News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

GT350 bypass hose and clamps

Started by bhoulis, July 08, 2018, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhoulis

George Schalk

Since the cast iron intake was changed out for the COBRA intake after the motor was assembled and painted on the '67 GT350's, the water neck, bolts, bypass hose and clamps should all be painted blue.  The intake bolts should also be painted blue.

J_Speegle

Quote from: George Schalk on July 08, 2018, 04:44:34 PM
Since the cast iron intake was changed out for the COBRA intake after the motor was assembled and painted on the '67 GT350's, the water neck, bolts, bypass hose and clamps should all be painted blue.  The intake bolts should also be painted blue.

+1  Bolt heads + clamp screw heads showing marks and/or chips from the removal/ loosening as well as reinstallation are just fine and an often welcomed sight ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

bhoulis

Just curious, but would the intake manifold sealing washers have been re-used? Thanks for the quick response. Brian

J_Speegle

Quote from: houlis on July 08, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
Just curious, but would the intake manifold sealing washers have been re-used? Thanks for the quick response. Brian

Believe so. They are not easy to remove and replaced so it would likely take more additional time than ford wanted to spend so they just reused them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

Since he is asking, it is appropriate to mention this:  What are the exact clamps to use?  I mention this because, I think we had it pre-burn-down.  Also, let's mention the correct "clocking".

Bob Gaines

Yes the by pass hose clamps are different then the heater hose clamps. The same size slotted bolt head but smaller diameter thread. The width of the metal band is narrower as well. Apparently for some reason not yet known the bypass clamps installed at the engine plant were different compared to the heater hose clamps installed on the assemblyline. I will try and get some pictures of clamps I can put side by side for comparison later tonight.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

George Schalk

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 08, 2018, 09:23:02 PM
Yes the by pass hose clamps are different then the heater hose clamps. The same size slotted bolt head but smaller diameter thread. The width of the metal band is narrower as well. Apparently for some reason not yet known the bypass clamps installed at the engine plant were different compared to the heater hose clamps installed on the assemblyline. I will try and get some pictures of clamps I can put side by side for comparison later tonight.
Bob, would the narrower tower clamps also be used on the bypass hose on the '67 GT500 cars as well?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: George Schalk on July 08, 2018, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 08, 2018, 09:23:02 PM
Bob, would the narrower tower clamps also be used on the bypass hose on the '67 GT500 cars as well?
I don't believe so. Maybe Dearborn vs Cleveland?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

Where did the cast iron intake get removed and replaced with the aluminum version?
I thought by now Ford would have taken over this task as part of cost cutting.

If at Ford, which shop did it? Seems odd that the most cost effective way to do this was to have Cleveland install it rather than the cast iron. But, other factors were probably at play...
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

Quote from: Bossbill on July 13, 2018, 08:48:01 PM
Where did the cast iron intake get removed and replaced with the aluminum version?

If at Ford, which shop did it? Seems odd that the most cost effective way to do this was to have Cleveland install it rather than the cast iron. But, other factors were probably at play...

Yes, it is my understanding that by this time (maybe even later '66 engines too??) that is what was occurring on the GT350's, and it was done in Cleveland engine plant.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bossbill on July 13, 2018, 08:48:01 PM

Had been for a while

Quote from: Bossbill on July 13, 2018, 08:48:01 PMIf at Ford, which shop did it? Seems odd that the most cost effective way to do this was to have Cleveland install it rather than the cast iron. But, other factors were probably at play...

Sure there are other things in play that made it make more sense to Ford or they would not have been following this practice for over a year or mosre

JD

Now that the easy photo loading is up (THANKS RON!!)

Here are a couple images from the old forum, these may have been provided by Bob G, I don't remember...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0