News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hand inscribed Shelby Tags

Started by BGlover67, June 25, 2018, 02:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

I had an interesting conversation with a true veteran of this hobby yesterday and the subject of the hand inscribed Shelby Tags came up.  There is talk that SA made up correct stamped tags to replace the early hand inscribed tags that came on the early-early cars (SA date before 11/01/66).  A few of these tags have found they way onto eHell recently, only to cause much trouble. 

What I find interesting is that many folks look at having a hand engraved tag as a negative.  I would have been tickled pink if my car had one (both 83 and 26 sadly don't have one).  I guess it goes back to the pre-internet information explosion days when everyone was still trying to figure out just what all these early 67 differences really meant.  Some folks tried to tell these owners that their cars weren't legit because their Shelby Tag wasn't stamped.  Funny how times change I imagine.   ;)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Richstang

I want names! Who thinks having a hand engraved VIN is a negative!
;D just kidding.

As long as they are the original tags and not repro's, it should not matter.
So far, I've seen 9 hand engraved tags (MOST all before 11/01/66 as you mention).
2 were from the first day of production. Rare, but another neat early '67 detail.

Curiously, I recall seeing 427 Cobras with hand engraved tags, but I assume those were done in England.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on June 25, 2018, 02:19:51 PM
I had an interesting conversation with a true veteran of this hobby yesterday and the subject of the hand inscribed Shelby Tags came up. There is talk that SA made up correct stamped tags to replace the early hand inscribed tags that came on the early-early cars (SA date before 11/01/66). A few of these tags have found they way onto eHell recently, only to cause much trouble. 

What I find interesting is that many folks look at having a hand engraved tag as a negative.  I would have been tickled pink if my car had one (both 83 and 26 sadly don't have one).  I guess it goes back to the pre-internet information explosion days when everyone was still trying to figure out just what all these early 67 differences really meant.  Some folks tried to tell these owners that their cars weren't legit because their Shelby Tag wasn't stamped.  Funny how times change I imagine.   ;)
FYI it is not just talk . You most likely already knew that but I would like to clarify for those reading so that there is no misunderstanding. There is substantial evidence to prove that it is fact that the hand engraved tags were supposed to be replaced with stamped tags that were made up for that specific purpose. Some tags got missed for various reasons back in the day.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

rcgt350

So it is possible that cars completed up to and including Oct31/66, the stamps were not available yet? As of Nov 01/66 and on , it appears that the stamps were available.

BGlover67

Yes, but what's really interesting is that some of the these 'NOS' Shelby VIN tags correspond to cars that didn't receive a hand engraved plate in the first place.  I know of two such plates.  Why would they do that?  My only thought is that perhaps when they got the actual stamping machine unpacked and working for the '67 model year, (say November 1st), they may not have kept such great records as to which cars actually received what plate.  Perhaps they made up plates for the first 60 cars or so to have on hand?  It seems like a big stretch I realize, but why else would these plates exist?   ???
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

capecodmustang.com

I recently bought car # 11

Hand engraved tag.....

I think it's kinda special...

I've owned 8-9 double digit 67's and this is the first hand engraved

shelbydoug

I first saw those on the Cobras in the early '70s. No one knew enough about them. Most ventured that they were somehow counterfeit. Who knew?

I'm thinking that's the strangest thing that I ever saw from a manufacturer?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: BGlover67 on June 26, 2018, 04:58:58 AM
Yes, but what's really interesting is that some of the these 'NOS' Shelby VIN tags correspond to cars that didn't receive a hand engraved plate in the first place.  I know of two such plates.  Why would they do that?  My only thought is that perhaps when they got the actual stamping machine unpacked and working for the '67 model year, (say November 1st), they may not have kept such great records as to which cars actually received what plate. Perhaps they made up plates for the first 60 cars or so to have on hand?]  It seems like a big stretch I realize, but why else would these plates exist?   ???

Shelby American moved into in LAX around May of 1965. I would think they were all unpacked by October '66.

We can only speculate why this all happened, but you probably are close on the number of plates made. Was one of the "new guys" told to make the VIN tags, couldn't find the stamps and proceeded to hand engrave them to get the job done? When discovered by a supervisor, they had replacement stamped tags made for the full range of VIN numbers (not knowing exactly which cars had the hand engraved tags, since they were not completed in order). As cars were pulled out off the lot for shipment, the tags could be replaced quickly. (No need to wander the lots for hours to figure out which cars did or didn't get the hand engraved tags among the hundred or more out there.) 

Richstang

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on June 26, 2018, 07:49:57 AM
I recently bought car # 11

Hand engraved tag.....

I think it's kinda special...

I've owned 8-9 double digit 67's and this is the first hand engraved

Thanks for adding this note.

Unless there is a typo in the registry #0011 was completed by SA on 12/9/66.
That throws off the theory of hand engraved tags on cars built before 11/1/66.

Edit;
Since this car was an early SJ build 10/11/66 and SA did not complete it for almost two months afterward.
The hand engraved tag may have been added in the same time frame as the known other cars.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on June 26, 2018, 04:58:58 AM
Yes, but what's really interesting is that some of the these 'NOS' Shelby VIN tags correspond to cars that didn't receive a hand engraved plate in the first place.  I know of two such plates.  Why would they do that?  My only thought is that perhaps when they got the actual stamping machine unpacked and working for the '67 model year, (say November 1st), they may not have kept such great records as to which cars actually received what plate.  Perhaps they made up plates for the first 60 cars or so to have on hand?  It seems like a big stretch I realize, but why else would these plates exist?   ???
Just curious how you came to that conclusion that the particular didn't have a hand engraved tag to begin with?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby