News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Magnum 500 backspacing

Started by Dunerider777, July 09, 2018, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunerider777

I am trying to find out what the correct backspacing is for a magnum 500 wheel for a 1966 GT350H. I am having my wheels restored right now and there are two different measurements on the set that I have that are a complete set of 5. The first measurement is 3 5/8" and the second is 4 1/8". I would like to find out what is correct so the wheels can be reassembled with the correct back spacing. Thank you.

Rocket

Not positive, but the 3 3/8 sounds like what mine are. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Rocket

Correction, 3 5/8 should be what I said, Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

4-1/8" sounds close to what it would be for a 15x8" wheel.

SHELB66

Backspacing should be right around 3-1/2" to 3-5/8".  The 4-1/4" backspacing sounds like the measurement for a MoPar rim which many times gets confused with the Shelby rim.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Brant

3 3/8 BS for the ones that I have always measured.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

6s1640

The typical back spacing is the 3 3/8, but I have seen 3 1/2 and maybe 3 1/4.  There can be a tolerance of +/- 1/8.  The Dodge rim can be restored to the GT350 back spacing with the 795C rim shell.  But the problem is the corrosion left on the rim shell will need to be repaired before or during the chroming process.  This is because the new back spacing exposes this area on the rim shell  that was previously covered.

Best of luck

Cory

gt350hr

The most important thing are "no safety bead" on the "hoop" portion and that the "hoop" is put on the center "backwards". This means the "short" , drop center side of the wheel  faces "in" instead of out. This also requires that portion of the "hoop" to be polished before plating when it is not normally that way. This requires the tire be mounted "from the back side" 3-3/8ths is the Motor Wheel Co specification. Their "tolerance" at the time was +-.020 to SAI. I saw a print 40 years ago.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.