News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'65 GT350 5006 at Archway Ford

Started by Bill Collins, July 09, 2023, 07:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Collins

Quote from: CharlesTurner on August 09, 2023, 11:22:17 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on August 09, 2023, 07:59:48 AM
I believe that "Black Stripe" by the Door Handle is a Plastic Piece on the Door Lip to protect it from Dinging something and chipping the Paint.

Correct, they were put on at the Ford assembly plant.  Can be seen on other period photos at Carter St./Venice and LAX.

Here are some Dave Friedman photos of a batch of the first hundred cars from San Jose assembly being unloaded at Shelby American behind Carter Avenue. Note the door protectors on some cars. I recall seeing these on various new Fords back in the day and have one in my parts collection. The ones on cars around here were clear vinyl although the San Jose ones are black. This is likely an assembly plant variation.

Also note some cars lacking roof roof louvres and rear windows - these were destined to be R Models. 
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bill Collins on August 10, 2023, 02:03:18 PM
.............................. The ones on cars around here were clear vinyl although the San Jose ones are black. This is likely an assembly plant variation.

Have seen "clear" ones also on San Jose built cars but in later years. Likely a supplier thing (certain plants and year also in th emix)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

I got some  ford black door edge rubber protectors that simply push on and off the door skin edge at the doors most outer point so when cars were transported the door edge paint wont get chipped when getting loaded and moved around. They can easy get bumped off but are a very good idea when opening the door in a tight spot.

Tomdeg

Found this under the dash of my '66. Is this a door guard? Apparently clear but has yellowed over time.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Tomdeg on August 11, 2023, 05:59:03 PM
Found this under the dash of my '66. Is this a door guard? Apparently clear but has yellowed over time.

Never seen one cut or notched in sections
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Tomdeg

It was on the sheetmetal edge of the opening below the A pillar, like to protect wires? Maybe someone's modification?

greekz

I had one on my car, 1134, when I took it apart during the restoration.  I put it back on.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339