News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

AIR CONDITIONING IN A 500KR

Started by Steve Meltzer, July 22, 2023, 08:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

I know A/C in these cars is rare, but how well does the factory unit work? I know that a 55 year old unit, in a black interior, in Texas, with global warming doesn't bode well, but what can I expect? Will it pose heat problems for the stock 428CJ set up?
thqnx steve

Coralsnake

Lost me at "global warming" 😉

It works very well if its serviced properly and maintained.

About 30% of KRs had AC
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TLea

Guy that used to own it owns very successful HVAC company. Bet it works real well

Steve Meltzer

Ah ooops! didn't realize i stepped on a political snake. s

crossboss

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on July 22, 2023, 08:31:29 AM
I know A/C in these cars is rare, but how well does the factory unit work? I know that a 55 year old unit, in a black interior, in Texas, with global warming doesn't bode well, but what can I expect? Will it pose heat problems for the stock 428CJ set up?
thqnx steve

It was just as hot in 1968 as it is today. Keep the political crap out of it. As Coralsnake said, if its serviced correctly, the A/C will work just fine.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Steve Meltzer

Wow! I'm a newbie and have already had a trip to the woodshed. If I have to wear Nomex, I will need A/C. s

Coralsnake

Don't take it personally. There are some people that don't have boundaries.

I promise you wont get sugar coating here though
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Steve Meltzer

Like most here, I've been on many forums, sold cars on BaT, etc and to keep a thick skin, I usually go to something that I perceive as clever and modestly humorous. Unfortunately, on the 'net, as in any written work, it can be hard to convey that intent. As they used to say in military school and my tour in the USAF, "carry on". s

TLea

Bottom line is this.  If you are looking for 4spd AC fastback kr it's probably 2nd best on planet. Owner of #1 not likely to sell (he also has 8 4spd AC kr convertibles)

Steve Meltzer

I suppose there will always be some disagreement, but I've generally been of the camp that sees AC in a 'vert as superfluous. Tho' I am looking for an AC/4-speed/CJ 500KR FB, i'd consider an Acapulco Blue 4 speed convertible. (No air is fine). thanx s

TLea

AC verts, redundant yes but super valuable. 57 made

Peter L.

I'll let you know. Mine is in the assembly stage right now.  :)
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

Quote from: TLea on July 23, 2023, 04:38:29 PM
AC verts, redundant yes but super valuable. 57 made

Being an original rag top guy myself, I disagree with that evaluation.

I'm from southern NY. It took me three convertibles to figure out that here you NEED a white padded top, a/c AND a white interior, otherwise you could only comfortably drive the car at night in the summer. Otherwise you literally would be toast.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!