Author Topic: Paint formula for Nightmist blue  (Read 3051 times)

motorhead428

• View Profile
Paint formula for Nightmist blue
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
Does anyone have the paint formula for Nightmist blue that they have compared to original paint. I recently had my local PPG paint supplier mix up some paint for use on the interior of my car. It looks beautiful but to me it looks more like a candy apple blue depending on the lighting. The exterior of my car had an awful paint job done on it and was peeling in some area's down to I believe the original paint that looked darker. I belive that original color Nightmist Blue on #185 should be more of a dark navy blue. That is why i would like to check his formula. Thank You

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paint formula for Nightmist blue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
Does anyone have the paint formula for Nightmist blue that they have compared to original paint. I recently had my local PPG paint supplier mix up some paint for use on the interior of my car. It looks beautiful but to me it looks more like a candy apple blue depending on the lighting. The exterior of my car had an awful paint job done on it and was peeling in some area's down to I believe the original paint that looked darker. I belive that original color Nightmist Blue on #185 should be more of a dark navy blue. That is why i would like to check his formula. Thank You

Which level of PPG did you have it mixed? I ask, as with every other brand, there are low grade, mid grade, and high grade bases and toners, each will reflect a different shade once sprayed out. Same goes for color of primer/base/sealant used, and whether it is a single stage polyurethane, or base/clear formula.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
For those of us uneducated in this field, what are the top of the line basecoat, topcoat product from PPG?

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
For those of us uneducated in this field, what are the top of the line basecoat, topcoat product from PPG?

Which you choose has to do with what you are painting (automotive wise)

Different automotive lines of PPG, each with their own associated formulas and final spray out end result(s):

Deltron
Global Refinish system
Envirobase High performance
Aquabase Plus
Omni (low end)
One Choice
Shopline
Value pro
Ditzler

Confused yet by my original question to the OP, not any more, I hope.  ;)

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »

Wait till we start discussing clears for for each level of BC/CC paint jobs  ;D

motorhead428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
I used the Omni single stage for the interior.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:34:07 PM by motorhead428 »

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 07:38:13 PM »
I used the Omni single stage for the interior.

That is their low end paint product, did you order it online, or have it custom mixed at a local shop? Also, did they mix it as a single stage, or BC/CC. Also, how convinced are you that they followed the mix to the letter? I ask as 1/10th of a gram worth of just one of the toners can through the end result of your spray out off quite a bit.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
 We are doing a 67 GT 350 nightmist  blue in our shop right now ...I took an original trunk lid with night mistblue paint and shot it with a camera sprayed cards and matched it perfectly     The reason I did this I mixed up the code and if you just put it into the computer and mix  iit looks nothing like original paint nightmist blue    I’m doing this post from my phone right now so I don’t think I can post a picture but    If any of you do Instagram go to Chrisbrownclassics.   and you will  see our build and how great the color looks and the car

Chris

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
This one?

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
This one?

If so Chris don't forget the two painted rear valance screws :)   if your going fully restored

Just trying to be helpful   ::)

Nightmist a a cool color. Did a loaded 67 390 GTA years ago. Under some lighting at night it would flop to different colors. Had to touch up a quarter panel (hubcap fell on it) never got the amount of metallic just right - bugged me. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:42:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

motorhead428

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
 I had the paint mixed at a local ppg supplier. Chris would you be willing to share the formula ?

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
Yes , I will  share .   email me.     Jeff  thanks for reminding me.   We are doing a really neat build on this car. All total control suspension, roush 347 engine, tremec 600 trans  . rack and pinion steering.  updated a/c , etc..   This guy is going to drive this car!!!  I love it..

chris