Author Topic: NOS Ducted Lower Rear Brake Scoops? Opinions?  (Read 4720 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
NOS Ducted Lower Rear Brake Scoops? Opinions?
« on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
A friend of mine recently told me that he had purchased a very rare set of NOS ducted lower rear brake scoops for a 1967 Shelby.  I can't help but question if these are correct, since these parts would have been fabricated during the few short months that 1967's had ducted rear scoops, correct?  Do they look correct?  For my friend's sake, I hope they are real.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

roddster

• View Profile
Re: NOS Ducted Lower Rear Brake Scoops? Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:04:05 PM »
  Those are not "early" scoops.  I had a set just like your photos show.  Bought them at the dealer in 1972.  $28.__ each.  Nice price right?  I came to my senses and repaired the scoop I bounced off of the garage door opening, so, I have originals on my car.  And, sold the dealer bought scoops at a swap meet long ago.  "Trembczynski" was dry markered on the boxes.
   The scoops shown are good for a later built car.  Yet before the dropping of the ductwork to cool the brakes.
   Seems the maker of the early type scoops had to machine the back (mounting surface) of the scoop and had a funnel-like vortex mounted to it.  So when you looked inside it was a clearly two piece base. Then the scoop part you see on the quarter was glassed to the back.

I think J.D> might have photos that show this.  And I think his photos might be of my car's lower scoop internals.  I posted them on the Pre-crash forum.

To summarize: Yours look good and would be correct for a not early built car.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:13:47 PM by roddster »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
A friend of mine recently told me that he had purchased a very rare set of NOS ducted lower rear brake scoops for a 1967 Shelby.  I can't help but question if these are correct, since these parts would have been fabricated during the few short months that 1967's had ducted rear scoops, correct?  Do they look correct?  For my friend's sake, I hope they are real.

They look like the reproductions that Tony Branda sells. The originals have a different backing plate/hose configuration.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
  Those are not "early" scoops.  I had a set just like your photos show.  Bought them at the dealer in 1972.  $28.__ each.  Nice price right?  I came to my senses and repaired the scoop I bounced off of the garage door opening, so, I have originals on my car.  And, sold the dealer bought scoops at a swap meet long ago.  "Trembczynski" was dry markered on the boxes.
   The scoops shown are good for a later built car.  Yet before the dropping of the ductwork to cool the brakes.
   Seems the maker of the early type scoops had to machine the back (mounting surface) of the scoop and had a funnel-like vortex mounted to it.  So when you looked inside it was a clearly two piece base. Then the scoop part you see on the quarter was glassed to the back.

I think J.D> might have photos that show this.  And I think his photos might be of my car's lower scoop internals.  I posted them on the Pre-crash forum.

Plus texture of fiberglass is different on inside of scoop. They are most likely later made service replacements which are not like what SA installed back in the day. Cool boxes .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »

Plus texture of fiberglass is different on inside of scoop. They are most likely later made service replacements which are not like what SA installed back in the day. Cool boxes .

To me it looks like the boxes got "Pookied" to fit aftermarket reproduction scoops? The boxes are likely original but the scoops aren't.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
To me it looks like the boxes got "Pookied" to fit aftermarket reproduction scoops? The boxes are likely original but the scoops aren't.
LOL

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »

Rod/Bob, that is basically what I thought too when Brian and I talked off-line.

I said that too, looks so "pookied"
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

He sure did and I had to laugh.  If Marty only knew how famous (or infamous) he has become.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »

He sure did and I had to laugh.  If Marty only knew how famous (or infamous) he has become.
I'm sure he keeps up with this forum. How do you think he formulates his half truths in his ebay ads? You mix a little legitimate info from this forum and a little of his home brew bs add in a pookie ized modified Ford box = a pookie ebay auction. At least that is my opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
I'm curious about the "Made In Canada" stamp.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:03:27 PM »
There were a number of '67 fiberglass parts suppliers used, one was out of Canada Plaza Glass I believe.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »
  While we're at it then.  How about somebody posting a picture or two of some known "later" scoops.  After all, NOW it is easier to post pictures.  Then we all have something to identify those.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »
See below:
A - early ducted with embedded attachment bolts
B - later with ducted with riveted attachment bolts
C - later non ducted with riveted attachment bolts

Second Image, both early one "lower duct location, and "center" duct location.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:52:45 AM by JD »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Fantastic information & images JD (I've missed all your posts like these)

On the second image of the earlier ducted scoops, which style was used first?
Was the centered duct expected to perform better, but proved no different than the easier to attach lower fitted duct?
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »
Rich, thanks - so easy to upload again!

I'm not sure which was used first the "lower" or the "centered" seems they were used at the same time.  But it is interesting to note a section of the factory Mustang center brace/section needed to be removed for the center location duct stub to be used.  Most if not all the cars had (some or a lot of) the Ford Mustang center brace removed even when they got the lower duct stub scoop.  Both versions required having two holes drilled to accept the two scoop mounting studs to the car.

The second image lower duct stub location the red arrow points the, barely visible at this angle, cut brace.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 02:16:35 PM by JD »