News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Can anyone ID the serial number of this car

Started by acman63, January 21, 2018, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

I can't recall where this pic came from but looks very period,  I can see the stamped number but can't read it.  anyone have an idea?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

EdwardGT350

late car since it has the valve cover hold down brackets?
btw what is the plate thingy above the alternator.
also is there body color overspray on the hood hinges and export brace?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

I would have guessed it was a post mid April car with a possible VIN above 2000 based on the few clues in the picture.

It has been suggested that the car may be 6S2186 or 6S2169
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: EdwardGT350 on January 21, 2018, 09:42:19 PM
late car since it has the valve cover hold down brackets?
btw what is the plate thingy above the alternator.
also is there body color overspray on the hood hinges and export brace?
I am not sure what plate thingy you are seeing.It all looks typical . Maybe you are seeing the superimposed starter solenoid and wires.The over spray on the hinges would indicate some previous non factory body work. there are other maintenance things that have been changed like filter and positive battery cable. The cable is a little strange to be changed given the assemblyline battery which typically would only last 2 or 3 years. The positive battery cables are typically good for many years of normal use.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

EdwardGT350

what is the silver aluminum plate just below the coil?
1966 GT350 6s1761

acman63

love the remnants of the engine ID  paper tag on the coil and the lighter blue Fomoco adjustable shocks

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

6s1802

It has the valve cover hold down tabs, I have 1802 which has the tabs, Brant Halderman knows the serial number spread when they were used. That should narrow it down.
\

Bob Gaines

Quote from: acman63 on January 21, 2018, 11:08:49 PM
love the remnants of the engine ID  paper tag on the coil and the lighter blue Fomoco adjustable shocks
The light Ford blue engine paint is almost a exact match to 66 shocks that are the blue. Much later 66 shock versions were black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 21, 2018, 09:37:37 PM
Where is Abby from NCIS when we need her?

Agree, I was thinking maybe the new forum has the tech to blow it up and enhance it  ;)
6S373
6S1276

mgreene

'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Have you tried enlarging the right side stamping? It almost looks like Al Jardine of the Beach Boys?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM66H

I have this info in my files about the car in this photo:

It's 6S2169, sold on 6/29/66

This photo was taken in Dec 1966, and may show the first owner, Raleigh Dunson of Des Moines, IA

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976