Author Topic: The future of the SAAC  (Read 74629 times)

Re: The future of the SAAC
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
+1...why are we having this discussion  ??

I respectfully suggest those who are unhappy or wringing their hands in anticipation of the organizations future, apply for asylum at Team Shelby, Mid America, MCA , POCA or Corvette club...........

Gary

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
+1...why are we having this discussion  ??

I respectfully suggest those who are unhappy or wringing their hands in anticipation of the organizations future, apply for asylum at Team Shelby, Mid America, MCA , POCA or Corvette club...........

Gary.      I think it was originally a thread discussing how to make the forums work better,but it’s kind of hard to remember now....

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
If SAAC is a business where do the profits go ? To the gang of 8 listed ?

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
First of all, I appreciate the intent of this thread and I appreciate all the blood, sweat and tears that the past and present leaders have contributed to SAAC over the years. I know from past experience being involved with a very large national marque car club at the local, regional and national level, having lead that organization and represented it at the international level, it is no small task.  As for the PCA, it is a model for all to admire.  The masthead of its publication PANORAMA and the national directory of club services is monumental...but its membership is huge and the advertising revenues are considerable. Sponsorship of events is considerable.  Their HPDE programs are well run and relatively safe with certified, trained instructors. Worthy of note is that Porsche as a company appreciates the PCA and considers it a "partner" to help preserve its history and create sales.  The BMW CCA is a similarly run large organization and has like co-operation from BMW.  One would think that Ford and Shelby American would consider SAAC to be a "Keeper of the Flame" with regard to the Shelby history and mystique. Is it because SAAC is a "for profit" that they remain at arms length?
   That being said, it is imperative to plan for the future. "Status Quo" just won't hack it in this fast-paced, high tech environment. The SAAC Registrars are the "Keepers of the Flame".  Each needs a succession plan in order to keep the information safe for posterity.  The Forum, as it currently exists is a mere shadow of its former self and, unless it makes changes to bring back features of the old one, it's going to die a slow death. We're not seeing the Q&A of years past with the influx of information and picture archives.  Do we know for a fact if the current forum has back-up measures to ensure that a crash, by whatever means, won't wipe out Forum 2.0?  Do we need "Forum 3.0"?  I'd be willing to pay dues or subscribe if there was a plan to make it better.  Stepping down from my soap box now...
5S071, 6S1467

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »

see post #10

the magician says look at one hand while the other hand is doing all the "secret" stuff.

use your imagination. The hand you get to look at is the convention, the registries, and whatever publication is coming out whenever.

don't ask what the other hand is doing (with the profits) cause it ain't your business how the profits get divided.

Remember, just cause the word "club" is in the title don't mean it's a club like a typical car club.

Z.

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
+1   zray  !!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 01:44:50 PM »
+ 1

Last, I have said it before and will say it again, I believe we need to reach out to the Gen II Shelby owners. Those groups are full of young enthusiastic members and gives our membership and the original cars a group to transition the overall legacy to.

The cars are 50 years old. Growing and sustaining the club organically is a monumental task. Why ignore 50,000 cars and their owners?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
+ 1

Sage advice.

Last, I have said it before and will say it again, I believe we need to reach out to the Gen II Shelby owners. Those groups are full of young enthusiastic members and gives our membership and the original cars a group to transition the overall legacy to.

The cars are 50 years old. Growing and sustaining the club organically is a monumental task. Why ignore 50,000 cars and their owners?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
"....... Using one for daily transportation ( like we used to) is unheard of, again IMHO because of the value......"

Even though for insurance purposes, I had another "daily driver", I did indeed drive a '66 Shelby every day I owned it for 11 years, roughly 4,000 days of driving. Not counting the few times I was doing some scheduled maintenance. And I don't think I'm the only one who was making it a point to be driving as much as possible.  Now that I can't push in a clutch anymore on a regular basis, I'm very glad I put in those many hours behind the wheel.

Even a Shelby is replaceable, it's not like they made only 1 of them. What the heck is Hagerty getting paid for anyway ? just so an owner  can wax the damn thing and drive it in and out of an enclosed trailer two or three times a year. ? No thanks.  I paid them to do the worrying about the the big bucks the car was worth.

If an owner thinks a car is worth so much it can't be driven then he better have a 1 of 1 or else the insurance company is getting a very free ride.

Z

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
Really does not matter if it is a business, club or both. Welcome to America land of opportunities and free enterprise. Is this a great country or what !

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
"....... Using one for daily transportation ( like we used to) is unheard of, again IMHO because of the value......"

Even though for insurance purposes, I had another "daily driver", I did indeed drive a '66 Shelby every day I owned it for 11 years, roughly 4,000 days of driving. Not counting the few times I was doing some scheduled maintenance. And I don't think I'm the only one who was making it a point to be driving as much as possible.  Now that I can't push in a clutch anymore on a regular basis, I'm very glad I put in those many hours behind the wheel.

Even a Shelby is replaceable, it's not like they made only 1 of them. What the heck is Hagerty getting paid for anyway ? just so an owner  can wax the damn thing and drive it in and out of an enclosed trailer two or three times a year. ? No thanks.  I paid them to do the worrying about the the big bucks the car was worth.

If an owner thinks a car is worth so much it can't be driven then he better have a 1 of 1 or else the insurance company is getting a very free ride.

Z
.        Cars run ALOT better when they are not under a car cover in a dark garage IMHO 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

gospel

".

Z

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »

The Forum, as it currently exists is a mere shadow of its former self and, unless.........

Wurd
Needs more energy
Like before.........
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
I think a lot of new members are under the impression that the SAAC is a non profit club like others.  That it is someones business is okay and I have no issues with it and honestly our/your opinion doesn't matter because its not your company.  I doubt all 8 people own it but I did read an article where a fellow by the name of Rick Kopec was a co-founder, so I assume he and a mystery person (Ken?) owns it. 

Article from Jalopnik

"The legal wrangling between Carroll Shelby and Shelby American Auto Club (SAAC), the car club that celebrates his vehicles, has ended according to a release from SAAC. The troubles started when Shelby complained that SAAC had not been providing him with required financial statements and had been using his name and likeness in the course of for-profit ventures. SAAC, for its part, claims the club simply paid for itself. Whatever actually happened, some back-room maneuvering by both parties seems to have smoothed things over. Full press release from SAAC after the jump."

"The Shelby American Automobile Club has reached an agreement with Carroll Shelby and his companies to end the legal battles and return to the normal life of having fun and enjoying the people and the cars of our hobby. Today, August 8, 2008, an agreement was signed, putting behind us the turmoil and uncertainty that accompanied this legal conflict. We are now and forever the Shelby American Automobile Club. This is the result of some very hard work by people from both organizations. Rick and Ken, as well as efforts by Dave Mathews, Ron Richards and Dave Winkler at SAAC... and Amy Boylan and Carroll Shelby at CSL and Shelby Autos. ... all worked through the negotiations that settled any and all disagreements and put us all on the same page... where we can all get back to enjoying the cars and the history of Shelby American. Much more detail to follow over the next few weeks, but, now more than ever: ..... don't miss the celebration at SAAC-33... We'll be there...Team Shelby will be there... this is what it's all about. Spread the word......It's over."

So either you buy their (SAAC) product for $50 or $75 or not, its your decision. 

I believe the SAAC members and registers are great people and try extremely hard to make owning and maintaining a Shelby very easy.  As the website is free to all and ran independently of the SAAC, I now understand the "no expectation" from a lot of the members.  You make friends through the forum, local meets and the annual meet if you are able to go. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:05:43 PM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1