News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Random car pictures

Started by 1109RWHP, January 22, 2018, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Was that a custom bodied Falcon ?

Quote from: 2112 on September 15, 2020, 02:19:57 PM
What is the Brittany blue car in image #2430?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

68countrysedan

QuoteWas that a custom bodied Falcon ?

According to the Falcon Challengers story written by Max Muhleman in the July 1962 Motor Trend, Challenger I was built by Holman Moody for the Sebring 12 Hour Grand Prix of Endurance. It was built in 10 days based on a Falcon Futura body. They finished 2nd in class behind a Jim Hall Chevy powered Chapparal.

The car was powered by a 221 cubic inch Windsor, bored out to 243.9 cubic inches, just under the 244 cubic inch limit. Compression was bumped from 8.5 to 10.5:1 and a 4V carb was installed. During the race the cylinder heads were replaced due to an oiling problem. Top speed was 135 mph and drum brakes were 3-inch wide in the front and 2.5-inch in the back.

A Challenger II had 3 inches sectioned out of the body center line. 

A Challenger III, in the photo, was built with the 3-inch section along with the fastback configuration. The rear window was plexiglass with an aluminum roof. 

1109RWHP

Quote from: honker on September 14, 2020, 08:58:49 PM
1109RWHP, thanks for posting, great stuff as always ! The last image of the car in the weeds, is that the Kar Kraft protoype run by

John Gimbel in '71 ?

Mike

Yes, It is 9F02R112073

gt350hr

Quote from: honker on September 14, 2020, 08:58:49 PM
1109RWHP, thanks for posting, great stuff as always ! The last image of the car in the weeds, is that the Kar Kraft protoype run by

John Gimbel in '71 ?

Mike

A little more info from John's former crew chief. Peter Marcovicci related the John bought the car ( painted and decked out ) as "the championship" car direct from Bud Moore. Peter drove to Spartanburg and picked it up. John bought one spare engine and several wheels along with a "buy back" guarantee from Bud. The car was "dented" more than once and lightweight sheet metal was used ( from Bud) to maintain it. When John moved to F5000 , he did sell it back to Bud. During his ownership , John never knew it was actually THE Shelby KarKraft prototype , only that it was a genuine Kar Kraft built car.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

honker

Randy, thanks for the interesting back story on the Shelby Kar Kraft prototype car.

and thanks 1109RWP for the answer to my query regarding the photo  you posted.

Mike

gt350hr

Mike ,
    When Phil Gallant bought it from Ed Recknagle (rip) I had already researched the entire ownership chain to be sure there weren't any breaks in the ownership chain. Bud knew everybody in the chain and was candid that there were only two cars he offered to "buy back" when he sold them.  "073" and the actual championship ( missing now) winning '70 car they built. Bud owned 073 more times than anyone else. It was a "money maker" in his terms.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

69mach351w

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 15, 2020, 10:50:58 AM
NASCAR  ????
Must be an outlaw track. Because I can't believe the track owner is allowing drivers to race with no window nets.  This is not a vintage photo cause the car to the rear on right side is a later model car.

jguyer

Going through pictures, got to take a short drive in this one at Indiana Spring Fling many years ago.

"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

68krrrr

Had some good company today at the Cars and coffee I went to
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

FL SAAC

kool
Quote from: 69mach351w on September 16, 2020, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on September 15, 2020, 10:50:58 AM
NASCAR  ????
Must be an outlaw track. Because I can't believe the track owner is allowing drivers to race with no window nets.  This is not a vintage photo cause the car to the rear on right side is a later model car.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Corey Bowcutt

I recently found some old pictures of my first two Mustangs circa 1978-79.  I purchased the 69 for $900 when I was 16.  It turned out to be a rusted mess but I was a dumb kid so what did I know.  The engine blew up in the 69 shortly after I bought it so I bought the 66 coupe for $1 from an associate of my dad's.  It presumably had a new motor in it.  I swapped motors and continued driving the 69.  But I got looking at the 66 and realized it was a far more solid car.  So I jacked it up in my parents garage and stripped it down to a shell and rebuilt it.  As you can see I did not stick to the stock color but I was a 16-17 year old kid.  But I loved that coupe and drove it thru college and beyond before giving it to my sister when she turned 16.  Great memories.

Corey

Tom Honegger

Yep, George Follmer, Mid Ohio 1971. Follmer drove the 15 car, Peter Gregg in the 16 car,
except for season opener at Lime Rock where Parnelli ran 15 and Follmer 16.

Love the vintage pics Corey

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert