News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

The future of the SAAC

Started by kjspeed, July 08, 2018, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOBKOB

QuoteWhile I am not a regular poster on this Forum I have been a SAAC member for a good number of years and I currently own a Shelby. I grew up admiring these cars and continue to do so today. My perspective may be different than many others but I would like to respectfully share it.

I can only recall participating in 2 SAAC events over the last 20 years or so simply because the travel simply does not work for me. I don't mind my very fair dues going to support these events even though I know that I may not benefit from them (I am assuming that much of the dues go toward putting on the SAAC events but I may be incorrect). Most of what I get out of membership is actually obtained through this Forum. Until recently I was under the impression (my fault) the Forum was financially supported by SAAC but now I know different.

We live in a different age now and I will speculate that many of the members are like me, we draw from this Forum and we look forward to receiving the one publication each year. While we would like to participate in the events, it simply almost never works for us but we do enjoy reading and learning from the exchanges that take place on the Forum. The digital age is here and everyone has long since adjusted to it. With that said, I would love to see the "Club" take a more aggressive approach to this site even if that means the dues have to be adjusted accordingly. This is one of the few forums that I visit on a daily basis and I want to see it be the best that it can be and if it costs a little extra to make that happen, then so be it.

Well said.   :)

QuoteIt will go the way of clubs for the Model T and now Studebaker, Nash, Model A and other orphan cars.
Actually there are 2 national Model A clubs that are doing quite well even though membership is down from a few years ago new membership is growing as a new generation discovers the pleasure of Model A ownership.  :)

TOB

1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Coralsnake

I always knew there problems with counting in Florida. Its been a problem since the 2000 election.

;D

You got 8

Principals Details
Name/Title   Business Address   

1 CURT VOGT  PRESIDENT   37 WAREHOUSE POINT ROAD, WALLINGFORD, CT, 06492   

2 DIRK L. GASTERLAND  TREASURER

3 VIRGINIA BLINN  SECRETARY   
`
Total Number of Principals : 8 
Name:   
4 JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   

5 DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   

6 RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   

7 HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   

8 CURT VOGT DIRECTOR   

Cobra Ned

In a previous post, Bob Gaines said:

"I was informed by higher ups that the registries are owned individually by the registrars of the particular year independent of SAAC. I am not sure of if any plan is in place for passing the torch. At one time a plan/plans were being formalized. I just hope things have progressed for the sake of all of the work put into each by each of the registrars."

As the Cobra Registrar for the past 40 years, what I can tell you is this: I am aware of nothing that gives any of the Registrars ownership of the respective registries. (Nor would we necessarily want it, as some owners take umbrage at the facts about their cars being made public, thinking it devalues the vehicle. The result is a lawsuit that none of us want.) The legal document I signed gives me "ownership" of the work i put into the registry; i.e. I "own" the footnotes I prepare on the various Cobras. All that means is, the verbiage is copyrighted and can't legally be appropriated by others. Similarly, I "own" the material I have collected over the years that has contributed to organizing the facts as correctly as possible, such that whatever is published can be validated as thoroughly as possible. I have a file cabinet with a folder on every chassis number, with letters, notes, photos, etc. I believe these documents have a distinct value, but to a very narrow audience. That data isn't going anywhere except to the next Registrar or group, whoever that may be. Bob Gaines is correct in his belief that, as yet, no successor plan is in place, but that is not to say it isn't being discussed. None of us plan to do this forever.

My point here is that none of the Registrars who have been working on behalf of SAAC over the years have some kind of monopoly on the respective Registries they have produced. We are not compensated for our efforts (apart from a token $5 payment for each hard copy of the 2008 Registry sold) and don't expect to be; it's not what we agreed upon many years ago when we initially took on the job. SAAC retains the rights to the data to the extent that the club has to give its approval to any use of the data we provide beyond its publication in the official Registry, so we Registrars do not have free reign to produce our own independent work.

I would mention further that SAAC has no plans to publish another Cobra Registry any time soon in the form of a printed book. Given that fact, combined with the realization that the current Registry is now 10 years old, SAAAC has authorized The Cobra Experience in Martinez, CA to publish an online Registry that we hope to roll out later this year. Stay tuned for more information from both SAAC and The Cobra Experience as things progress.

FL SAAC

*

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 09, 2018, 09:47:47 AM
I always knew there problems with counting in Florida. Its been a problem since the 2000 election.

;D

You got 8

Principals Details

`
Name:   
4 JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   

7 HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   

8 CURT VOGT DIRECTOR   
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Coralsnake

All in good fun, my friend....this is a heavy post

427heaven

Having ties to the model A club- Corvette club-Porsche club there is a tremendous amount of strength,pride,professionalism and all done very differently. The A group write letters to each other or phone their buddies up informing them of coming events ;D The PORSCHE group were bldg. cars LONG before our OL SHEL felt like bldg. cars, they are very professional take tremendous pride in their cars and how they go about business, it is split up by choice of different factions like the old speedsters 356s 911s etc. That group is very passionate just like we are of our vintage cars or vintage Vettes or Ferraris. Speaking of Vettes when we gather the old cars group up the new cars huddle together and seemingly these groups understand the owners feelings for these cars and NEVER park cars in the gravel pit roads, mud bog entries to parking areas and such. They have volunteers as well but I feel it is nothing more then simply CARING plain and simple. Porsche and Corvette have strong ties to the Corporations maybe its time to forge some strong alliances with them as well.

csxsfm

Both Ford and Shelby, past and present, demonstrate no real support for the early production cars.  SAAC does.  Thanks to all SAAC contributors for decades of support.

427heaven

That's kinda sad for sure- There must be someone out there that has strong business ties That could help out here. I wont mention them by name but there are a few that love these cars more then anyone could know,and have the financial ability and great business sense to carry the legacy of these cars into the future.

shelbydoug

Ford  made it's deal with the current Shelby-American. That is who Ford is paying to keep Shelby's name in the marketplace.
The "settlement" is also involved in this somehow. How I don't know but it appears that it is basically, "you stay over there and leave us alone and we'll leave you alone."

Ford sees little new car sales coming out of SAAC. SAAC doesn't produce new cars.

There is definitely a split.

This isn't exactly a diplomatic procedure by Ford. Ford and SA are corporations. Things can change overnight with changes in leadership. It all depends on who is in charge of the current programs and who controls funding to what.

I don't think that SAAC is recieving funding from Ford? Why would they? The money was going to Shelby for a personal services contract and to continue producing cars.

Ironically it is SAAC that brought Shelby "back from the dead". The story of the Frankenstein monster comes comes to mind. It definitely was SAAC that shot life back into the 'ole chicken farmer.

Then, as in Esop's fable of the frog and the scorpion, the scorpion struck. That's what scorpions do.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on July 09, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
Quote from: 2112 on July 09, 2018, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 08, 2018, 11:48:50 PM
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

By Gen II I meant SVT Mustang, that data should be available from Ford, GT500 forum, SVT forum etc. Why bother SA? They are a small player.

You seem to have a counter to most everyone's comments, what is your answer? Leave it as is and watch it continue to wither away?

You got 8

Principals Details

`
Name:   
4 JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   

7 HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   

8 CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

2 of those names are counted twice. A secretary is a principle?

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on July 09, 2018, 11:04:23 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on July 09, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
Quote from: 2112 on July 09, 2018, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 08, 2018, 11:48:50 PM
Name:   
JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   
DIRK GASTERLAND DIRECTOR   
RONALD RICHARDS DIRECTOR   
HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   
CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

Missing 3?

By Gen II I meant SVT Mustang, that data should be available from Ford, GT500 forum, SVT forum etc. Why bother SA? They are a small player.

You seem to have a counter to most everyone's comments, what is your answer? Leave it as is and watch it continue to wither away?

You got 8

Principals Details

`
Name:   
4 JAMES TALBOTT DIRECTOR   

7 HOWARD PARDEE DIRECTOR   

8 CURT VOGT DIRECTOR

what am I missing? 3 of those names are counted twice.

They change their hats.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BGlover67

Quote from: Cobra Ned on July 09, 2018, 09:50:01 AM
In a previous post, Bob Gaines said:

"I was informed by higher ups that the registries are owned individually by the registrars of the particular year independent of SAAC. I am not sure of if any plan is in place for passing the torch. At one time a plan/plans were being formalized. I just hope things have progressed for the sake of all of the work put into each by each of the registrars."

As the Cobra Registrar for the past 40 years, what I can tell you is this: I am aware of nothing that gives any of the Registrars ownership of the respective registries. (Nor would we necessarily want it, as some owners take umbrage at the facts about their cars being made public, thinking it devalues the vehicle. The result is a lawsuit that none of us want.) The legal document I signed gives me "ownership" of the work i put into the registry; i.e. I "own" the footnotes I prepare on the various Cobras. All that means is, the verbiage is copyrighted and can't legally be appropriated by others. Similarly, I "own" the material I have collected over the years that has contributed to organizing the facts as correctly as possible, such that whatever is published can be validated as thoroughly as possible. I have a file cabinet with a folder on every chassis number, with letters, notes, photos, etc. I believe these documents have a distinct value, but to a very narrow audience. That data isn't going anywhere except to the next Registrar or group, whoever that may be. Bob Gaines is correct in his belief that, as yet, no successor plan is in place, but that is not to say it isn't being discussed. None of us plan to do this forever.

My point here is that none of the Registrars who have been working on behalf of SAAC over the years have some kind of monopoly on the respective Registries they have produced. We are not compensated for our efforts (apart from a token $5 payment for each hard copy of the 2008 Registry sold) and don't expect to be; it's not what we agreed upon many years ago when we initially took on the job. SAAC retains the rights to the data to the extent that the club has to give its approval to any use of the data we provide beyond its publication in the official Registry, so we Registrars do not have free reign to produce our own independent work.

I would mention further that SAAC has no plans to publish another Cobra Registry any time soon in the form of a printed book. Given that fact, combined with the realization that the current Registry is now 10 years old, SAAAC has authorized The Cobra Experience in Martinez, CA to publish an online Registry that we hope to roll out later this year. Stay tuned for more information from both SAAC and The Cobra Experience as things progress.

Thanks Ned.  It goes with out saying that we all appreciate what you and the other Registrars do.  Hopefully everyone here realizes that none of you get paid to be Registrars, in fact it generally costs you all lot's of money for the privilege.  I for one am excited to hear that there will be an electronic version of at least a part of the registry and that hopefully will be updated regularly.  It would be hard to believe that anyone would want to see another printing of the entire registry for all models when an electronic version would be so much more efficient.  It would be great to see the other sections follow suit too.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

gt350hr

"I" actually feel more comfortable with SAAC being a business. Having Curt in the leadership position is comforting with his excellent "business" record . I have been in clubs in the past where "direction" changes with the elected officials and members don't always like the "new direction" and leave. Others may and join. "Most" of the time this "wave" motion damages life expectancy of a club. (IMHO) I personally have no concerns about the future of SAAC, it will be fine.

The single biggest "problem" I see in my 46 years of Shelby specific club membership IS the increase in value. Here in So Cal we used to get 2000 and 3000 series cars to our monthly meetings and YES an occasional GT40. No parking lot security , roped off areas etc. Just a bunch of dedicated owners bringing their cars. Value alone (IMHO) has made that a thing of the past. Now the cars are looked at as "commodities " by many that trade them without any passion for them except the value they represent.  Long term ownership is becoming a thing of the past. Using one for daily transportation ( like we used to) is unheard of, again IMHO because of the value.

SAAC and it's dedicated members have developed THE source for all information related to SAI from '62-70. There is nothing better.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

deathsled

I must be easy to please but I've always been satisfied with SAAC and everyone in it. The digital publication and end of year paper version make it more than worth the membership dues alone. No plans to resign my membership any time soon...unless an 18 wheeler on the interstate makes the decision for me.

Best regards,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

csheff

+1 Randy
There is a lot of time put in by the ones in charge, putting on the Conventions are not cheap anymore and much time involved getting all the details. It's an endless job and glad we have dedicated people in charge that takes their time to do it.