News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra Tach I.D

Started by shelby001, July 08, 2018, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby001

Looking for some help on a tach that person has for sale  . Its chrome case 9 k rpm tach & inside has E-357 stamped on it in ink claims he bought in 1966 for $60  at a Ford dealer. I take it it must be an over the counter tach . Second question what would it be worth to purchase he claims it works fine?
Any help would be appreciated

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on July 08, 2018, 04:22:06 PM

Looking for some help on a tach that person has for sale  . Its chrome case 9 k rpm tach & inside has E-357 stamped on it in ink claims he bought in 1966 for $60  at a Ford dealer. I take it it must be an over the counter tach . Second question what would it be worth to purchase he claims it works fine?
Any help would be appreciated
First off you would need to confirm what face , what needle and confirm what wires in back . The price will vary by hundreds of dollars depending on what you are looking at. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

Face has the cobra logo  thin red needle red black wiring , has E375   in ink on inside & has chrome case. 

shelby001

Also did Sun Tach company make these for Ford to sell over the counter back in the 60`s ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on July 08, 2018, 09:31:45 PM
Face has the cobra logo  thin red needle red black wiring , has E375   in ink on inside & has chrome case.
No it was not a Sun tach version. It was a Faria tach version. There are a couple of different locations for Cobra logos. At the very least your missing a wire and a needle based on what you say. There are a number of different types with different details all with different values. I know I couldn't put a accurate value on a Factory Cobra tach based on the limited info given here . Maybe someone else can. ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

Remember, pictures can help the expert dudes figure it out for you.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406

shelby001

Quote from: kingchief on July 09, 2018, 07:50:13 AM
Remember, pictures can help the expert dudes figure it out for you.

All the best,

Steve
Sorry there is a white needle & red plus the wire for the light , the being the RPM set needle has a chrome case with mounting bracket.

gt350hr

Chrome cover = Over The Counter. "Bottom logo" tachs ( like the OTC parts) should be carefully compared to a 'known" assembly line tach as Faria changed some of the needles over the time they were manufactured. The bracket supplied with the OTC tachs in not like the SAI version.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelby001

Ya he said he bought at a Ford dealer in `66  . So it would be an over the counter Ford part  He was asking $300 (chrome is excellent )

CSX 3183

Well with the further detail, it sounds like a Real Mc Coy, and I'd say a fair price.  I've seen several 9000 tachs for much more than 300
Member of SAAC since 1977

6s1640

If it is the service tach, it will not command as much money as the assembly line version.  If the needles are tapered, it is definitely service part.  If the needles are uniform in width, it is an assembly line tach.  They did sell assembly line tach's over the counter.  It is only a matter of timing and what was on their shelf when your tach was purchased.  It could be either.  Tach cups can be swapped out or painted.  So the finish on the cup is not a primed indicator of service part or assembly line part, but a chrome one does suggest service part.  The needle shapes are a pretty good indicator.

Best of luck

Cory

shelby001

Needles look uniform but are pointed at the end . I would say its an over the counter part from Ford as the seller said he bought from a Ford dealer in 1966 .

6s1640

Hi Shelby001,

An "over the counter" (OTC) part still can be a configured assembly line part.  The description of the needles sounds like a  configured assembly line part.  I purchased years ago a early NOS COBRA tach with COBRA emblem on top with a August 1965 date code.  It had the uniform needle with the chrome cup.  I have since swapped on an original wrinkle painted black cup.  Now it matches an assembly line tach exactly.  The $300 is not a bad price.  How are the wires and connectors?

Best of luck.

Cory

s2ms

Can you post some pics? That will really help to nail it down...
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on July 10, 2018, 02:03:58 PM
Needles look uniform but are pointed at the end . I would say its an over the counter part from Ford as the seller said he bought from a Ford dealer in 1966 .
If you haven't bought it then buy it . :o From the info you have added to this thread it is well worth the 300.00 . Then you can post pictures.