News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

brake conversion

Started by corbins, July 17, 2018, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbins

Ok, this is NOT Shelby specific, trying to give my son some guidance.

he bought a 67 coupe that a PO had done a disc brake conversion on. There is/was no proportioning valve in the system. I suggested just using a complete 68 set-up (distribution block/proportioning valve ) and appropriate lines.
Anyone see a reason not to go this route? I do know it currently has a single pin switch vs the 2 pin 68 switch.

Thanks for any suggestions !

Bob Gaines

Quote from: corbins on July 17, 2018, 04:31:15 PM
Ok, this is NOT Shelby specific, trying to give my son some guidance.

he bought a 67 coupe that a PO had done a disc brake conversion on. There is/was no proportioning valve in the system. I suggested just using a complete 68 set-up (distribution block/proportioning valve ) and appropriate lines.
Anyone see a reason not to go this route? I do know it currently has a single pin switch vs the 2 pin 68 switch.

Thanks for any suggestions !
You can do that. It would be best if no lines or distribution block were yet installed if you do. besides the brake light issue if you change , If you already have all of the 67 lines and distribution block installed it may be more efficient to plumb the proportioning valve (same design tube unit as 68 ) in the rear as normal 67.  No reason to reinvent the wheel and expend unnecessary labor if you don't have to. You are not going to see much of a benefit one over the other so I would suggest to do the one that requires the least work/money on a driver type base car that will not have a higher valve if original or not. Just my thoughts since you asked.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

corbins

Thanks Bob, he had already removed for replacement all the brake lines. But when he purchased the brake line kit , the fittings at the distribution block were the wrong sizes. They we discovered there were 3 different line sets applicable to the 67s. And as it had no existing proportioning valve, I figured it would be just as easy to change it all over to the 68 stuff, with the exception of the 1 pin vs 2 pins switch, which I'm hoping we can just change out.