News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The future of the SAAC

Started by kjspeed, July 08, 2018, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zray

Quote from: caspian65 on July 09, 2018, 04:06:25 PM

Personally, this is one of the biggest turn-off's of this forum.

that's all it takes to turn you off ? you need to get out more often.

I call it a relaxing diversion from todays modern world.

Z.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: zray on July 09, 2018, 06:21:45 PM
that's all it takes to turn you off ? you need to get out more often.

I call it a relaxing diversion from todays modern world.

Really?  More of the same...  'My way is better than yours.'
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bill

Quote from: Cobra Ned on July 09, 2018, 05:22:22 PM
And the person who suggested that Rick Kopec "is making a living selling Registries" needs his head examined.

His house is modest, as is his demeanor and family. Money wise, rumor has it he buried his ill gotten gains along the inside of "The Hook", just down the road from his home. Further rumors are that Howard kept mumbling in his sleep about "was it five or six paces, then turn right"...........

As for the rest, some clearly have a chip on their shoulder, many others do not, I'll leave it to all who read the posts in this thread to decide for themselves which is which and leave it at that.

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Greg

Quote from: Bill on July 09, 2018, 07:31:31 PM
Quote from: Cobra Ned on July 09, 2018, 05:22:22 PM
And the person who suggested that Rick Kopec "is making a living selling Registries" needs his head examined.

His house is modest, as is his demeanor and family. Money wise, rumor has it he buried his ill gotten gains along the inside of "The Hook", just down the road from his home. Further rumors are that Howard kept mumbling in his sleep about "was it five or six paces, then turn right"...........

As for the rest, some clearly have a chip on their shoulder, many others do not, I'll leave it to all who read the posts in this thread to decide for themselves which is which and leave it at that.

As this is a privately held business, it doesn't matter if the man lives better than Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.  The SAAC is not a democracy, I personnely do not know Mr. Kopec so I cannot comment about the man.  As someone said, this is America and no one should begrudge a person on grabbing an opportunity to make money at something they love. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Grumpy

Wow I din't know Eber was still involved with SAAC. Rick I have known for years back in the SOA "club". Rick was a great guy but maybe he is getting grumpy like me as he gets older. Eber is a slimebag. Nuff said about him.

I have been in a Corvette club back in the 70s.. Ego's and personality's killed it in 3 or 4 years.. They had 2 drag days every year. What a blast !! Show an shiners killed it.

Was in the Cobra club out of Mich. SOA then the SAAC till the early 80's. Just got tired of clubs.. SAAC had some awesome conventions !!! Now I just don't have drive I had back then.  Think that's whats happening with the older guys . Sold my 66 GT350 conv back in 2015 that we had since 1974. Then got one of the CSX4000 cars.. Lots of fun but the attention span isn't there anymore. Started lookin for something else this week. Strangely nothing has my interest. Wife thinks I am crazy. She may have a point. I also don't see "kids" in this market or any market now. They just play on phones and tablets.

After the Shelby stuff I stayed out of cars till the 86 Buick GN's came out. Got into them heavy.. Another fun car. Now they made roughly 25,000 cars. Now those cars "following" are dying off. 

Cobra Ned

Quote from: Grumpy on July 09, 2018, 10:02:14 PM
Wow I din't know Eber was still involved with SAAC. "

He's not, and hasn't been since at least 2008.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 557 on July 09, 2018, 08:32:26 AM
Just curious as to whether Porche(the car company)supports the Porsche club ,either through cash or in kind disbursement's ...
Yes - Ford has a Mustang Club laison who controls a fund to send cash and or door prize goodies (all the way up to crate engines and cars) where he chooses. On of SAACs early directors had Fords ear and later when he left the board he was able to get $60,000 a year from Ford funneled to a group in the midwest.

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 09, 2018, 09:47:47 AMI always knew there problems with counting in Florida. Its been a problem since the 2000 election.
Counting to 8 is the problem with the CT corporations web site nothing more.

Quote from: Blackcar on July 09, 2018, 12:38:38 PMIf SAAC is a business where do the profits go ? To the gang of 8 listed ?
Who cares? Who gets the profit when I put a new set of GoodYears on the car?

Quote from: Dsten on July 09, 2018, 05:32:32 PMSaac Facebook site states nonprofit organization,
Just like any 501c.  Monies back in after expenses,
Not quite right. Most 501c3 corps at the end of the year after the have met their stated expenses distribute the excess funds as a bonus to the board for their services in addition to their salaries. I'm NOT saying this is how SAAC is handled but many years ago that was the SCCA model and Catalina Island Company still uses it to distribute profits to the Wrigley family who owns 95% of the Island. BTW ever check the returns of the Shelby Kiddie Fund?

As far as Eber goes. He's been gone never to return. Several know the gory details.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

zray

Quote from: Grumpy on July 09, 2018, 10:02:14 PM
"......I also don't see "kids" in this market or any market now. They just play on phones and tablets........"

there is some truth to this. I did everything I could to get my kids, both daughters, to have a lasting interest in vintage cars, especially Fords and Ford based vintage iron.  Even taught them to drive in my GT350, took them to school in it many times, so they could one-up their peers, etc. 

As Grumpy says, having the latest iphone is more "fun" for many kids, including mine. And I'm using the term "kid" loosely. Mine are in their late 20's and early 30's.

Nevertheless, I think it helps keep some new generational interest alive by exposing the under 20 crowd to these cars whenever possible.. There's no substitute for actual eyeballs on the real deal. Movie and TV placement, and special events like car shows and parades are all good for exposure of course, but random sightings of vintage cars, even at a gas station, is a very special thing.

If you see a kid enjoying the sight of your car, pull over and let them get an even closer look. Who knows, you might talking to a future Shelby owner.

Z

and then you have the demographics thing working against "us" too, at least as far as monetary values go, i.e. , there just aren't enough people coming into the market to replace the aging and dying (gasp) baby boomers

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

The Conventions are great
The annual is great
But....
The only place a whole bunch of us ever got together was the Forum...
The old Forum....

We need that back....

Like An ice cream cone on a hot day when ur 8
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

Like a cold beer on a hot day right now.....

Which  feels like a million years after that Ice cream
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Alan

It's all about either side's perspective.   When Mom questioned
me, she always said "no matter how flat you make a pancake, there's always two sides."
Max
'67    0029

Doug C

Quote from: Alan on July 09, 2018, 11:28:20 PM
It's all about either side's perspective.   When Mom questioned
me, she always said "no matter how flat you make a pancake, there's always two sides."
Max

I like the "no matter how flat you make a pancake, there's always two sides." analogy.

My analogy is "His, Hers and the truth".

Regardless this has been interestering reading.

pchmotoho

Quote from: cboss70 on July 09, 2018, 08:20:59 AM
I have a friend who is a Shelby owner and fellow club member who recently purchased an 80's Porsche. I told him he should join the Porsche Club of America PCA as I am also a member of that club. Every time I talk to him he can't get over telling m about the monthly publications  he gets (one national and one regional), the scores of local, regional, etc events. There's something for everyone. There are local leaders who split up the work and break activities down into track days, rally, fun casual events, to monthly club meetings hosted at shops in the area that also provide educational opportunities.  Porsche sells more cars but also has way more members than car owners so that's not the only reason its so much bigger.  If someone is interested in seeing how professionally and different club operates they should check out the PCA, its site and then also its regional sites like the CT Valley Region PCA. I'm sure its a massive undertaking to build the industry relationships, get sponsorships etc to make it work. Regional clubs have guidelines and are held accountable (I don't like McDonalds but sure know I can count on the same look and feel regardless of where I am in the country). The PCA is done so well its hard not to get involved in activities.

It probably sounds harsh but as far as the SAAC club is concerned I don't feel I get much of any value being a member on a "regular basis" but then again I'm a passive member with other mid-life activities taking my time. I maintain my membership because I appreciate that a history of these cars is being maintained (like a donation) and not because I have expectations of getting anything back from being a member. From a club perspective the greatest value to me personally is the car verification and history retention. I get the most out of this forum because I'm looking for restoration information and love the details on these cars in general. Selfishly I would love to see the SAAC club evolve to something like the PCA but that's just one persons perspective and taste.

The PCA puts out a very nice magazine every month but I would cringe if SAAC started to turn into something like PCA.  My first impression of PCA (perhaps I am wrong and if so please correct me) was pretty negative as I read where you had to own a Porsche to be a member.  The only requirement I saw for SAAC was, ownership not essential, enthusiasm is.   The cost to buy a Porsche can start at 3K where entry into the vehicles that SAAC promotes start at maybe 40K (68 or 69 GT350 needing everything). 

My personal experience of PCA is in all honesty very limited however what I did see was exactly what my other Porsche friend owners told me it was.  Mostly a lifestyle club with a bunch of newer cars. Nothing wrong with that at all if that is what you are into, its just not what I would like to  be a part of.

GT350Lad

Quote from: Bigfoot on July 09, 2018, 11:09:56 PM
The Conventions are great
The annual is great
But....
The only place a whole bunch of us ever got together was the Forum...
The old Forum....

We need that back....

Like An ice cream cone on a hot day when ur 8

Well said Bigfoot. For us abroad recieving the annual is great but where I have enjoyed my time the most is on the forum. On the old forum we had bunches of threads with great detail and jovial banter that we all enjoyed. We can get that back, just give each other a bit of space and agree to disagree occasionally.

Cheers guys

6S373
6S1276