News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Horn not working

Started by Doog 427, July 15, 2018, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doog 427

Hi
GT500 Horn does not work, ran wire directly from horn to battery and both horns work that way, took off horn button and connected wires and horn is very quiet, barely comes on, ideas?

Steve

kjspeed

1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

67350#1242

Sounds like high resistance in the wiring from battery to horn wire or from horn wire to the horns.  Possible spot would be the turn signal connector to steering column or one of the connectors to under hood harness. Could also be dirty or bad horn switch wipers at the back of the steering wheel.
You could try measuring resistance between the cold horn wire and the horns, and the horn hot wire to battery (battery  disconnected).
Also the 67 wood wheel is known to have problems with the horn wires internally where they solder to the contact rings on the back.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Doog 427 on July 15, 2018, 02:42:08 PM
Hi
GT500 Horn does not work, ran wire directly from horn to battery and both horns work that way, took off horn button and connected wires and horn is very quiet, barely comes on, ideas?

Steve
I would be glad to help .  Testing ,repair ,etc. it is too much typing for me. I will send you my phone number .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby