Author Topic: The future of the SAAC  (Read 74661 times)

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the SAAC
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
FWIW I have been a SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s. Off more than on I'm sure.

In fact, my membership just ran out. I never received one of those SAAC Member "badges" on the old forum (which was fine).

I don't own a Shelby and don't plan to. My family has always been a Ford/Mercury family and I am fascinated by the design, engineering and racing history of Shelby American/Shelby Automotive and it's interconnections with the Mercury Cougars.

I came here to learn and share.

I've met some outstanding people on the forum and through that contact have been able to contribute my services, advice and/or images from my personal collection to several different efforts at restoring, promoting and educating people about the cars we all love.

I have gotten invaluable advice and learned more since joining these SAAC forum(s) than all my years in the club before that.

I don't plan on maintaining a full-time membership, so if that becomes required to contribute here then, well I guess I couldn't be member.

Not saying that is any great loss, just wanted to make the point of what would be gained (?) or lost by the changes being discussed. There is lots of stuff going on behind the scenes that isn't apparent to those that maybe aren't as into making connections and sharing.

- Phillip

+1 I'm in the same situation.

regards
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

JayTalbott

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
FWIW I have been a SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s. Off more than on I'm sure.

In fact, my membership just ran out. I never received one of those SAAC Member "badges" on the old forum (which was fine).

I don't own a Shelby and don't plan to. My family has always been a Ford/Mercury family and I am fascinated by the design, engineering and racing history of Shelby American/Shelby Automotive and it's interconnections with the Mercury Cougars.

I've met some outstanding people on the forum and through that contact have been able to contribute my services, advice and/or images from my personal collection to several different efforts at restoring, promoting and educating people about the cars we all love.

I have gotten invaluable advice and learned more since joining these SAAC forum(s) than all my years in the club before that.

I don't plan on maintaining a full-time membership, so if that becomes required to contribute here then, well I guess I couldn't be member.

Not saying that is any great loss, just wanted to make the point of what would be gained (?) or lost by the changes being discussed. There is lots of stuff going on behind the scenes that isn't apparent to those that maybe aren't as into making connections and sharing.

- Phillip

Phillip,
I don't know if you are aware of it, but SAAC offers an Affiliate membership. The Affiliate membership differs from Classical membership in that Affiliate members do not receive anything in the mail. Classic members get a membership card, decal and the 360 page Shelby American Annual magazine every year. Affiliate members get access to the magazine online, and enjoy all of the other benefits of being members, including being able to take advantage of Ford's X Plan. Affiliate membership is $25 per year, regardless of where you live. Classic membership is $50 per year for US residents, and $75 in Canada and elsewhere.

We would love to see you rejoin us, either at the Classic or Affiliate level. If you have any questions, please email me membership@saac.com.

Regards,
Jay
Jay Talbott
SAAC Board of Directors
SAAC Membership Director

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 21, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
That is a heck of a DEAL! For the price of a dinner you can get access to all the information less the hard copies. Perhaps this will gain more interest.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 21, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
That is a heck of a DEAL! For the price of a dinner you can get access to all the information less the hard copies. Perhaps this will gain more interest.

Yeah, Check out what it costs to be a member on say, the Ford GT forum (Great forum BTW).

The rates here are insanely low in today's day and age.

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 21, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

Where do you eat for only $25, McDonald's? Not that there's anything wrong with McDonald's. :D
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 21, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »

+1 With no financial support SAAC will eventually go away. Then there won't be a forum to not post on. Not an "official" one anyway. If anyone's not sure if it's worth it, then take a minute to read this. The SAAC discount on my Heacock policy more than covers my full annual membership, so for me it's a no-brainer. On the flip side, the members need to hold the organization accountable and ensure there is value in being a member.

1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 21, 2018, 02:13:42 PM »
Great way to put it Jay, many may not know but we can register and go to these conventions and roam around and do whatever we please, no worries. But Jay and the bunch have things to do that take most ALL of their time and don't have that privilege. He was stuck at registration the entire time with some help but mainly with his wife. So he misses everything that goes on. Likewise for all the rest of the BOD.
So my hats off to all u guys and gals that do a great job making these happen all these years.
Craig

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »
Applebee's 2 for $20 all day long.......

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »

- Phillip

Phillip,
I don't know if you are aware of it, but SAAC offers an Affiliate membership. The Affiliate membership differs from Classical membership in that Affiliate members do not receive anything in the mail. Classic members get a membership card, decal and the 360 page Shelby American Annual magazine every year. Affiliate members get access to the magazine online, and enjoy all of the other benefits of being members, including being able to take advantage of Ford's X Plan. Affiliate membership is $25 per year, regardless of where you live. Classic membership is $50 per year for US residents, and $75 in Canada and elsewhere.

We would love to see you rejoin us, either at the Classic or Affiliate level. If you have any questions, please email me membership@saac.com.

Regards,
Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay - actually I was not aware of the different levels of membership. I think that is a great idea.

I will definitely join up again - I just meant that I haven't maintained a consistent membership and I'm sure it will lapse from time to time.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #309 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:13 PM »
Are we now considering a "vote" on not just being members to participate here on the forum in addition to the club membership but a toll also for the site??

After being involved in online forums for 3 decades there is so much that could be posted related to failures and successes over the years but that is too much (at the moment to type) to post here. Please consider that people in general today expect the internet and information to be free and open to everyone - like it or not.

We have recently been reminded in a number of discussions here on this site that forums like this one, for many are the "old way" - If so this may limit or cap the number of possible participants in the near future and possibly continue to whittle away at our numbers here over time. Currently it appears that there is a three – to maybe five to one ratio currently for those just watching to those that are members and that is before you introduce a charge for access if that were to take place. Would be interesting – other here should have access to the  data– to see how many members actually post on a regular basis. Currently it appears that there may be a little more than twenty or maybe a little more?

Many have voiced their concerns about the limited number of people and participants that have returned after the crash.  If your business had a fire and it burnt your building to the ground, how many of us would rebuild the business, stage a new grand reopening and tack on a membership fee to gain access to the business?

A few have offered comparisons of other clubs and their sites. Would suggest that no two memberships, backgrounds and limitations are the same. MCA is another example of what members only forum can look like and they have allot more representation, participation and involvement from the 48 more model years than we do here. AIs out membership (forum or "club") more like MCA or like the BMW club?

In closing it would be interesting (have noticed it is missing from the list at the top of the page) there is no “Donate” option like many of the sites that use similar software. And in turn wonder how many, considering the comments made, would use it if available. Most of our brethren forums (CJ registry, Boss 302....) pay their overhead with those finds while having an open, no membership requirement. Of course charging would mean moneys would be flowing into the site and the tax ramification that would bring with it since the site is not part of the “business”.

Sorry for being verbose but figured some other things should be considered and/or at least mentioned as this conversation evolves.  Our choices , if we’re giving them, have ramifications and the internet heals and forgives slowly.

Best wishes to all as the path forward evolves.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:07:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #310 on: August 21, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
I am going to be direct. This is going to be short and sweet before I do my walk around the aircraft and prepare for departure.  I have been involved in two forums as of late having to do with Mustang/Shelby. The Concours forum and the SAAC. The Concours Mustang Forum generally has people willing to step up and give guidance on a regular basis. The SAAC can be like pulling teeth. Perhaps in large, because they pay others to do their work.
I don't unless it's beyond my skill set.
There's a reason this forum is on the verge of non-existence. I see quite a few exchanges here when it comes to disagreement on issues, many aren't friendly either.  I was finally getting ready to join the SAAC now that my vehicle is finished, and this hasn't been a great introduction to operations. I am not going to drive my Shelby 1000 miles for a meet. I am in the DFW area and have yet to see anything in the area that is club related. 
It's not the money, it's the fact there are few ventures where practical participation for us is available.
Just my two cents.   I guess something else to ponder on my way to Chicago this evening.

-Keith
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:03:10 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Great points, JP.  A donation to SAAC Forum site would be a nice option.  I have been a SAAC member since 1984, I believe, and reaped enormous value from the information gained and friendships made over the years. I have been nutty enough to attend a couple dozen conventions even though the closest ones are at least 2400 miles away,most are 3500 to 5000 miles away.  This year we had fifteen people from our local club attend with five cars.  A number were first timers and signed up with SAAC even though they did not own a Shelby vehicle.  Everyone had a great time and there were no complaints.  It is about the enthusiasm and knowledge.

One of the challenges here is a pet peeve of mine that I see in many clubs, local and national.  It is the person who refuses to be a part of any organized hobby group and pay dues.  They have their list of negative reasons.  But they are quick to go  a club for free information about their vehicle, whether it is a maintenance problem, history or to sell it. If it were not for the volunteers and dues paying membership, their access to information would be extremely limited. 8)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
Are the forum numbers down because non owners or some that signed up to post a question or for sale item no longer need/want the connection they made and may have not been using anyway? SAAC does have a "value added" website. The official club site has member only access and downloadable content that isn't available to non members. Yes you may never see a SAAC convention in Texas - too hot and too close distance and date wise to Mid America meet. Of course if Green Valley raceway still exists I'm voting to have SAAC 50 there.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »
^^^^^ Don- I wanted to ask looking at the mileage you travel to events 2400 3500 5000. It is 2776 miles from L.A. to NEW YORK do you take the long detour on your visits or are you talking about there and back mileage?

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »
Hawaii is about 2400 miles from the West Coast.  Double that to get back to events on the East Coast.  Some local club members ship and keep cars on the western region locales so they can get to various events.  You may have noticed a few rides with Hawaii license plates.  If they have to go east, they drive, not trailer.  Time, cost, hassles?  it is about the event and the people.  Like I said, we are (macadamia) nuts! 8)