News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

The Monkees Season 2, Episode 21 Daytona Coupe from 1968

Started by kkupec02, August 30, 2023, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkupec02

I watched an old tv show and found some nice Shelby Daytona Coupe video.  "The Monkees Race Again" "Leave the Driving to Us"   February 12, 1968
Davy drives the Monkeemobile in an auto race when the British entry (owned by an old friend of Davy's grandfather) is sabotaged by Baron Von Klutz (David Hurst) and his Klutzmobile.
The 'Klutzmobile' is the original Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe (chassis #CSX2287). 
1967 GT500 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

pchmotoho

Can never get enough of that video. Griffith Park I believe.

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

Yes, Griffith Park. Lots of TV shows like Highway Patrol, Mannix, Adam-12, Emergency and more were regularly shot up there. It still looks much the same today.

I like the "start/finish" line conveniently located outside the studio sound stages.

Classic TV car flubs: 

#1:   0:41.  Tach at 1000 rpm while Davy's got it floored.  (Happens agains at 1:33.)

#2:  Stunt driver is much taller than Davy.

#3:  Davy "power shifts" his 2-speed Powerglide transmission twice.

#4:  The butterflies on the blower scoop never open.

#5: The spare tire from the Cobra that gets rolled out the door is a 5-lug whitewall. Probably came out of the trunk of a studio transportation guy's personal car.

There are more, but this is a fun clip, and not a car documentary.  I like the starter grabbing the girl's skirt/panties as she walks by, to use it as the flag.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Was it Specters car then or still Jim Russells? Some shots it's very shiny and the closeups they put the dulling stuff on to stop the glare.
What's the CS tie to the Monkee Mobile? Dean Jefferies built it and he was sent by CS with Phil Remington to redesign the J Car after Miles was killed. It took them only 2 weeks from arrival in Detroit for the finished wind tunnel tested MK-IV body to be completed. Later Dean Jefferies was there with Foyt and a GT40 caught his eye. One of Ford's more benevolent deal was granted him.

https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/c12-0511-dean-jeffries-interview/
https://www.carthrottle.com/news/one-two-surviving-ford-gt40-roadsters-being-auctioned-and-we-want-it
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/11/08/ford-built-five-gt40-roadsters-but-only-one-raced-in-the-24-hours-of-le-mans
I think they ruined it returning it to "stock". He first put it together with the Indy motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RqU4ZQomk
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SunDude

Quote from: kkupec02 on August 30, 2023, 09:04:18 PM
I watched an old tv show and found some nice Shelby Daytona Coupe video.  "The Monkees Race Again" "Leave the Driving to Us"   February 12, 1968
Davy drives the Monkeemobile in an auto race when the British entry (owned by an old friend of Davy's grandfather) is sabotaged by Baron Von Klutz (David Hurst) and his Klutzmobile.
The 'Klutzmobile' is the original Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe (chassis #CSX2287).

I did a deep dive on this a couple years ago and determined that the car in that episode was CSX2299, not CSX2287. Ned agreed with my analysis.

In fact CSX2287 is the easiest of the coupes to eliminate from contention due to its unique door cutline.
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

propayne

Dean Jeffries put the first paint job on the first Cobra. Shelby gave him a Weber equipped 289 hi-po as payment that Jeffries used in his Mantaray custom, which is also in this episode. Someone stole the Webers off the Mantaray when it was being stored outside at his shop, so for awhile it sported the 4 bbl it had at the time of filming.

An earlier thread with some detailed pics -

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=9643.0

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: SunDude on August 31, 2023, 07:53:02 AM
I did a deep dive on this a couple years ago and determined that the car in that episode was CSX2299, not CSX2287. Ned agreed with my analysis.
If you ever get the chance stand by Pete Brock while there are any original Coupes in sight. He can tell you the CSX number and race history of each of his children from 50 feet away just by the different nuances the Italians hammered into each of the 5 bodies. His biggest peeve is they didn't get the leading edge of the roof as flat as he designed it.

Propayne: Dean Jeffries put the first paint job on the first Cobra.

I had forgotten about that. Jefferies mentioned it in one of his interviews - didn't he also do the extra paint jobs on it too so everyone got a "different" car to test?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless