News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The future of the SAAC

Started by kjspeed, July 08, 2018, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ldouble619

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Alan on August 12, 2018, 11:51:33 AM
What's the opinion of you all in comparing Tulsa with the SAAC convention?
Max
BIG regional show - run/owned by a few. Annual event same place same time easy to do year after year. Also at one point Ford was dumping 60 grand a year into the show - with no accounting. Most of that money found it's way into the pockets of a couple people. Don't think that didn't cause problems when the rank and file volunteers found out.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on August 12, 2018, 01:30:51 PM
Quote from: Alan on August 12, 2018, 11:51:33 AM
What's the opinion of you all in comparing Tulsa with the SAAC convention?
Max
BIG regional show - run/owned by a few. Annual event same place same time easy to do year after year. Also at one point Ford was dumping 60 grand a year into the show - with no accounting. Most of that money found it's way into the pockets of a couple people. Don't think that didn't cause problems when the rank and file volunteers found out.

Wow.  That's really a shame - I had no idea!

I've never been, but Mid-America is CERTAINLY still on my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

Quote from: Greg on August 12, 2018, 12:54:55 PM

I do believe more people would benefit if the SAAC was a true non profit club with an elected board because I think people get tired and new blood does bring fresh ideas. 

.... where is the company going?

Yes
Who knows them best and can act upon this?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

427heaven

When people don't show up in mass on the left coast for the big Daddy of events, it appears that we are gaining speed down this slippery slope. What most feel here is its like family but if we are on this journey and Grand pappy is driving and he is not answering questions, we don't know how he's feeling, where we are going etc, NO? Like what was mentioned earlier that people are not taking that vacation like years before at these events.With no enthusiasm,no professional business back ground no updates the peanut gallery looks for other venues. :-[ Time will tell-

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on August 12, 2018, 09:33:31 PM
When people don't show up in mass on the left coast for the big Daddy of events, it appears that we are gaining speed down this slippery slope. What most feel here is its like family but if we are on this journey and Grand pappy is driving and he is not answering questions, we don't know how he's feeling, where we are going etc, NO? Like what was mentioned earlier that people are not taking that vacation like years before at these events.With no enthusiasm,no professional business back ground no updates the peanut gallery looks for other venues. :-[ Time will tell-

Consider it a phasing out.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

Every drop in the strength/popularity of SAAC can be tied to a lawsuit. This convention was hurt by one as I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the history of SAAC, the leadership, its goals and the forum.

Much of whats been stated doesnt match what I have experienced.

Quote from: gt350hr on August 13, 2018, 11:29:24 AM
  Every drop in the strength/popularity of SAAC can be tied to a lawsuit. This convention was hurt by one as I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Interesting. I would be interested in hearing more.

Lawsuits stifle a lot of innovation and drive the cost of living up unnaturally.

gt350hr

Several well know "regular attendees" were conspicuously absent.  Though I went , "rules" changes kept me from taking my car . I was in charge of the drag event and didn't want to let people down. Session time was shortened without my prior knowledge . Soldiered on and participants still had lots of fun!
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on August 13, 2018, 12:11:45 PM
There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the history of SAAC, the leadership, its goals and the forum.

Much of whats been stated doesnt match what I have experienced.

Unfortunately Pete we live in a world of "fake news".

Grampa use to say "don't believe anything you read and only half of what you hear"
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

TransamEd

Went back to a 1986 SAAC/Hot Rod publication and reviewing that I have the deepest respect for the leading group maintaining their enthusiasm over 32 (respectively 43 years since 1975), especially the better known registry owners. I had the pleasure to be in touch with some of them over decades and I hope they only pass the torch whenever it is necessary to the same sort of people.

Actually I don't think members should discuss the future of the SAAC. I have trust in this group of dedicated people who have spent the better half of their lifetime sharing knowledge and enthusiasm. As somebody else said somewhere - we members can follow or not and decide on the membership each year.  I was a club editor for 25 years and am still moderating our club forum, which I founded, so I know what the investment timewise is. Lost our forum at one time as well, just the IT guy could save it in an enormous effort with many nightshifts.

Membership and user figures are the best indicator to them what works and what not and if they have to improve.

Like at a rally I think it makes little sense to discuss the route amongst participants.

Just my 5 cents from across the pond.

Bigfoot

The amount of people and actual individuals who did not show up speaks volumes.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

z-man

Quote from: Bigfoot on August 13, 2018, 04:44:33 PM
The amount of people and actual individuals who did not show up speaks volumes.

So what was the reason these folks did not show up?  Are they just loosing interest with a national convention, not happy with the current 'administration', or is there some other reason that would stop them from attending?

Steve Z

Lets get to the point. I am assuming most of the members are in their 50' to 60's which is where I am at. I have 2 sons that are still into fast cars , but they are restomod's . We being the club members are fighting an uphill battle as our fathers did with the cars that they grew up with. This is all a FAD , that will soon die out. I am not saying that this is what I am looking forward too, but there is a new wave of Millennial that are coming up that don't care about these cars?  I will still be a strong supporter of the SAAC Forum, as I love the cars of that ERA. But just my honest opinion. Thanks for reading this Steve