News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

“Z” stamps on ‘67 VIN plates

Started by Richstang, July 07, 2018, 01:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Quote from: Road Reptile on July 17, 2018, 08:12:30 PM
Hi All "Z" People,
Just a few notes about this--Dave says we may not ever know a total of cars with a "Z" because it would require seeing every car. His comment was a response to my theory of the "Z" being used
as a code for inspected and ready to ship out of state....meaning California. According to the records as of 1996  only 390 cars were reported to have the "Z" and of those only 66 were sold in Cal.
and all but 70 cars had thermactors. I also think it could mean ready to ship by rail,and it would be interesting to see how many "Z" cars were shipped by rail--which again seems to be another
possibility.I really think it is safe to say the inspected and approved theory is good--yet won't be surprised to learn it has other purposes as well.
Regards from R.R.

R.R.
THANK YOU for jumping in on this conversation. You've given me a few other directions to look at. I'll convert my word VIN list to my excel spreadsheet and see what that nets out in "Z" stamp total numbers, shipping locations, and if by rail or not. I'll reply back here once done.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

greekz

Just checked my spreadsheet on the derailment cars and not all of them have a Z in the VIN. In fact,only two have a Z in the VIN, mine(2339) and 2621, unless I misread the Registry.   I based my spreadsheet on information in the 2011 Registry.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

roddster

"Hazard a guess"?  Really, I have no idea.

A couple of side items not yet digested in this:
   1) I have seen some (a very few some) hand written vins on the vin plate.  All numbers and letters written by one of those vibrating engravers you might use on tools in your garage.  What?
   2) Some machine seems to have stamped the vin plates, at an earlier time in production, yet, who selected a "Z" stamp twice the size?. And went around not even stamping it straight?

Short, non-related story...Maybe.  I worked for Chrysler at their former Chicago dealer prep center from 1970 to 1975.  When the display cars came in for the big annual Chicago auto show came in, they had only certain employees "prep" them for the show.  Now I imagine some judges trying to figure out what the "RT" in yellow crayon meant here and there (especially on the heater boxes under the dash).  Well, those are my initials.  Could somebody at S/A be putting one over on us all?

Alan

Assumption on my part....if the 'Z' signified a completed car, It might have
been stamped after the vin plate was already riveted to the body. Anyone check under neath
to see a possible imprint or disturbance in the sheet metal?
Max
'67    0029

Richstang

Quote from: roddster on July 17, 2018, 09:27:31 PM
"Hazard a guess"?  Really, I have no idea.

A couple of side items not yet digested in this:
   1) I have seen some (a very few some) hand written vins on the vin plate.  All numbers and letters written by one of those vibrating engravers you might use on tools in your garage.  What?
   2) Some machine seems to have stamped the vin plates, at an earlier time in production, yet, who selected a "Z" stamp twice the size?. And went around not even stamping it straight?

Short, non-related story...Maybe.  I worked for Chrysler at their former Chicago dealer prep center from 1970 to 1975.  When the display cars came in for the big annual Chicago auto show came in, they had only certain employees "prep" them for the show.  Now I imagine some judges trying to figure out what the "RT" in yellow crayon meant here and there (especially on the heater boxes under the dash).  Well, those are my initials.  Could somebody at S/A be putting one over on us all?

The very early VIN's that were hand engraved are discussed in another thread.
http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2217.0

Keeping this thread focused on the "Z" stamp; I believe they were purposely oversized so not to be confused by any state DMV / MVC as part of the cars actual VIN number. In many case the "Z" stamp horizontal lines are above and below the black printed box holding the VIN number for what I believe is that reason.

6972boss

Interesting topic. I always thought the Z designated outboard headlights. Here's my plate.
(The site won't let me upload,  I'll try later)

Richstang

Quote from: greekz on July 17, 2018, 09:08:35 PM
Just checked my spreadsheet on the derailment cars and not all of them have a Z in the VIN. In fact,only two have a Z in the VIN, mine(2339) and 2621, unless I misread the Registry.   I based my spreadsheet on information in the 2011 Registry.

Greek

Of the 7 replacement cars for the damaged derailment cars, the registry notes only 2 of them having the "Z" stamp (2340 and 2764)
I only have a VIN photo of #2955 with no Z.

Based on your findings and mine, my guess is this was not related to the "Z" stamp issue.

Richstang

Quote from: 6972boss on July 17, 2018, 09:52:57 PM
Interesting topic. I always thought the Z designated outboard headlights. Here's my plate.

That was the original theory, disproven a long time ago.
PM me your email and I'd be glad to post your photo. (maybe another car to add to list)
Wait that's backwards...I'll PM you my email

Richstang

Quote from: Alan on July 17, 2018, 09:42:42 PM
been stamped after the vin plate was already riveted to the body. Anyone check underneath
Max

I've always assumed the "Z"was stamped later after the plate was already attached.
Would be interesting to hear from anyone if the "Z" is visible underneath. Nobody should post that photo as it would show the FORD vin!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on July 17, 2018, 10:12:16 PM
Quote from: Alan on July 17, 2018, 09:42:42 PM
been stamped after the vin plate was already riveted to the body. Anyone check underneath
Max

I've always assumed the "Z"was stamped later after the plate was already attached.
Would be interesting to hear from anyone if the "Z" is visible underneath. Nobody should post that photo as it would show the FORD vin!
It was stamped later after the tag was installed from evidence. The metal stamp in the aluminum tag did not take much force to stamp and inprint. Consequently it does not leave any kind of evidence on the underlying metal that I have ever seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Alan

Bob,   Could you clarify about the evidence if you haven't seen any marks, etc
under a vin tag.  I agree that the 'Z' probably was added after install.
Max
'67    0029

6s1802

Back in the early eighties I owned 2925, a Calif smog G.T.350 with wide grill lights and a Z in the vin tag

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Alan on July 18, 2018, 12:21:37 AM
Bob,   Could you clarify about the evidence if you haven't seen any marks, etc
under a vin tag.  I agree that the 'Z' probably was added after install.
Max
Evidence in this case is the lack of witness mark etc. given the many I have examined since the mid 80's when I first realized the peculiar Z was on some but not others. From the early 70's until then I only cared about making it go faster. :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

I've got my own theory on the "Z" stamp, but without ruffling feathers as to my theory as an amateur, I'll just add that "1941", a one owner Nightmist Blue 67 GT500 has the stamped "Z" and leave it at that.  8)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Richstang

Quote from: 6972boss on July 17, 2018, 09:52:57 PM

Photo posted for "6872boss" (thanks for sharing)

Here's the original VIN plate for #3119 with the "Z" stamp