Author Topic: “Z” stamps on ‘67 VIN plates  (Read 29597 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
“Z” stamps on ‘67 VIN plates
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
I’ve been collecting photos of VIN plates for several years now hoping to clear up some confusion in the Registry vs. Simkins data.
With each added photo I’m noting the build dates for cars with & without the “Z stamping.

It appears the “Z” started getting stamped on VIN tags on 4/27/67. I have not found any "Z" stamps on anything early than this date. This includes 3 cars built on 4/26 and 3 cars built on 4/25. (Repro tags are not included in my date notations).

The “Z” stamp appears on and after 4/27 (in my photo file) on every car with only 2 exceptions.
-The first exception is #0025 (San Jose build 10/11/66 - SA completion 6/25/67). This car has always been troublesome because of the 8 months in between delivery & completion. 
-The other exception #2955 (San Jose build 6/6/67 - SA completion 7/8/67). This car was a replacement for one of the railroad derailment wrecked cars.
What is the relevance to the “Z” stamp???

Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share.
As always, please let me know if you have any information that would contradict what I have noted above.

Thanks 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: “Z” stamps on ‘67 VIN plates
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
Just for clarification - Your using the "date" your using to compare these findings to the SA completion date not the Ford date.

If so it would seem that both the exceptions would fall into your pattern - post 4/27/67 dates  (6/25/67 & 7/8/67 as you listed)

Believe this subject was discussed in SAAC forum 1.0  and I recall the possible application was to signify a car was completed,  ready to ship so to speak, but may have not been done (opps missed some) to 100%

Will try and find some time to see if I have any prior to the SA completion date you posted

Game just starting:)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67350#1242

• View Profile
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
Just for clarification - Your using the "date" your using to compare these findings to the SA completion date not the Ford date.

If so it would seem that both the exceptions would fall into your pattern - post 4/27/67 dates  (6/25/67 & 7/8/67 as you listed)

Believe this subject was discussed in SAAC forum 1.0  and I recall the possible application was to signify a car was completed,  ready to ship so to speak, but may have not been done (opps missed some) to 100%

Will try and find some time to see if I have any prior to the SA completion date you posted

Game just starting:)

Yes Jeff, the SA (Shelby American) completion dates are were for comparisons.
The 4/27/67 SA date being the first "Z" stampings found.

I didn't go into the reasons why it was done, but yes, I also recall the forum 1.0 conversations noting it was thought to be when a car was completed it was stamped with the "Z" to signify "hands off" to all personnel.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
Dave Mathews theory that he put forth some years ago is what I am inclined to believe until better information presents itself. The "Z" was stamped to indicate this car is meant to be shipped out for a dealer or holding lot order so don't rob any parts off of it to complete another car needed to be completed for a dealer or holding lot order. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
Brian Styles theory:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shelbyresearch/vvHdD9CG4d0

Brian has lots of interesting data and theories.

He notes #1833 as the earliest car with a "Z" stamping on the vin plate as 4/26/67, but I believe that car has a repro tag (per photos of it on display in the popular vote at SAAC 42 in Indy).
Also, he's got a photo of the VIN tag for #2955 (one of my noted exceptions; by SA dates) a replacement car for the derailment wrecked car #2801 on it's way to Burns Ford in KY.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:52:28 PM by Richstang »

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »
Dave Mathews theory that he put forth some years ago is what I am inclined to believe until better information presents itself. The "Z" was stamped to indicate this car is meant to be shipped out for a dealer or holding lot order so don't rob any parts off of it to complete another car needed to be completed for a dealer or holding lot order. 

That was what I had heard as well and there hasn't (yet) been anything to prove otherwise.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
Interesting subject.

Do the Z's typically show up on Marti reports and invoices and Initial titles?

I am curious if Ford considered it part of the VIN?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »
Interesting subject.

Do the Z's typically show up on Marti reports and invoices and Initial titles?

I am curious if Ford considered it part of the VIN?

No and No.

I've never seen anything on any documents related to the "Z" stamping.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 08:55:49 AM »

What I have heard as well....+1

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
1690 has a Build Date of 3/22 and a Shelby completion date of 5/2....it has a "Z" stamping.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »

That was what I had heard as well and there hasn't (yet) been anything to prove otherwise.

I don't doubt Dave's theory. I think it was based on a conversation with an former SA employee is I recall correctly...
But, I do think Brian's theory could also be true at the same time. Perhaps the mandate to Stamp the "Z" came from Ford as well.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 12:19:08 AM »

I don't doubt Dave's theory. I think it was based on a conversation with an former SA employee is I recall correctly...
But, I do think Brian's theory could also be true at the same time. Perhaps the mandate to Stamp the "Z" came from Ford as well.
Everyone has a right to their own opinion mine will not change until I see valid info that suggests otherwise . At this point in time I am skeptical of Brians theory opposed to the one Dave puts forth but that is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
  Lets say you are working at S/A.  And, told to ready a car that was missing some key parts.  I find it hard to believe they would 1) open the hood to look at the vin plate for an added letter, and 2) somehow add to the new car confusion by adding another digit to the vin plate.   I think there is something more to it.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Depends on interpretation? It's a final "inspection" stamp. The car was complete and ready to be delivered. You could say then that you are not going to scavenge parts off of it for another?

They probably got  moved from one side of the lot to the other, completed side.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!