Author Topic: Magstars, restore or reproductions  (Read 3392 times)

bhoulis

• View Profile
Magstars, restore or reproductions
« on: June 28, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »
Looking for opinions on restoring my Magstars, using my original centers and the newer DOT approved rim, versus buying new reproductions. Other than the approximately $100 per wheel savings by restoring mine, would there be any other factors to consider? Thanks. Brian

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Magstars, restore or reproductions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
Looking for opinions on restoring my Magstars, using my original centers and the newer DOT approved rim, versus buying new reproductions. Other than the approximately $100 per wheel savings by restoring mine, would there be any other factors to consider? Thanks. Brian
It is a shame that you can not restore the centers with the original rims. Consider the condition of your centers if you are going to go the restore route . A badly nicked center for instance may not restore well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »
Have you found anyone who actually will restore a Magstar and reuse your original outer rim?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Have you found anyone who actually will restore a Magstar and reuse your original outer rim?
I think you run into DOT/liability issues...Would YOU want to be liable for a rim separation at speed on someone else’s “valuable collectible “? I wouldn’t......

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Anyone re-rimming vintage centers anymore?

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
i have done both .... I had my original Magstars restored (re-rimmed) for Concours and I purchased a set of reproductions for radials (shakedown miles and driving). The appearance of the centers is subtlety different. If you are going Concours have the originals restored (re-rimmed).

My experience with the restored (re-rimmed) originals was that they leaked air until sealed using a black tar / rubberized material (not visible when the tire is mounted). The a couple of the restored (re-rimmed) originals also took quite a bit of weight to balance. That may have been due to running reproduction polyglas tires or the fact that I had the tire shop orient the valve stem to the tire lettering aligned the same on all tires.

The reproductions with radial tires took almost no weight addition to balance. Yes, I had the valve stem aligned to tire letting aligned the same on all tires with the reproduction Magstars and radials too. If you are going to run radials, drive aggressively .... I would recommend: go with the reproductions.

Rick (aka: Engineer)

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
  Good time to bring this up:  I missed out by having bought a used original Magstar years back.  If I owned it today, as I sold it at a swap meet, I wonder how hard would it be to drill out the rivets, and, tap the center out with a hammer and a block of wood.

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »
I went and pulled the trigger on a set of repops from Paradise wheel. It looks like they are back in production after a bit of a supplier issue. Will use the best of my originals for the spare. Maybe some time in the future someone will be restoring original rims, fixing dents/curb rash, rechroming and re-riveting original centers. Probably will be a "for display only, not for road use" disclaimer if they are. Brian

azdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
Paradise Wheel is shipping my repo magstars next week. It has been more than 10 weeks since I ordered. Maybe I caught them at a bad time. Looking forward to seeing them. I ordered them with natural finish centers.... 8)

I am curious, after I ordered my set I noticed the price on Ebay went up to $450 per wheel. I was charged the old price. Were you quoted more than $400 per wheel?

Pat
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:58:54 PM by azdriver »

bhoulis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Craig said they were unable to get the chrome rims until recently. If you ordered 10 weeks ago I think the price was $400 per wheel. I ordered mine 7 days ago and am getting one of the last 2 sets in the current run. They shipped them out today. Unfortunately I waited a little too long to order so I got them at $450 per wheel. Time to pick out a set of tires. Brian

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Note to all - regarding balancing, some Mag Stars prefer Lug Centric vs Hub Centric balancing so try and find a mounting/balancing shop that do the Lug Centric.  The Mag Stars seem to take more weight maybe because of the rivets/fasteners holding the two parts together.

Yes, the riveted versions do benefit from sealer around the rivets on the inside of the wheel(s).

Great that now you can get centers that are not painted - Thanks!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:20 AM »
Note to all - regarding balancing, some Mag Stars prefer Lug Centric vs Hub Centric balancing so try and find a mounting/balancing shop that do the Lug Centric.  The Mag Stars seem to take more weight maybe because of the rivets/fasteners holding the two parts together.

Yes, the riveted versions do benefit from sealer around the rivets on the inside of the wheel(s).

Great that now you can get centers that are not painted - Thanks!
FYI the light colored wheels were still painted and not bare aluminum . It is probably because bare porous aluminum would quickly oxidize and get dirty.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 02:27:33 AM »
Craig will paint them any color you want if you send him quality catalyzed paint mixed to the color you want.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »
  Got to reply:  I've seen more than a couple sets of Magstars and studied plenty of photos.  Seems the early cars had natural spokes.  No paint.  And I'm sticking to that.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
While on the subject of Magstars. What are a set of 4 worth that are NOT mint but decent enough to use on a driver? Not all pitted out and oxidized but a 50 year old set stored right for many decades? Thank. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)