the many proven inconsistencies (to put it politely ) that unfortunately now challenge all owner claims because of the others. Expect a small deduction if you can not provide reasonable proof that it was done before first delivery.  If you were not going to show in concours then I would leave it alone IMO. A TSB modification could be done anytime after the car was sold.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jgroce1985

Thanks guys for your opinion...anyone else have any input they would like to add ...am I the only one with a 67 gt500 with rolled fenders ...the original owner is not someone who I would consider a liar or someone who would miss inform me especially since I've already purchased the car and he has nothing to gain or lose ..I bought the car from the original owner and it has been sitting since 1974 ..

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jgroce1985 on June 23, 2018, 10:53:59 PM
Thanks guys for your opinion...anyone else have any input they would like to add ...am I the only one with a 67 gt500 with rolled fenders ...the original owner is not someone who I would consider a liar or someone who would miss inform me especially since I've already purchased the car and he has nothing to gain or lose ..I bought the car from the original owner and it has been sitting since 1974 ..
Just so you don't come away with the wrong impression not all owners misinformation is the result of bad intentions. Close to fifty years ago a small detail that was done after the fact may not have registered because it was virtually meaningless at the time and a owner just doesn't recall now present day. Like I said a TSB could have been done anytime after the fact too. Not to say the dealer couldn't have or didn't do it but more then likely done after the fact. It was not typical or ordinary to be done to every car. Other then ordinary claims require other then ordinary proof. It is not any kind of big deal unless you are trying to convince someone who knows otherwise. As I said before if entering in concours and unless you want to try and get every possible point I wouldn't mess with it. It is kind of like the assemblyline paint job where the cars had orange peal but most restorers and enthusiast alike prefer a slick paint job .What have considered to do there? Many just take the point deduction . It is just a matter of choices.  I suppose you can just keep asking until you hear what you want to hear if it makes you feel better. If another one comes along and has rolled fenders that just proves that the fenders was rolled sometime in the cars life TSB dealer or owner done . Best of luck with the restoration what ever you decide to do.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Also you should realize when these cars were near new they were just "used cars" not"valuable collectibles".People did all kinds of crazy things,believe me I've seen them.My car was " only" 15 years old when I bought it and you would be amazed at the "good ideas"some of the P.O.s had (and acted upon)..Frankly I am kind of amazed the car is as intact as it is.Most of the ones I looked at back then weren't and some were really hammered.That is what makes a TRUE survivor super rare.

67GT500#1594

My car has rolled front fenders. Heck it even has rolled rear qtrs from drag racing. My car will never be a concours car, so I see the mods as part of its previous history.

My car has a radio? I've still got the original window sticker, no radio. What do you do? Keep the radio or restore it like it was sold? Personally I don't like the antenna but I like the look of the radio inside. I've got a good mind to fix the fender hole and use a hidden antenna. That way it's "correct" on the outside but easily fixed on the inside. Tomato-Tomoto...

eric lipper

Mine has rolled fenders and whether they were done at the factory or the backyard doesn't matter much to me.  Now that the prices of our cars are softening up the difference between a concours car and a shiny restoration may be less relevant.  I was at Mohegan Sun yesterday and a nice driver 1967 GT500 with parchment interior sold for $85K (with rolled fenders). 
1947 Beech Staggerwing
1955 Beech Bonanza
1963 Vette Split Window
1965 Jag Conv
1966 GT350
1967 GT500
1968 GT500KR Conv
1969 Boss 429
1969 GT500 Conv
1978 King Cobra
1984 Aerostar 700P
2001 King Air F90GT
2002 Enzo
2005 Ford GT
2005 NSX

68stangcjfb

I'm not sure about 1967. But by mid 1968, Ford knew there was a problem. On April 15th 1968, a letter was issued to Ford dealers eliminating the wheel lip molding option (and bumper guards) on Mustangs equipped with F-70-14 tires. This is why 68 1/2 Cobra Jet Mustangs (excluding 135 cars) didn't have wheel lip moldings or bumper guards. It's interesting that Shelby's still used them after this with their larger E-70-15 tires. I tried attaching the letter to this post but I keep getting an error message saying the uploader is full. I could Email the letter to someone else. maybe they will have better luck posting it.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

68stangcjfb

68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special