News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1969/70 Shelby GT350/500 wheels not available

Started by SCJSTU, September 13, 2023, 08:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCJSTU

Anyone know why Paradise and all the vendors are out of stock on these wheels?

Looking for 1 and everyone seems to be out
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

67 GT350

I know its a joke! Its like people don't want a nice car anymore....66 painted and chrome Magnum wheels, 10 spoke for 66, 10 spoke for 67-68....
I have a set of 14 inch magnums and I hate looking at them because they are NOT right.
Come on Boyz, lets get them made! And NOT in China!

Phew, there is my spew for the day!!!
RARE  Signature Delete

TLea

It has to do with the availability of the steel rim itself and not the center

Vernon Estes

As Tim said above...its not for vendors not "wanting" to produce wheels. For some of the wheels its a lack of available materials to produce the wheels. For other parts specifically...there is currently not enough percieved demand to justify the MfG-ing of the product.

Certainly frustrating but its likely the "new normal" IMO
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

crossboss

Quote from: Vernon Estes on September 14, 2023, 10:17:21 AM
As Tim said above...its not for vendors not "wanting" to produce wheels. For some of the wheels its a lack of available materials to produce the wheels. For other parts specifically...there is currently not enough percieved demand to justify the MfG-ing of the product.

Very true. From a manufacturing stand point, its an old car, not in high demand items. This is typical in the marketplace. Lots of 'vintage' items are no longer being produced, or some have been out right cancelled.
Also, concerning the Magnums "Not right" comment: yes they are. Remember, the Shelby wheels had a re-call and Magnum 500s were installed. My 1970 GT-500 had Magnums. I later installed the Shelby wheels during the resto.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on September 14, 2023, 02:59:26 PM
Quote from: Vernon Estes on September 14, 2023, 10:17:21 AM

Very true. From a manufacturing stand point, its an old car, not in high demand items. This is typical in the marketplace. Lots of 'vintage' items are no longer being produced, or some have been out right cancelled.
Also, concerning the Magnums "Not right" comment: yes they are. Remember, the Shelby wheels had a re-call and Magnum 500s were installed. My 1970 GT-500 had Magnums. I later installed the Shelby wheels during the resto.
FYI the comment you are referencing has to do with 14" Magnums used as a substitute for 14" Hertz Magnums used on a 66 GT350. The 15" magnums were the 69 Shelby recall wheel substitute. Actually given the recall status of the early production 69 Shelby's wheel a 15"magnum would be considered concours correct alternative. There are a few documented cases where the 69 Shelby was never returned to have the magnum wheels switched out for the improved riveted Shelby 5 spoke. I have not come across anyone yet who has shown in concours with those 15" magnum wheels but what with the shortage being discussed it may be a new trend. ;) 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dennis Y

I put my name on the list to get a set back in January of this year. When I checked on the status in June Craig told me his supplier of the rims had put some kind of crazy number for a minimum order in place and I'm guessing he hasn't hit that number yet. Luckily (or unluckily), I'm still in paint purgatory and I don't need them yet. Even if I wanted to get my old ones done, that wouldn't be possible right now either. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Dennis Y on September 19, 2023, 11:17:11 AM
I put my name on the list to get a set back in January of this year. When I checked on the status in June Craig told me his supplier of the rims had put some kind of crazy number for a minimum order in place and I'm guessing he hasn't hit that number yet. Luckily (or unluckily), I'm still in paint purgatory and I don't need them yet. Even if I wanted to get my old ones done, that wouldn't be possible right now either. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.
In case you were not aware when restoring original wheels Craig chooses to substitute for liability reasons the modern DOT compliant rims with safety bead just like he uses on the repro wheels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SCJSTU

update Sept 19, 2023

I just talked to Craig Connelly at Paradise Wheels........he does have new reproduction and orig wheels in stock for 69-70 Shelbys.

His website is not being updated and the link is broken to order 1969-70 Shelby wheels.

He is no longer selling to all the Mustang parts houses as he can not keep up with demand so you have to call or e-mail his company.

That is why all the parts houses are out of stock ( at least NPD, Branda) and his ebay ad is gone for this wheel
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Dennis Y

Thanks for the update, greatly appreciated. I was just thinking this past weekend when I was checking on some of my other orders that I should give Craig a call or shoot him an email to see where things are at. I just sent him an email earlier to check the status of my order.

shelbyhertz66

The same thing goes for 14 inch tire selection and availability.
todays cars no longer use them and its not worth the cost for tire
companys to continue to produce them. This is why the molds for
them have been bought by aftermarket tire companies.

FL SAAC

We have a repro set of four, make offer if you wish via pm

Thanks
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert