News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Holley Identification

Started by WT6066-2600, May 31, 2023, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT6066-2600

Anyone know the application for this carb, one like it on eBay states 60s Thunderbird?

Might be good for parts.

I will ship to you for just the shipping cost, PM me if interested, Joe

pbf777

Yes, this Holley has been listed as being for the '60 Thunderbird's (w/ 430 cu.in.) but this is not correct!

I have come to believe that perhaps Holley had the impression that this is what was going to happen, may have even been signaled by Ford Motor Co., perhaps Ford even issuing a P.O. number for a quantity, but then changed their mind and instead enlisted the Carter AFB for the application; as that is what went on the Lincolns and this 350 H.P. example for the '60 T-Birds was nothing more than the '59 Lincoln version engine.  Some of these might be "correct" for 383 MEL in '58 and later Mercury's, but it seems Holley might have been stuck with quite a quantity of these, and as it would seem couldn't find an O.E.M. buyer (A.M.C. wasn't around yet!  ::) ) so they apparently shuffled them over to the after-market division to be liquidated.   :)

And the rest is history,.................... as the LIST 1850 (just not with the Ford number on it) became one of, if not the, most popular carburetor version Holley ever produced.   8)

So for all those SBC guys that over the decades bought an 1850, I'll bet they don't know that it actually is a "cast-off" from FORD!   ::)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

WT6066-2600

pbf777: thanks for the background and history lesson.  Can't believe that eBay has something incorrect LOL.

Carb and spacer are spoken for, Joe