News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

It's here - 58 years later

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, June 06, 2023, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Some of you may remember that Pete Brock originally wanted the hood scoop on the 65 GT350 to face backwards taking advantage of the high pressure air at the base of the windshield. He also envisioned some exhaust vents. His idea was nixed but now with the production of the continuation R Models Pete has been able to produce the front apron, rear window and now the hood that he originally designed. As usual he was ahead of the times Cowl Induction didn't become a thing until 3-4 years later.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Very kool, thanks for sharing this info
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

That's a bitchin' hood.  And yes, another example of Brock being far ahead of his time.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Don Johnston

Is there a photo of it on any of the Original Venice Crew cars? 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Don Johnston on June 06, 2023, 07:29:22 PM
Is there a photo of it on any of the Original Venice Crew cars? 8)
That's the prototype. It's going on in the next week or so for testing.

deathsled

Even though more functional it might look a lite strange on the cars they are putting out there.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Vernon Estes

Interesting hood.... but wasn't the original "backwards" scoop originally run on 5R002 while the car was being tested at Willow Springs? If exhaust relief vents were envisioned, you would think they would have been run on 002 on that day. in some sort of form if nothing other than holes cut in the hood....
https://www.motortrend.com/news/unseen-outtakes-of-shelby-ford-mustang-g-t-350-prototype-at-willow-springs-in-1965/

FWIW, neither of the styling prototype fastbacks which were mocked up by SAI (street and comp versions) had a backwards scoop on the hoods....or any scoop for that matter. On the original SCCA homologations papers for the 65 GT350 (which show these two cars and what Shelby actually envisioned early on for the GT350) neither car features a scoop of any kind but the last page does show a picture of a mocked up hood underside which appears to show a cowl induction/ram air sort of under hood setup which feeds directly into the carb/air cleaner.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 06, 2023, 12:52:37 PM
Some of you may remember that Pete Brock originally wanted the hood scoop on the 65 GT350 to face backwards taking advantage of the high pressure air at the base of the windshield. He also envisioned some exhaust vents. His idea was nixed but now with the production of the continuation R Models Pete has been able to produce the front apron, rear window and now the hood that he originally designed. As usual he was ahead of the times Cowl Induction didn't become a thing until 3-4 years later.
Wasn't NASCAR and other cars using air cleaners that took air directly from the cowl box back then also? Here is a link to Petty's 64 car pulling air from the cowl. Great idea. Was he really ahead of his time or seeing what others were doing in other forms of racing? https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/nascar-style-air-intake-boxs.177572/

I'll throw a 63 Ford stocker in here for good measure. This car is local to me and always has been. The sponsor (Kosins auto parts) I used to use to buy car parts in my youth. https://www.collectorsgarage.com/vehicles/2200013/1963-ford-galaxie-500-hammer-mason-nascar-87
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Vernon Estes on June 06, 2023, 10:57:54 PM
Interesting hood.... but wasn't the original "backwards" scoop originally run on 5R002 while the car was being tested at Willow Springs?
Tested but nixed to be backwards. The powers to be thought it didn't look right. What Pete wanted to do aerodynamically or for appearance didn't always make it onto parts or in some cases even paper at the time. Since OVC has started one of their goals is to fully develop the IRS R Model with all the ideas they had in 65 instead of the - that's not worth doing because the gain isn't big enough or too expensive.

I hadn't realized NASCAR was using those air intakes that early I thought they started 65-6 era and in the TransAm series in 68-9. GM Cowl Induction hood was on the 69 Camaro. Mopar did the look with their 70 Road Runner/GTX hood but the back was closed off and they pitched their Air Grabber scoop.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 07, 2023, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: Vernon Estes on June 06, 2023, 10:57:54 PM
Interesting hood.... but wasn't the original "backwards" scoop originally run on 5R002 while the car was being tested at Willow Springs?
Tested but nixed to be backwards. The powers to be thought it didn't look right. What Pete wanted to do aerodynamically or for appearance didn't always make it onto parts or in some cases even paper at the time. Since OVC has started one of their goals is to fully develop the IRS R Model with all the ideas they had in 65 instead of the - that's not worth doing because the gain isn't big enough or too expensive.

I hadn't realized NASCAR was using those air intakes that early I thought they started 65-6 era and in the TransAm series in 68-9. GM Cowl Induction hood was on the 69 Camaro. Mopar did the look with their 70 Road Runner/GTX hood but the back was closed off and they pitched their Air Grabber scoop.
That 63 Galaxie was a local car to me when I was growing up so to speak(I didn't see it back then. I did see it at the 100 years Ford racing show). Car was touted as original not restored as raced. So 1963? I haven't done a deep dive into it. But with the 63 Galaxie and some factory Z11 Impalas in 63 that is as far as my dive has gone using that air flow-albeit into the cowl- to a plenum pushing fresh air into the air cleaner. I believe early 66-7 Chevlees and 67-up Z/28s it was over the counter available as I've seen 67 Zs with the cowl plenum setups on them-of course after 65. 63 factory  Z11 below. You are correct as 69 was the first RPO optional cowl hood as we know it on a Camaro. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)