News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Thermactor canister support

Started by 2112, June 29, 2018, 09:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Though I am not even sure '67 GT350's were ever equipped with Thermactor systems, I came across a listing that shows the canister directly connected to the smog pump.

Did small and big block cars share the same pumps and canisters? I was under the impression that canisters were attached to the shock tower.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7ZE-9B447-A-289-Thermactor-Smog-Pump-Bracket-1967-Mercury-Cougar-Ford-Mustang/192583142276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

JD

There are'67 GT350's with the Thermactor, and some with A/C and Thermactor - just not a lot of them.

One was Judged at the last VIR SAAC Convention (been a few years) and did very well.  I think it was Ricks' (engineer) car done by Jeff James.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on June 29, 2018, 09:57:00 AM
Though I am not even sure '67 GT350's were ever equipped with Thermactor systems, I came across a listing that shows the canister directly connected to the smog pump.

Did small and big block cars share the same pumps and canisters?

Are you asking about Shelbys or Mustangs & other Fords. Plenty of differences? 

For small block Mustangs 66-67 the attachment of the filter to the pump was standard.  67 GT500's were sometimes attached to the shock tower for some of the production year and were not other periods. Small blocks (April through the end of the production year) the filters/canisters were attached to the pump.

I'm recall of two different canisters and four different tops or covers. So there are allot of different combinations depending on car, production period, where they were built (yes some Mustangs out of Dearborn had Thermactor systems) and likely other governing details.

Pumps are the same but rear covers can be different as well as the pulleys.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Considering my question was more vague than I realized, you answered pretty much most of the questions.

Did GT500's ever have the canister mounted directly to the pump? If so, also starting in April?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on June 29, 2018, 05:52:18 PM
Considering my question was more vague than I realized, you answered pretty much most of the questions.

Happens to us all ;)

Quote from: 2112 on June 29, 2018, 05:52:18 PMDid GT500's ever have the canister mounted directly to the pump? If so, also starting in April?

Never seen one attached to the pump with a metal bracket like done for the small block examples.  The two attaching hoses seem to isolate and hold the canister in place fairly well though you can find examples where a PO has wired or strapped it to other items (example starter cable) to reduce the vibration and additional movement
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on June 29, 2018, 05:52:18 PM

Did GT500's ever have the canister mounted directly to the pump? If so, also starting in April?
No. It was ether mounted to the shock tower or unattached floating in the breeze style. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby