Author Topic: The future of the SAAC  (Read 74651 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the SAAC
« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
I think SAAC membership deters the trolls some what.

+1 Don't mind if they monitor the discussions but posting should be reserved for SAAC members IMHO.

Why can non-members post here at all? Why should they have any say at all here?
Why can non-members post here at all? Why should they have any say at all here?

Probably because its a public forum  .  I do think that you should have to be a SAAC member to post parts for sale or wanted  ads

+1000
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
At the same time, is the purpose here to only serve and help members or is the site here to help those that are looking to buy vehicles, parts, fix or restore their cars?

The former can be seen and can support the feeling/opinion of some in the hobby out there, that members are nose up in the air, elitist.  The latter suggests that SAAC or more correctly this site is not as focused only getting some more membership $$$'s and more interested in helping owners and the hobby without strings, confirming your membership number first.

Not taking one side in the discussion or the other, just stating how a non-member might view the situation.  In most cases openness fosters membership though limits or extras for membership if limited (like access viewing or posting) to things like the wanted/for sale sections makes sense and can be seen as a carrot. 

Just a thought – sure there is somewhere in the middle that would serve multiple purposes and points.

Allot of this is just marking a box or two while some of it would require revoking site membership.  And that's not going to sound or play very well - especially with the drop in participation here since the restart

I guess what ever path would be chosen the Facebook page would be altered to keep access consistent
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:27:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
It's always been the intention to have the social portion of the club to be fully open to members and non-members alike... so many enthusiasts can visit, learn and benefit from an open forum.

The behavior of our circle is (and has been) exceptional...and non-member participation rarely gets out of line.

There is a current thought process to add extra features and benefits to SAAC members on the Forum.. and I am open to suggestions.

..extras that would not diminish the non-member experience, but would enhance it for the members.

Ron
SAAC HQ

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »
It's always been the intention to have the social portion of the club to be fully open to members and non-members alike... so many enthusiasts can visit, learn and benefit from an open forum.

Ron
SAAC HQ

Who's intention? Yours? I thought you said that you were listening?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »

That was pretty clear.. your point?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:06 PM »
There is a current thought process to add extra features and benefits to SAAC members on the Forum.. and I am open to suggestions.

..extras that would not diminish the non-member experience, but would enhance it for the members.

Ron
SAAC HQ

+++1   8)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »

The behavior of our circle is (and has been) exceptional...and non-member participation rarely gets out of line.

Ron
SAAC HQ
   Jeff- you have always been a neutral voice of reason here and is appreciated more then you know. Referencing our childhood organizations... The kid with more merit badges within the group doesn't make him or her more passionate about the group that they are a part of. So it is with adult organizations or clubs, don't send the kid or (adult away) because they don't have the same status
as others, because he might one day be in charge of the whole thing. Remember ALL are welcome Mantra... It is in the business statement but they don't really believe it if you have DIFFERENCES with in the group. This is what we are teetering on and might trip things up if not taken care of properly.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2018, 06:29:47 AM »

That was pretty clear.. your point?

It's not clear at all. It sounds like your listening is to go on doing what you want to and just pat the members on the head and tell us, "that's nice Dougie, just go sit down over there and be quiet"?

That's what I got out of that.

If it was me, I'd take a poll, right here, right now, on what the members want to do with letting non members post? To me, that's very clear.

It sounds clear like it is you who just decided all by your self to just give away the store?

Apparently you haven't been listening here?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2018, 07:33:37 AM »

If it was me, I'd take a poll...

Why, thanks. That's a good suggestion.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2018, 07:37:47 AM »

If it was me, I'd take a poll...

Why, thanks. That's a good suggestion.

Sure. Anytime.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
Well, here's a suggestion for the Forum:  While membership in SAAC isn't a requirement, give those who visit the Forum and receive benefit from it an opportunity to become members of the Forum w/o a requirement to join SAAC.  This is done on a couple of forums that I visit and with good results.  For instance, RENNLIST is a giant forum for Porsche enthusiasts. Membership in the Porsche Club of America is not a requirement but, if you're so inclined, you can join RENNLIST as a member just to help support the site. Discount for multiple year membership is also an option. 
5S071, 6S1467

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
Track rat- You are correct about most clubs. It is a place where people share their common passion and ideas of the things they love dearly. Porsche,Vette,Model A,Mopars,etc. No mention of money exchanging hands on any of these forums UNLESS a donation is given willingly to promote their cause. This is a microcosm of the car world, just a spec of sand when comparing it to other genres of car organizations. As people seem to be going away daily, we as a group need to be cognizant of why this is and fix it. If it keeps up there will be no one to argue about having a so called membership to sell a hipo exhaust manifold,they will find other venues to sell items. It is not the money that seems to be the issue here it is the message behind it that turns people off. We as old timers are the bulk of this group remember when we would meet at the races,car shows, drive up the coast with friends and all this was not money driven. I think that many wish they could rekindle those times.To segregate factions of this hobby will certainly be the end of the group. Lots to think about.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
FWIW I have been a SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s. Off more than on I'm sure.

In fact, my membership just ran out. I never received one of those SAAC Member "badges" on the old forum (which was fine).

I don't own a Shelby and don't plan to. My family has always been a Ford/Mercury family and I am fascinated by the design, engineering and racing history of Shelby American/Shelby Automotive and it's interconnections with the Mercury Cougars.

I came here to learn and share.

I've met some outstanding people on the forum and through that contact have been able to contribute my services, advice and/or images from my personal collection to several different efforts at restoring, promoting and educating people about the cars we all love.

I have gotten invaluable advice and learned more since joining these SAAC forum(s) than all my years in the club before that.

I don't plan on maintaining a full-time membership, so if that becomes required to contribute here then, well I guess I couldn't be member.

Not saying that is any great loss, just wanted to make the point of what would be gained (?) or lost by the changes being discussed. There is lots of stuff going on behind the scenes that isn't apparent to those that maybe aren't as into making connections and sharing.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:55:43 AM by propayne »
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Mikelj5S230

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
FWIW I have been a SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s. Off more than on I'm sure.

In fact, my membership just ran out. I never received one of those SAAC Member "badges" on the old forum (which was fine).

I don't own a Shelby and don't plan to. My family has always been a Ford/Mercury family and I am fascinated by the design, engineering and racing history of Shelby American/Shelby Automotive and it's interconnections with the Mercury Cougars.

I came here to learn and share.

I've met some outstanding people on the forum and through that contact have been able to contribute my services, advice and/or images from my personal collection to several different efforts at restoring, promoting and educating people about the cars we all love.

I have gotten invaluable advice and learned more since joining these SAAC forum(s) than all my years in the club before that.

I don't plan on maintaining a full-time membership, so if that becomes required to contribute here then, well I guess I couldn't be member.

Not saying that is any great loss, just wanted to make the point of what would be gained (?) or lost by the changes being discussed. There is lots of stuff going on behind the scenes that isn't apparent to those that maybe aren't as into making connections and sharing.

- Phillip

+1
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
Let me clarify my suggestion about contributing money for annual "membership" in support of the Forum.  This would not be a requirement for participation.  Yes, there could be some benefits not available to "users" but the give and take of information would be available to all.
5S071, 6S1467