News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Rear Caps (fender extensions) -- Hardware

Started by Bossbill, June 30, 2018, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossbill

You can usually tell what part of the car I'm restoring by my posts ...

I'm fairly certain the caps have been off of this car, so I'm having issues with the correct concours parts for re-assembly.

I have the 67 Shelby Master Assy Manual but some of the information is sparse.
Page 31 lists the components to assemble the rear end caps, but there are many blanks and issues.

The '1.B' bolts are listed as 378190-S2 (not found in any hardware list), which may actually be 378196-S2. I have lots of the later.
There is a "Seal, Felt" listed which is a 380002-S (washer with plastic washer), which AMK simply lists as a washer.
And then the three screws which may be '1.D' and listed as 376362-s #6x1/2 screw, but that seems odd given where they go.

What do you guys have?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

johnsshelby

the Caps had  aircraft Nut Plates  riveted to them and I think  #10 hex head screws.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: johnsshelby on July 08, 2018, 01:55:32 PM
the Caps had  aircraft Nut Plates  riveted to them and I think  #10 hex head screws.
Nope. You must be thinking of different year and or a different part . The three screws on the outside are Philips pan head screws with a P/O finish . The bolts on the inside of the trunk are the same seems type bolts similar to the fender bolts .Typically they had a RBW makers mark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

Master Assembly manual:  Do you mean the one Branda sells?  If so, remember, the numerous entire year assembly changes ARE NOT edited into it.  Many of the drawings are dated, lets say "late".  AND, I'm not complaining about it either.  You have to do some research based on the build date(s) from Ford-San Jose, and Shelby American.  Take notes on the pages that fit your car as researched and studied.

motorhead428

Does someone have pictures of the fender extension with 3 exterior attachment holes. Mine a early 67 #185, has one exterior attachment hole on the bottom. My right one has had minor repair but the left one looks untouched.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: motorhead428 on July 08, 2018, 08:53:25 PM
Does someone have pictures of the fender extension with 3 exterior attachment holes. Mine a early 67 #185, has one exterior attachment hole on the bottom. My right one has had minor repair but the left one looks untouched.
#185 should only have one. It was only the early cars that had one the majority of production had three.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

Not sure how I missed the replies to this post.
Thanks to all who replied and to Jim (jwc66k) at the ConcoursMustang.com site for supplying me with the correct RBW bolts! I only found one in my bolt bag marked 'trunk', but Jim sent me enough to mount these correctly. Not sure how anyone can see these things (upside down with a flashlight?) but it's nice to know I have the correct bolts.
So far I have used no reproduction fasteners or nutplates and have chosen to replate or refinish everything that came on this mostly unmolested car.
If I have an incorrect fastener I source it either from my parts car or with help from guys like you.

I have a few end caps (extensions) that I've collected over the years and one of them does have the aircraft nut plates. It looks just like all the others I have, except for the nut plates. I'll snap a pic later.

I have hundreds of hours of bringing the trunk area back to concours and appreciate the help on these details.
Bill

Bossbill

Here are two pics of a rear extension I picked up. I make no claims to its suitability or originality -- only that it has aircraft style holding fasteners.
It has also had its share of repairs over the years and it still needs a lot of work!

This one has three holes in approximately the right place.
Bill

DC-DD

Quote from: Bossbill on July 17, 2018, 12:14:28 PM
Here are two pics of a rear extension I picked up. I make no claims to its suitability or originality -- only that it has aircraft style holding fasteners.
It has also had its share of repairs over the years and it still needs a lot of work!

THAT IS NOT AN ORIGINAL QUARTER EXTENSION  in case anyone is wondering.

Dominic

JD

Quote from: DC-DD on July 17, 2018, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: Bossbill on July 17, 2018, 12:14:28 PM

THAT IS NOT AN ORIGINAL QUARTER EXTENSION  in case anyone is wondering.

Dominic

^^^ What Dominic said regarding the part.

Yes to the three holes in the lower "tail" for the cars that got 3 screws.

If you are a SAAC member go to the www.SAAC.com website and log in to the members/members only section.

then the "Members Area" and the "Shelby American" it will provide a pull-down list, select the 2013 Fall issue.  There is a 3-part article on the "1967 Shelby's" it can provide some images and some (not all) reference on the many variations that effect the '67's.  (If you were a member back then the article is in print in the 2013 Annual that you may have somewhere.)  The article is about 15 pages.

There is a photo of the end caps with one screw and another with 3 screws.

Hope this helps...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

In my case OBA S7MS lettered versions went on my car.
Bill

JD

I knew I had some better images of the part ID on these, see attached...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

GT350DAVE

These are from an April built 67 Shelby. No part number.
Support the SAAC Registry

JD