Author Topic: What has happened to Shelby prices?  (Read 18895 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened to Shelby prices?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
  Why,because if it’s later the high rollers have more free drinks in em?? 8)

Or they are somewhere else sleeping it off.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »
ok here comes the bad guy.....like Bob Dylan said maybe the times they are a changing....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
Nah
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
Kinda immaterial to me as I’ve had the thing since I was an 18 yr. old punk and so for sentimental reasons I would never sell it.Weve grown old(er) together.But frankly as a practical matter it would almost be better if it was undervalued for insurance rate purposes.. ;)

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
No doubt, the market is changing. Some prices are getting stronger while others have settled.

The difference in price between great cars and cars with stories is getting wider.

Great cars continue to be MUCH harder to find than they were a decade ago, especially in the last few years. Generally when guys get ahold of a great car...they just dont sell it on again because they understand how hard it is to find good stuff anymore.

Of course, one can always make the assertion that people who comment on threads like this always have their own hidden motives. I do notice continually that guys who are in the market to buy might harp the doom and gloom stories while the guys with a garage full of cars might laud the market as being "on fire" and spiraling upwards in an out of control fashion.

As someone to makes his living with the cars that I am passionate for..I'm sort of incentive-ized to not say anything on a public forum. If I say the market is strong, those who I want to buy cars from might price them more aggressively to me. If I the market is weak, my potential purchasers might become more timid to paying for a particular car.

The truth is, though, I would give the market a clean bill of health right now. Prices arent increasing at a remarkable rate (they remain strong) but they certainly are not going down for most cars. Cars which are priced appropriately are selling quickly and at or near their all time highs in terms of monetary values.  Ive sold 5 65 GT350s this year...only one needed to be publicly advertised and that was only because I had sold it to a client only a month before putting it up for sale again...after I found him a better car to have instead. That car then sold to a buyer in Sweden in a very short time period.

With that said, cars which are priced unreasonably are sitting. The owners will continue to send the checks off to the insurance company while the cars take up 200 sqft in their garage. Potential buyers for these cars continue to get more and more well educated. In result, selling cars for unreasonably high prices when the cars themselves are not remarkable in some respect is much more difficult then it used to be.

I'll re-emphasize over everything else in this post, though, that finding great cars is more difficult now than it has ever been before. Which is why most guys with great cars are not needing to publicly advertise them before they find new homes. If I come up with a really good, honest, 67 GT350 4 speed car...I have 3-5 guys right now who would buy the car it is priced appropriately and truly is a nice car.  If someone isn't looking to totally gig the next guy on price and the car is a good one...it wont be for sale for long.

Like all other forms of collecting, quality will continue to matter to buyers more and more as the years go on. And quality will continue to be harder and harder to find.

Kind regards,
Vern
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:46:08 AM by Vernon Estes »
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »
Kinda immaterial to me as I’ve had the thing since I was an 18 yr. old punk and so for sentimental reasons I would never sell it.Weve grown old(er) together.But frankly as a practical matter it would almost be better if it was undervalued for insurance rate purposes.. ;)

+ 1 that is why we drive all our used cars.

we bought them when they weren't popular,  we bought them because we liked them...see down below at the bottom, what did CS say.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-SHELBY-GT500-219892

Lot #712 - This highly original Shelby is one of 2,048 fastbacks produced in 1967. It is powered by its original big-block 428ci V8 police interceptor engine with 10:1 compression, high-lift camshaft and a pair of 600 CFA Holley 4-barrel carburetors with progressive linkage and vacuum secondary. The engine resides in a professionally detailed engine bay and is backed by an automatic transmission. This Shelby comes equipped with progressive-rate springs, power front disc brakes, rear drum brakes, 10-spoke original aluminum wheels, factory oil and temperature Stewart Warner Gauges, original AM radio and many more original Shelby components.

VIN 67410F2U01724
Exterior Color DARK BLUE
Interior Color PARCHMENT
Cylinders 8
Engine Size 428CI
Transmission 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC

Lot 712 noted sold at $93,500 (includes buyers commission)

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »

Mirrors my situation.  Have had my rust free, low mileage, GT500 since 19 years old.  for 41 years I've fawned over every stitch, nut and bolt to make it as perfect as possible, (In my eyes.)   Very rarely shown in the last 15 years and now a man cave fixture.  Certain there are 100s like it, out of circulation and unregistered.   Through a network of acquaintances have been offered profoundly stupid money for it.  My refusal to sell has upped the market for everyone else a tiny bit.  Suspect many of those offered for sale bring little joy to their owners for the most likely reasons.
.       Well my deal is a bit different as my car is far,far from perfect(but I do know exactly every little thing that is wrong with it)and I drive the living crap out of it weekly when I am around it...However I am very protective of it in my own way...If anything bad happens to it it had better be at my own hands,or there will be SERIOUS consequences.....And,no I am not kidding!!Just shows there is more than one way to love a car.... ;D

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
No doubt, the market is changing. Some prices are getting stronger while others have settled.

The difference in price between great cars and cars with stories is getting wider.

Great cars continue to be MUCH harder to find than they were a decade ago, especially in the last few years. Generally when guys get ahold of a great car...they just dont sell it on again because they understand how hard it is to find good stuff anymore.

Of course, one can always make the assertion that people who comment on threads like this always have their own hidden motives. I do notice continually that guys who are in the market to buy might harp the doom and gloom stories while the guys with a garage full of cars might laud the market as being "on fire" and spiraling upwards in an out of control fashion.

As someone to makes his living with the cars that I am passionate for..I'm sort of incentive-ized to not say anything on a public forum. If I say the market is strong, those who I want to buy cars from might price them more aggressively to me. If I the market is weak, my potential purchasers might become more timid to paying for a particular car.

The truth is, though, I would give the market a clean bill of health right now. Prices arent increasing at a remarkable rate (they remain strong) but they certainly are not going down for most cars. Cars which are priced appropriately are selling quickly and at or near their all time highs in terms of monetary values.  Ive sold 5 65 GT350s this year...only one needed to be publicly advertised and that was only because I had sold it to a client only a month before putting it up for sale again...after I found him a better car to have instead. That car then sold to a buyer in Sweden in a very short time period.

With that said, cars which are priced unreasonably are sitting. The owners will continue to send the checks off to the insurance company while the cars take up 200 sqft in their garage. Potential buyers for these cars continue to get more and more well educated. In result, selling cars for unreasonably high prices when the cars themselves are not remarkable in some respect is much more difficult then it used to be.

I'll re-emphasize over everything else in this post, though, that finding great cars is more difficult now than it has ever been before. Which is why most guys with great cars are not needing to publicly advertise them before they find new homes. If I come up with a really good, honest, 67 GT350 4 speed car...I have 3-5 guys right now who would buy the car it is priced appropriately and truly is a nice car.  If someone isn't looking to totally gig the next guy on price and the car is a good one...it wont be for sale for long.

Like all other forms of collecting, quality will continue to matter to buyers more and more as the years go on. And quality will continue to be harder and harder to find.

Kind regards,
Vern

Well said, Vern!  I would agree wholeheartedly.
Nothing beats a classic!

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
+ 1

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
I guess it gets down to having the Shelby vehicle because you always dreamed of having it and want to enjoy it as it was meant to be driven or for investment value.  Somewhere there is a balance for both personal values for owning to show or go or somewhere in between.  8)

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »
I agree with most of the above.  I bought my 66 Hertz 20 years ago because I loved the cars and always wanted one since I rode in one in high school about 1970, its my 3rd Shelby.  None were bought for investments and the fact that they have risen in price is just a bonus . If the car drops to zero dollars tomorrow it would not be a great day, but I would still like the car as much as I did 20 years ago.
Dave 

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
Seems like a lot of people here are “window dressing....”
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

jgroce1985

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »
At the last GAA classic car auction in Greensboro a fully restored 67 gt500 brittany blue sold for 93k, It literally made me sick on my stomach because I left before it went up thinking it would be in 140's...If I had known she would be sitting beside my other brittany blue as we speak..

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
At the last GAA classic car auction in Greensboro a fully restored 67 gt500 brittany blue sold for 93k, It literally made me sick on my stomach because I left before it went up thinking it would be in 140's...If I had known she would be sitting beside my other brittany blue as we speak..

I'm guessing that was a no sale as it doesn't show up in past results on their site.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge