Author Topic: The future of the SAAC  (Read 74754 times)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the SAAC
« Reply #135 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
The future still looks bright!  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

ramrace

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2018, 12:06:57 AM »
The future of SAAC
After reading the posts on “The Future of SAAC” I feel compelled to express a variety of my thoughts.
I am a Shelby/Cobra enthusiast and I care about the legacy and future of SAAC and the cars.  Other than being a SAAC member, I have no affiliation with SAAC.
For me personally, the most important issue is keep SAAC and the hobby alive. Do we want to have a legacy, do we want to SAAC to continue, do we care about attracting future generations to the hobby?
My personal views are:
First, it is not important to me whether SAAC is a business or a club.  If someone makes a profit, fine.  A service is being provided and I choose to pay for that service.  The forum provides a considerable amount of information which I find beneficial and allows me to receive news, which I would not otherwise know, regarding what is happening in the world of Shelby’s and Cobras.  Is there another venue that provides this much information? If it is a business, principals should not use SAAC for personal gain other than compensation.
Second, I understand that to some of us the “cars” are a hobby and to others the “cars” are a business.  Fine, we can co-exist. In my “perfect world” we all are car enthusiasts with a particular affection for Shelby’s and Cobras.  Everyone should work together as group to promote the hobby and appreciate other hobbyist’s enthusiasm for the cars.  We should welcome and encourage new enthusiasts and be tolerant of their inexperience with the cars.  No one, experienced or inexperienced, should be embarrassed.   There will always be differences of opinion. What is important is how we respond to those differences of opinion.
I also understand the increasing value of the cars has influenced people’s views.
Third, there should one document clarifying SAAC, not the bits and pieces, and assumptions we see on the forum. Mystery feeds skepticism and creates rumors. 

As I understand the history of SAAC, it was started by Rick Kopec.  It is also my understanding Rick is still active with SAAC.  If he is still the “CEO” he along with other principals should post a clarification of SAAC so members have a clear understanding of how it functions. 
For example:
1.   SAAC structure.  How are they connected, SAAC, SAAC Forum, SAAC member lodge and other affiliations?
2.   Who are the SAAC Principals/directors?
3.   Is it a Club or business? 
4.   Who is responsible for publications?
5.   Registrars, who are they, contact information (permanent post on the forum), are they compensated?
6.   Is a succession plan in place for all of the above? A Will is written before the event not after the event.
7.   Who pays for the Forum?
8.   Are moderators volunteers?
9.   Affiliation with Shelby American?
If there is a clear understanding of the SAAC structure it will make the club stronger and members would be more willing to help and provide input.

Fourth, I have no affiliation with the Mid America Shelby Meet.  I have been advised Mid America is not a SAAC sanctioned event and there is contention between the two.  These differences should be mended and Mid America and SAAC should work together. Many members and judges who attend SAAC sanctioned events also attend Mid America.  Again, we should focus on promoting the hobby not individual agendas.  If the hobby disappears will the differences matter?  We should think long term not short term.
Please forgive any grammatical errors.

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2018, 07:29:44 AM »

Yes, unpaid, uncompensated, strictly on a volunteer basis.  8)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »

As I understand the history of SAAC, it was started by Rick Kopec.  It is also my understanding Rick is still active with SAAC.  If he is still the “CEO” he along with other principals should post a clarification of SAAC so members have a clear understanding of how it functions. 
For example:
1.   SAAC structure.  How are they connected, SAAC, SAAC Forum, SAAC member lodge and other affiliations?
2.   Who are the SAAC Principals/directors?
3.   Is it a Club or business? 
4.   Who is responsible for publications?
5.   Registrars, who are they, contact information (permanent post on the forum), are they compensated?
6.   Is a succession plan in place for all of the above? A Will is written before the event not after the event.
7.   Who pays for the Forum?
9.   Affiliation with Shelby American?
If there is a clear understanding of the SAAC structure it will make the club stronger and members would be more willing to help and provide input.

The lack of knowledge about what you belong to is what feeds the skepticism.  From the statements that I read from Mr. Kopec, the reason he started the SAAC was because he was frustrated with the lack of communication within the original club.  By not responding he is actually doing the same thing, is he aware of how people feel?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
I have read pages #1-#10 and see the same basic posts over and over. It's like going in circles.

Here's the way I see a remedy (or a huge BLOWOUT) is what shelbydoug replied on page #1:

shelbydoug-reply #5-Quote: My suggestion is to approach the people that are running the club at the Convention in August. That includes the President, the Board of Directors and the Administrator of this SAAC Forum.

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »
ramrace, well said...
Bill, much appreciated..
My biggest disappointment is how some members of the forum try to pick at others to the point of confrontation (verbal) over differences of opinion. We all know that opinions are like a$$holes and doorknobs, everyone has them. There are often more than one way to achieve the same results and neither necessarily the right or wrong way. How about we all try to be civil and stop the attacks and nit picking. OK?

my 2 cents

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
ramrace, well said...
Bill, much appreciated..
My biggest disappointment is how some members of the forum try to pick at others to the point of confrontation (verbal) over differences of opinion. We all know that opinions are like a$$holes and doorknobs, everyone has them. There are often more than one way to achieve the same results and neither necessarily the right or wrong way. How about we all try to be civil and stop the attacks and nit picking. OK?

my 2 cents.   You’re right with a couple of caveats:1.Assembly line correct is not a matter of opinion(it is or it isn’t ,although there were a frustrating number of mid year changes)2.Production figures are not a matter of opinion(You can’t make any more 62-70 Shelby American/Automotive vehicles NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE)my two cents....

TOB

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
I have read pages #1-#10 and see the same basic posts over and over. It's like going in circles.

Here's the way I see a remedy (or a huge BLOWOUT) is what shelbydoug replied on page #1:

shelbydoug-reply #5-Quote: My suggestion is to approach the people that are running the club at the Convention in August. That includes the President, the Board of Directors and the Administrator of this SAAC Forum.

IMO, I think at this point it is IMPERATIVE to MAKE these people state their positions publicly. Kopec AT LEAST should explain his lack of attachment to the SAACFORUM to the membership. Ron should explain his lack of concern or seeming interest with maintaining the correct operation of this forum.

I think that they should both be cornered until the satisfactorily answering these issues. Satisfactorily to the membership body of SAAC itself, not necessarily to me or any single individual.

I suspect that if both are at 43, they will be prepared to answer these questions?

I think SAAC is at a make or break point right now, and this is going to be the only way that membership will get an answer as to the future of the organization and exactly what this forum is a function of, i.e., SAAC, Ron Richards, or nothing at all.

Many here are under the distinct impression that it IS a SAAC function. Administrative response is now non-existent and in the past inconsistent with what is know publicly.

In all fairness to the membership though, they SHOULD point out where this is all going or if it is all over? Stick it with a fork, it's done?

From what I see, the main issue seems to be the SAAC Forum. There is little if no change in the 43 year old function of SAAC. It's still doing what it has always done. It has adhered to it's original statement of purpose. 43 Conventions is not sidestepping the issues.

I personally can't criticize that.

IF SAAC is dead, at least there should be an official notification so that the proper preparation for a wake and funeral services can be initiated? Maybe a bronze plaque and scattering of the ashes at a secret location?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:30:24 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
The future of SAAC .......First, it is not important to me whether SAAC is a business or a club.  If someone makes a profit, fine.  A service is being provided and I choose to pay for that service. 
Then why all the questions/suggestions.
Bottom line if someone thinks they can run SAAC better - make an offer to buy it. Rick & 3 others started it. Ken Eber, Royal Kreiger and Austin Craig. Don't know why Royal left. Austin left after SAAC got sued by a car dealer who had a car damaged at an event held by a region who said it was a SAAC event but did not advise the club of the event or get an insurance rider. Ken left as part of the recent CS settlement.Rick is the sole remaining baby sitter but from looking at the online corporate structure it appears he has passed the reins onto a new and it may be insensitive but younger group. BTW there has always been a board of directors that held meetings at the convention.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Sounds like SAAC 43 went very well according to the accounts in other threads. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make it however, no one has mentioned any feedback or discussion regarding the issues raised in this thread. Were they addressed at the convention? If so, what was the response?
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
I do not recall a question and answer segment during the banquet Saturday night.  Unless someone asked questions ono on one in private.  The program seemed well structured, but ran a little long.  Surprisingly, there were no questions for the four former Shelby American employees.  Maybe because it was eleven o'clock.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
I do not recall a question and answer segment during the banquet Saturday night.  Unless someone asked questions ono on one in private.  The program seemed well structured, but ran a little long.  Surprisingly, there were no questions for the four former Shelby American employees.  Maybe because it was eleven o'clock.

Greek
Ran a little long is a understatement . The 45 minute advertisement for how great Team Shelby is was a little excessive IMO. They are a like minded needed group ,yes. Glad they were there,yes . Brother and sisters in arms sure . I did start to get the feeling I was being prepped for something with those series of testimonials . The slide show given by the heavy accent British/Scottish? guy with the super thick accent talking about bringing Team Shelby to the British isles seemed to go on forever with irrelevant facts it seemed to me. That did me in. I was wore out and left at 10:30 during the speech about the Lonestar.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

Greek
Ran a little long is a understatement . The 45 minute advertisement for how great Team Shelby is was a little excessive IMO. They are a like minded needed group ,yes. Glad they were there,yes . Brother and sisters in arms sure . I did start to get the feeling I was being prepped for something with those series of testimonials . The slide show given by the heavy accent British/Scottish? guy with the super thick accent talking about bringing Team Shelby to the British isles seemed to go on forever with irrelevant facts it seemed to me. That did me in. I was wore out and left at 10:30 during the speech about the Lonestar.

I was taking the high road.  I could have done without the lengthy British Isles presentation as well, or cut down to about 5 minutes.   
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »

Greek

I was taking the high road.  I could have done without the lengthy British Isles presentation as well, or cut down to about 5 minutes.
I hope nothing I said was out of line. It wasn't meant to insult anyone just to convey observations and contex. Given that you took the high road means I took the low road?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
Aside from listening to Jim Owens, a true gentleman, the banquet at SAAC 43 was a complete wast of time. Well not totally, the food was spot on. I'm tired of the Shelby American come buy our new cars sales pitch whenever they are involved in a event. As paying members we could be looked at as stockholders in SAAC. How about letting us know how the club as a whole is doing, financials, membership, things that anyone who is paying for membership to a organization would expect. I  hear these things from my local region on a regular bases but not from the national. It would have been nice to hear from  whoever is on the board of directors, as to the current status of the club.

When I ran my region I did my best to keep everyone informed.