Author Topic: Race Fuels, Additives, and Octane Booste? What's real, what's BS, what to use?  (Read 9540 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hopefully that half tank used is at WOT.

ONLY if you were TRYING to out run the police. They have Tarus SHO's here and they don't care if they break them chasing you. It lets them run the car at WOT, use a stun gun on you, hit you with the club, then hog tie you. But it's all in a good days fun.

You look like bacon frying in the pan after they stun you. You kind of wiggle around on the ground...then they get to drive your car back to the impound.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:13:56 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Great visuals, Doug!
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
It's my goal to personally use up as much gasoline as possible in my time on the planet.  I don't fret the price...I just wanted to mention what it is in my area...and I've seen up to $5/gal in areas like Beverly Hills and Newport Beach.

IMHO: The best use of dead dinosaurs is in a thirsty Ford V8.

I posted earlier that I run $9/gallon 110 leaded VP Race Fuel in my two side-oilers.   

Party on.
LOL, I LOVE IT 8)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
Thanks to CSX 4133's link earlier in this thread, I see that a gas station just up the road from me has ethanol free gas.

The only issue is it is 87 octane.

So, I'm wondering - is it best to:

• Continue using the 93 octane pump gas with ethanol in my freshly rebuilt 390 4v, which it was tuned for and which I drive regularly.
• Fill it up with the ethanol free 87 octane and then add a can of octane booster (and if so, which brand).
• Mix half 87 ethanol free gas with 101 octane ethanol free aviation gas (which is also just up the road at a small airport).

- Phillip
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:11:07 AM by propayne »
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks to CSX 4133's link earlier in this thread, I see that a gas station just up the road from me has ethanol free gas.

The only issue is it is 87 octane.

So, I'm wondering - is it best to:

• Continue using the 93 octane pump gas with ethanol in my freshly rebuilt 390 4v, which it was tuned for and which I drive regularly.
• Fill it up with the ethanol free 87 octane and then add a can of octane booster (and if so, which brand).
• Mix half 87 ethanol free gas with 101 octane ethanol free aviation gas (which is also just up the road at a small airport).

- Phillip

I would think that if you can retune the engine to run on 87 it will just make the engine run hotter since 87 produces more heat then 92.

10% ethanol is not destroying your car 15% would be more of an issue.

Leave it alone. Run Premium.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
E-gas is a major problem if you do not drive your car every couple of weeks as it separates in the tank and destroys old rubber hoses and gaskets.  Stabilizers help prevent problems , but far better to try to use e-free fuel.  I tuned my cars for the local 89 octane e-free and no trouble.  When the gas tank on our 65 Mustang was drained after using e-10 92 octane, all kinds of water came out with the fuel.  The car was only run every three to four weeks without stabilizer.   8)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
E-gas is a major problem if you do not drive your car every couple of weeks as it separates in the tank and destroys old rubber hoses and gaskets.  Stabilizers help prevent problems , but far better to try to use e-free fuel.  I tuned my cars for the local 89 octane e-free and no trouble.  When the gas tank on our 65 Mustang was drained after using e-10 92 octane, all kinds of water came out with the fuel.  The car was only run every three to four weeks without stabilizer.   8)

I'm not arguing but I want to point out that perhaps the worst blend of chemical compounds is for high octane leaded racing gas. NONE of these blends will be a perfect product.

The more people that are asked, the more there will be people that have issues will ALL blends of gas. The fact of the matter is the nature of any is that it is not intended to have stability over long periods of time. It's intended for you to use it within a "normal period of time" ( I hate the term normal).

I personally have found 10% ethanol unleaded Premium as stable as anything I've ever used.

I would tell you that if you choose to use SUNOCO Cam II unleaded racing gas, use it up within about 30 days.  It will still run your engine after that but you will loose some of the octane raising additives.

One of the advantages of unleaded premium is that it runs way cleaner then leaded fuels. It doesn't leave the same type of deposits that leaded does. Anyone who reads the plugs in their engines can clearly see that.

Leaded leaves a mess and the compounds that remain in the exhaust sytem from it not only are corrosive and dangerous to the environment, but they are a health hazard TO YOU because you are the one most exposed to them from driving the car with that fuel.

The bottom line is that unleaded with ethanol is not a bad compromise and works pretty well.

I've owned my 68 GT350 since 1971, and experienced the switch over from leaded to unleaded. I have not experienced ANY of the published issues with that car by using unleaded. The high octane leaded caused lots of problems.

This is just my experience and I agree that others will have their own personal experiences BUT if you heard that this happeded to others and it didn't happen to you, you are just promoting the story of Chicken Little and in my view, the sky is not falling with ethanol.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!