Author Topic: Italian Secura F.I.V. Steering Wheel Question  (Read 2938 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Italian Secura F.I.V. Steering Wheel Question
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
I picked this up off eBay recently for next to nothing.  I'm thinking to hold on to it for a future '65/66 Mustang project someday.  Does anyone know what cars, if any, used these?  Were they just aftermarket steering wheels?  For those unaware, the manufacturer is the same as who made our 1967 Steering wheels.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Italian Secura F.I.V. Steering Wheel Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
I picked this up off eBay recently for next to nothing.  I'm thinking to hold on to it for a future '65/66 Mustang project someday.  Does anyone know what cars, if any, used these?  Were they just aftermarket steering wheels?  For those unaware, the manufacturer is the same as who made our 1967 Steering wheels.

I can't help myself reducing the pic size. Great find!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
Sorry Rich.  I posted it on a Mac and it didn’t look too bad.  I can’t believe I made such a silly mistake considering just how easy it is to post pictures on this forum.  :o
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:18:07 AM »
 ;D
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »

You will not be able to install on a 65/66 model with out some modifications . The least of which is something to take the place of the turn signal canceler pins .
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:55:29 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »
Do you think the spline won’t fit the steering shaft?  What cars do you think this wheel was designed to fit?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
Do you think the spline won’t fit the steering shaft?  What cars do you think this wheel was designed to fit?
Sorry I have never had a reason to mess with one of those to know if it will fit the spline or not.I have no idea what the wheel was designed to fit . All I know is that from the appearance it was not meant to fit and function fully on a Mustang originally .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
I have that same steering wheel but in almost perfect shape. I just tried it on my tilt column for my 67 "CLONE" I'm building and it fits the splines nice. Chrome  ring edge is about 1/16 smaller than the collar on Column. maybe I can get a photo later tonight

kram350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
This wheel appears to be for a Maserati or Fiat (different spline count than a Mustang) with the horn button as a 12v switched single circuit to sound the horn, like an early '65 Mustang with relay. I believe these wheels had problems with catching fire due to the internals grounding and shorting. The little rubber washers on the contact ring deteriorate and you get a short. I have converted a quite a few of these for friends '65-'67's. You will need the GT350 center cap, a Mustang Grant adapter kit and the horn switch assembly which you can find from Fiat aftermarket suppliers. The only hard part to obtain is the steel outer horn cover where the button assembly mounts. These come up on EBAY every so often under Fiat horn covers.  They make a nice wheel at a bargain price with a little work and when done look like the real aftermarket Shelby piece. 

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 02:46:57 AM »
Thanks for all the great info!  I had a feeling that someone on here must have had experience with one of these.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover