News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT500 Mecum

Started by BGlover67, July 12, 2018, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on July 12, 2018, 08:08:26 PM
I do remember this car for a particular reason.
It was originally shipped to Massachusetts and had a thermactor system.

Funny story...
About three months after I purchased this automobile a gentleman called me about a 66 GT 350 he was selling.
It was a project and he gave me directions to his location.
It was 4 houses away from # 1284...
And the 66 was a carryover...

I had driven by it 2-3 times and it was under a car cover in the guy's yard...

Seriously, who would have thought?!?
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on July 12, 2018, 07:25:26 PM
I know who I sold the car too...

....and I know who restored it...

Bret

was it Emery?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

capecodmustang.com

It was not...
I sold it to a gentleman in PA who restored it for his customer.....

BGlover67

Is that pic really the car from when you owned it?  If so, quite a nice restoration considering.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

capecodmustang.com

It was sitting in a gentleman's garage in that condition for 30-40 years....
And there was carryover 4 houses away and the owners didn't know each other...

I think the restoration is very nice..
I should point out that some restorers are following what the owner wants personally or what their budget is.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: capecodmustang.com on July 13, 2018, 09:57:29 AM
It was sitting in a gentleman's garage in that condition for 30-40 years....
And there was carryover 4 houses away and the owners didn't know each other...

I think the restoration is very nice..
I should point out that some restorers are following what the owner wants personally or what their budget is.
Bret, I agree the restoration is very nice. With that said on this car given the detailing mistakes seen that don't cost anymore to get right as they do wrong budget would not be a factor. By your statement you are implying that all of the Shelby 101 detailing mistakes the restorer made in this case he did on purpose because the customer wanted them that way? Or were talking about cars in general?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

capecodmustang.com

I can't speak for this restorer or his relationship with the owner.

However, many common mistakes are made by a restorer because he simply didn't know.
Most are honest and trivial.
Example:  Different colors on different parts under the hood depending when the car was built.
Colors of PS parts etc etc..
Things like that!

But also some restorers are pressed by the owners to watch budgets and time-lines.
Example:  Do you want original 10 spokes or reproduction..?
To save money some owners will settle on reproduction.

Bretski

CharlesTurner

Sometimes trivial mistakes will bring up the question of whether or not other shortcuts were made or what might linger underneath paint.

Totally reasonable for shops to restore cars based on budgets and that sort of thing, it just comes with a bit of scrutiny when they eventually come up for sale.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Hockeylife

So what do you guys think this car, or a similar,  will sell for in today's market?

Hockeylife

What no thoughts/opinions on pricing? Do tell!

Richstang

Tough to guess, since it's in Harrisburg it should not have stupid money thrown at it like in Scottsdale or Vegas.

The added lemans stripes and large letter Goodyears' definitely will play up to the auction crowd.
I'd throw out a guess, but suspect it would offend some people.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Based on what was mentioned, I would want to see pictures/documentation how rust etc was handled during restoration.

I am not a expert, I think it is a great looking car. If every thing restored chassis/body wise to the highest standard, I would guess at least a buck fifty.

Richstang

Besides the lemans stripes, the red shocks and green battery top are signs the car was not restored to factory standards. That's just the obvious stuff, but will keep the purists away. It's a clean show car, just not SAAC / MCA standards. 150 or maybe a bit more was my guess too, it depends on when it crosses the block. Sat night prime time will help.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

If you need 100% assemblyline correct, parts can be swapped.

LeMans stripes? That's a $20,000+ correction in my neck of the woods.  :P

Hockeylife

There was, what seemed to me, a nice red 67 GT500 recently on eBay which did not meet reserve at $133k. So, in my limited knowledge, seems $150k could be ballpark. Though there have been recent auctions, talked about in other threads, suggest could be high. Who knows, worth what 1 will pay.
Sad to hear someone could be reluctant to voice an opinion for fear of offending others.
Another question I have as a newbie, is I plan to attend my first convention in a couple weeks, will there be cars there for sale? And will they all be to the highest standards? What prices will they likely command? Thanks