Author Topic: 1967 MUSTANG “K” codes  (Read 3430 times)

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
1967 MUSTANG “K” codes
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
I keep coming across these ’67 “K” code Mustangs in my “67 Shelby searches for one reason or another. Most recently in the "Tulsa Midwest Shelby Meet" thread I started.”J_Speegle” posted a photo of a Nightmist Blue fastback with black steel wheels displayed on the right side of the car. I can’t recall ever seeing a car like this before. I just figured it was a base GT with the standard steel wheels and typical Mustang base hubcaps, not the Galaxie hubcap.

Bob Gaines replied back
“That is a 15 inch base wheel because of the competition suspension package . It also got a special high speed tire with the package.  FYI he has hubcaps on the other side. Hubcaps were optional.  That is a similar looking hubcap as Shelby except different center emblem. Those type hubcaps required a special extra long lugnut similar looking to the ten spoke or 69 Shelby lugnut. The lugnuts poke through the hubcap for more authentic "Mag" look. Jim C. make the special lugnuts on a limited basis now.  It also has the adjustable shocks and bigger sway bar. Very few Mustangs got the special competition suspension package in 67 that were not a Shelby.” 

Dizzy replied
"For years I told people about the 15" wheels on 67 Mustangs with factory competition suspension and most just told me My memory was fuzzy. In 1967 I was 19 years old and working in Chicago at Burt Rose Ford as apprentice tech and doing a lot of pre-delivery prep work. Two 390 GT Mustangs came on same truck that had that package. One was a FULLY loaded, red convertible and the other a dark green fastback. On my normal test drive route I had the fastback way over 100 mph. 19 year olds are not too bright. I knew they were a very special vehicle and remember them today. The red convertible was purchased by one of the dealers most loyal customers and he kept it for years and modified it many times. I remember installing the T-Bird type wheel covers and thinking they were very weird compared to the factory 14" SS wheels most had. I can remember the RWL Firestone tires ,but can't be 100% sure if they said "Super Sports Special" or other wording. What was the original tire for that option?"

So off to the internet for more research... This article popped up about two of these very rare cars. 
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1108-1967-ford-mustang-fastback-special-ks/photo-gallery/#/
As luck would have it, one of these two was the Tulsa car. The article mentions how many “K” code cars were built in each style and also notes how many of these “K” code cars received the “Comp Suspension Pkg”.  "According to Kevin Marti's Ford production database, only 195 Mustangs (non-Shelby) were sold with the Competition Suspension in '67--141 fastbacks, 33 hardtops, and 21 convertibles." No breakdown by transmission

"K" Code Mustangs    Hardtop   Fastback   Convertible
4-speed (5)                77             205          34
C4 auto (W)               43             114          16
Totals                      120             319          50
Total: 489         

The article also mentions the "K" code required the GT package. That's a questionable statement based on recent discussions.

"K" code cars with "Comp Suspension Pkg"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:59:50 AM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1967 MUSTANG “K” codes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
You may want to contact Jeff at RAMotorsports, I think he is very familiar with both the cars. He is a friendly chap.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
Seen and have made contact with maybe six others over the years out side of the two fastbacks posted above. Most recently another Night Mist 390 4 speed car.  Interesting cars IMHO juts based on rarity.

Believe I owned one back in the early 390's - back before we had Marti reports to prove the fact.  Car just handles so much better than a standard 390 67 fastback in stock form.  That one was a GTA with the two tone taillight panel option and the louvered taillight panel cover.

Here is a copy of a window sticker for one of these 67's. Package was more than the cost of upgrading to the biggest engine that year and the four speed trans combined

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:02:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Nice window sticker!

I wasn't thinking about the other V8 packages with the comp suspension package. Was that limited to just the "K" and "S" codes?
$388.53 is a hefty sum compared to all the other option prices. No wonder it was so rare.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:16:35 PM »
AWESOME pic of the two, Rich!!!

I’m drooling 🤤.
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
I wasn't thinking about the other V8 packages with the comp suspension package. Was that limited to just the "K" and "S" codes?

Not sure that there was a limitation as to power plant other than had to be a V8 due to the wheel part of the option. On a related subject I wonder if any other 67 body types were ordered/built with the option?

Also have data on another with the shoulder harness option - another unpopular/rare option

$388.53 is a hefty sum compared to all the other option prices. No wonder it was so rare.

Add in the deluxe interior and your inching towards a Shelby cost  for something that did not have the visual impact of one.  These cars often go under the radar, especially before Ford making original data available to the masses, so many of the few ;)  were owned by owners that never realized they owned one
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:44 PM »

Not sure that there was a limitation as to power plant other than had to be a V8 due to the wheel part of the option.

Also have data on another with the shoulder harness option - another unpopular/rare option
On a related subject I wonder if any other 67 body types were ordered/built with the option?

Add in the deluxe interior and your inching towards a Shelby cost  for something that did not have the visual impact of one.  These cars often go under the radar, especially before Ford making original data available to the masses, so many of the few ;)  were owned by owners that never realized they owned one

From the linked article:
"According to Kevin Marti's Ford production database, only 195 Mustangs (non-Shelby) were sold with the Competition Suspension in '67
141 fastbacks,
 33 hardtops,
 21 convertibles."

It would be nice to see the engine and/or trans breakdown.

The price is certainly up there with these costly rare options, but some folks might have just preferred the sleeper look vs the flashy Shelby's of the time.

69gt500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

My K GT Fastback

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
^
Very nice in Vintage Burgundy. I really like these without the rocker moldings.
Do you have a Marti report? Any special options with lower production numbers than the already rare "K" code fastback?

69gt500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »
^
Very nice in Vintage Burgundy. I really like these without the rocker moldings.
Do you have a Marti report? Any special options with lower production numbers than the already rare "K" code fastback?

Thanks for the compliment. Nothing out of the ordinary from an options standpoint. It is a factory 4 speed car though.

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »
I've been digging into the Competition Suspension Mustangs the last week or so.
In the article link above, it notes the number of '67 Mustangs that received this suspension upgrade by model. (141 Fastbacks, 33 Hardtops, 21 Convertibles)
Further research into some Elite Marti Reports gave another hint of the production data.

21 '67 Mustang Convertibles were built with the Competition Suspension pkg.
     19 of those were optioned with the 390 4V engine. (14 of those were equipped with a 4-speed trans, leaving 5 units built with an automatic trans)
     The 2 remaining units should be equipped with the the 289 4V Hi-Po K-code engine.

I'm assuming the Comp Suspension was only available with the 'S code - 390 4V' or the 'K code - 289 4V Hi-Po'
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:53:32 PM by Richstang »

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 08:53:07 PM »
My above post from earlier today is not showing in the recent new postings....not sure why, but hopefully this post will get it there.

Can anyone confirm what engines the 'Competition Suspension Package" could be ordered with?
(Ford data confirms only K-code 289 4V Hi-Po or S-code 390 4V engines with required GT pkg)

Also, I'm looking for any Marti Elite Reports to drill down into the production numbers by paint and trim.
Thanks

I just realized why I'm not seeing this post in new postings....the 'Lounge' is blocked in my settings to avoid reading non-sense posts from certain forum members!
It's not one of our better options, but the alternative is less appealing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 05:53:25 PM by Richstang »