News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 Garage Find Pricing

Started by 67GT500#1594, July 14, 2018, 08:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GT500#1594

Well, my buddy down the street has decided to sell his 67 GT500. It's actually and very interestingly, the sister car to mine! It was built at San Jose exactly, consecutively, behind my car! After 50 years apart these  two cars from two different areas are 2 miles apart!

Anyway, he has decided to sell. He might post it soon on eBay but maybe not? The car hasn't moved in 4 years or more and unfortunately is very tired. The interior has since mildewed pretty bad and all bright work is beyond reusing. Paint is worn and bubbled in a few areas. The engine now has leaks and such. Overall he thinks the cars condition is a #4. I think it's worse, probably towards a #5 given all the things that need replacement and rebuilding.

Also and the biggest issue, I think, is it doesn't have the original VIN plate. The car was restored mid 80's and they replaced the VIN plate with a very nice but incorrect "reversed stamped" plate. This is pretty huge to me as it's missing a substantial part of its Shelby DNA.

What's your opinions on what a "true" market value is for a non running, NOM, Brittany Blue, 4spd, 10 spokes, flat tires, 67 GT500? I see Hagerty values a #4 at $111,000. That's insanely high to me!

Thanks!! Matt

davez

What condition is the sheet metal? Have the floors quarters doors aprons been replaced or original and just need repaired?

Bigfoot

Plate would mean little to me. Not a six figure car tho.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

67GT500#1594

All the sheet metal is fine from what I can tell. It does have some bubbling of paint in odd areas, like the top of the cowl. It's a older restoration that hasn't been kept up. Paint is old, faded and corners worn from car covers. Interior is rather sad. All the seats, belts, dash, basically everything has a pretty good mildew build up! It's practically buried in a garage. I'd post a pic but can't get it on here?

davez

69mach351w

67GT500#1594,  send me a photo(s), I will post it. Sent you a PM.

Plate not really a problem if it's the correct vin.More importantly:does it still have all the ford vins/do they correspond to the Shelby vin on the repop plate?THAT is the biggie!

Coralsnake

Price like condition is subjective. What maybe "good" or "fine" to one person, might be bad to someone else. Grading cars you havent seen in person is not a very productive use of time.

To me, the missing plate is an issue. Unless the car is discounted, why screw around with it? It will always have that negative attached. To me a bad plate is worse than no plate. I just saw a 1968 that had the door tag changed to reflect a color change. Its "not a big deal" until the real tag turns up ...on another car.

There are plenty of Shelbys for sale. Run it up on eBay and see what the market offers. You can set a high hidden reserve and you might be surprised.

kram350

What is the projected restoration dollars to make it even road worthy? Doing it yourself is one thing, having someone do it for you is another. If you paid 80k for it and needed to put 50 in, maybe not such a great deal. To me it's a numbers game, unless you like doing the work. If you always wanted a car like this it might be a way to get in under the market?  The VIN plate missing is a detractor, but 95% of viewers of the car won't know the difference. 

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 15, 2018, 09:45:34 AM
Price like condition is subjective. What maybe "good" or "fine" to one person, might be bad to someone else. Grading cars you havent seen in person is not a very productive use of time.

To me, the missing plate is an issue. Unless the car is discounted, why screw around with it? It will alwways have that negative attached. To me a bad plate is worse than no plate. I just saw a 1968 that had the door tag changed to reflect a color change. Its "not a big deal" until the real tag turns up ...on another car.

There are plenty of Shelbys for sale. Run it up on eBay and see what the market offers. You can set a high hidden reserve and you might be surprised.

Big +1

I've seen people (recently) purchase an original Shelby Tag, put it on another car, and try to sell it as original.

Not worth the headache, IMO.
Nothing beats a classic!

jgroce1985

For 80k+ I'd probably sell my gt500 #1587 that I just bought. It's like the others say it's all in how much someone would have in restoring it. I think better deals are out there then 110k

Quote from: jgroce1985 on July 16, 2018, 12:46:13 AM
For 80k I'd probably sell my gt500 #1587 that I just bought. It's like the others say it's all in how much someone would have in restoring it. I think better deals are out there then 110k

What condition is #1587 in?

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on July 16, 2018, 12:19:06 AM
Quote from: Coralsnake on July 15, 2018, 09:45:34 AM

To me, the missing plate is an issue. Unless the car is discounted, why screw around with it? It will alwways have that negative attached. To me a bad plate is worse than no plate. I just saw a 1968 that had the door tag changed to reflect a color change. Its "not a big deal" until the real tag turns up ...on another car.

Big +1

I've seen people (recently) purchase an original Shelby Tag, put it on another car, and try to sell it as original.

Not worth the headache, IMO.   That's also why provenance is so important as well IMHO...

Richstang

Quote from: 2112 on July 16, 2018, 01:16:41 AM
Quote from: jgroce1985 on July 16, 2018, 12:46:13 AM
For 80k I'd probably sell my gt500 #1587 that I just bought. It's like the others say it's all in how much someone would have in restoring it. I think better deals are out there then 110k

What condition is #1587 in?

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2028.0
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar