News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 shelby seat belts opinions please

Started by shelbyhertz66, June 26, 2023, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbyhertz66

Morning all,
So my 66 GT350 is pretty well restored but the leather fobs on the belts
are looking a little tattered  , I have been a little reluctant to touch them as they are
the originals but have thought about restoring the leather what would you do?
Thanks

deathsled

What about the webbing?  There is a shelf life on the efficacy of the fabric from tearing in an accident.  I had my belts restored by Shelby Parts and Restoration and they did a great job.  They replaced the worn out leather.  You might be able to recondition the leather with a reconditioner.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

jk66gt350

I just bought the new leather pads from Shelby Parts & Restoration a few years ago.  They also sent me the correct rivets.  Easy to change yourself if the old ones are too deteriorated for what you want for the car.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbyhertz66 on June 26, 2023, 08:40:07 AM
Morning all,
So my 66 GT350 is pretty well restored but the leather fobs on the belts
are looking a little tattered  , I have been a little reluctant to touch them as they are
the originals but have thought about restoring the leather what would you do?
Thanks
First try a leather conditioner like Lexol or similar product . I like the look of distressed leather  but if they are torn then it is time to replace . If the conditioner use doesn't satisfy your expectations then you can buy the leather at better craft stores and the rivets are available online . It sounds like Shelby parts has a kit of parts .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbyhertz66

thanks much for your thoughts.
Because the edge of the leather was a little ragged.
I already had found the leather, rivets, rivet tool, black dye and will simulate the metal thickness of the buckle,
then try a trial run to see how they would turn out.  I want them to look nice and still original but not new.
since the rest of the car is restored maybe changing the leather out would be best. Not going to disturb the
belts untill my trial run is acceptable.