News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Value Advice Please 67 GT500

Started by fastek, June 14, 2023, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastek

I'm a Boss 302 owner for the past 35 years and I have an opportunity to purchase a 67 GT500 locally.

The vehicle in question was originally Lime Gold but since changed to Black. The issue is it appears the owner added A/C at some point and I'm wondering how those two non-original issues will impact the value. It's otherwise in excellent condition and would be considered an excellent driver's car IMO.

The owner passed during Covid so there probably isn't alot of history to be had on the vehicle aside from the usual Marti reports and Shelby invoicing which clearly state it was equipped with Thermactor only.

Asking price is $160K

Thanks !!

Coralsnake

Before you start worrying about changes like color an AC; a deep dive into the history is in order.

You need to contact Dave Mathews and take a look at the Shelby Registry
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

JD

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 14, 2023, 11:22:19 AM
Before you start worrying about changes like color an AC; a deep dive into the history is in order.

+1
contact/send a PM to Dave Mathews is the '67 SAAC Registrar:
GT350DAVE

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

fastek

kkupec02

1967 GT500 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 14, 2023, 11:22:19 AM

+2 :) First worry about it being a real/original Shelby, how much of the body has been rebuilt or replaced and an inventory of what is missing. IMHO these will likely deter someone from purchasing it quicker than adding AC or the color change.

Often changes don't always change the value as much as the reduce or eliminate the number of possible buyers unless its a fire sale.

Good luck with the process
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SHELB66

Back in the early 80's I owned a '67 Shelby GT500 (#2410) that was lime gold.  It was an automatic w/o AC in need of restoration.  I sold it around 1985 to help us purchase our current home.  I noticed it in an ad somewhere a few years later.  It was fully restored and painted black.  I don't have the full Shelby number handy but it originally sold out of S&C Ford in San Francisco so it was probably a thermactor car.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

fastek

Finally saw the car yesterday. Gorgeous paint and bodywork. The owner spent a ton of money on paint and body 15 years ago. Never seen a Mustang with such straight lines. The fit and finish was damn near perfect. Car has been in the family since the father bought the car from the original owner in 1968. Odometer reads 2,300 so it's got 102,300 miles on it.

It's for certain a real Shelby but aside from the color change and A/C added it's also had a motor change to a single carb, aluminum block 428. CJ is my guess. Owner kept all the receipts over the years which was great but alas no extra original parts.

Would be a great driver but as far as appealing to a collector ..... don't think so.

tesgt350

What number is it..... is it #2410?

CharlesTurner

If the fit and finish is truly perfect, would be interesting to put a paint meter on it.  Usually requires at least some skim coating to look that good... notwithstanding fiberglass fit issues.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

azdriver

For a little perspective, I recently heard of a 67' GT500 "project" car. Price is $150k. So there is that..

Pat

tesgt350

Quote from: azdriver on June 15, 2023, 12:21:28 PM
For a little perspective, I recently heard of a 67' GT500 "project" car. Price is $150k. So there is that..

Pat

Here is a nice Red 67 that WAS Limegold for $179K with Sale Pending at Capecod Mustang.  He had 2 Project 67's that were $150K each.

http://capecodmustang.com/photo.php?directory=cars/2023_inventory/1967_candyapple_gt500/

JD

Quote from: fastek on June 15, 2023, 11:07:52 AM
Finally saw the car yesterday. Gorgeous paint and bodywork. The owner spent a ton of money on paint and body 15 years ago. Never seen a Mustang with such straight lines. The fit and finish was damn near perfect. Car has been in the family since the father bought the car from the original owner in 1968. Odometer reads 2,300 so it's got 102,300 miles on it.

It's for certain a real Shelby but aside from the color change and A/C added it's also had a motor change to a single carb, aluminum block 428. CJ is my guess. Owner kept all the receipts over the years which was great but alas no extra original parts.

Would be a great driver but as far as appealing to a collector ..... don't think so.

The footnotes for car #2410 in the current SAAC '67 Registry does not match the history the family related to the car offered, probably another car.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0