Author Topic: Random car pictures  (Read 716813 times)

mikeh

• View Profile
Re: Random car pictures
« Reply #2670 on: January 13, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »

I don't claim to know anything about this pic, but Sieveking (on Gravois) was/is a oil/fuel supplier in St Louis.
If that helps at all, fwiw

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: January 13, 2021, 06:57:24 PM »

C5HM,
I was a big fan of your 64 and monitored its build over the years. In my opinion it was just too awesome to describe.
With respect to the extreme scarcity of real HM cars/chassis and the degree of effort and skill you put into bringing HM cars back from such, eh, degraded beginnings, was/is the 64 now just too far gone beyond repairability?
(if this is too much a personal question I take no offense it letting it slide)
Thx, Steve A
Thanks for the kind words. I hated to lose the 64. BUT..it was full of the toxic stuff that was dissolved in SE Texas flood water.  Up over the carb.  That means that everything would have to have been immediately disassembled and flushed to prevent major corrosion and rust damage. Engine, trans, rear end, hubs...everything.  Along with that car, I lost six others...my house and my shop. And all of my tools. Lived in a hotel for a month or so and then an apartment. Plus I was very busy at work. The very expensive Candy Tangerine paint job (3.5K just in materials) would have needed to be stripped down to bare metal and redone, too. So...No time/no place and no ability to work on the car resulted in the insurance company taking it. I had A LOT of stated value insurance on the car. So all is good on that front.  Not sure where it is now.  The two previous cars I restored before the Galaxie are still being vintage raced at least. I would have lost them too if I had not sold them.  I have heard that Curt Vogt is maintaining the Cyclone tribute I built first (NO real deal Wood Brothers SIIs survive). Not sure who the new owner is. Does anyone know? It ran at Road Atlanta last year IIRC. The 65 Daytona 500 winner still belongs to Andrew Franzone who runs it at Sonoma from time to time. It has been to Goodwood three times (the last two with Andrew). I was told it snagged  "Top 35" recognition at the last Festival of Speed it attended. That is big smoke considering the cars that show up at the F.O.S. each year.  Maybe the Torino will earn an invite when it is done.

C5HM,
Thanks for the response. I am (respecfully) just dumbfounded by all of that! I don't think I could bounce back after losing my cars and tools.
Keep up the good work! We'll be watching!!

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: January 13, 2021, 07:24:35 PM »
This is my clone. I might have to do a NASCAR themed car next.

Beautiful car and true craftsmanship.

I like the blue/gold proving grounds car if you are doing another one.  ;)

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: January 13, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »
I am dumb enough to make one into a street car.

Far from dumb..... amazingly talented.  I want to see any car you build.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
This is my clone. I might have to do a NASCAR themed car next.

Sweet! Is that the street legal car I have seen shots of on the web? Hope my replica Bobby Allison Boss 302 turns out half as nice!

I guess that is the one you have seen. Thanks for the compliment. I had no idea the 64 got flooded! What a nightmare.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: January 13, 2021, 07:43:10 PM »
Have you ever been to Fords at Carlisle with any of your cars?

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: January 13, 2021, 09:14:09 PM »
Yep. Couple of times. Years ago. The Cyclone was featured at the Boss Nationals one year. The Lorenzen car was also featured one year.  Haven't really had time to go back. Or at least I didn't while still living in Texas. I plan on taking in more shows now that I am officially a drain on society.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: January 13, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
I go every year. We should meet up if you go.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: January 19, 2021, 06:07:35 PM »

C5HM,
I was a big fan of your 64 and monitored its build over the years. In my opinion it was just too awesome to describe.
With respect to the extreme scarcity of real HM cars/chassis and the degree of effort and skill you put into bringing HM cars back from such, eh, degraded beginnings, was/is the 64 now just too far gone beyond repairability?
(if this is too much a personal question I take no offense it letting it slide)
Thx, Steve A
Thanks for the kind words. I hated to lose the 64. BUT..it was full of the toxic stuff that was dissolved in SE Texas flood water.  Up over the carb.  That means that everything would have to have been immediately disassembled and flushed to prevent major corrosion and rust damage. Engine, trans, rear end, hubs...everything.  Along with that car, I lost six others...my house and my shop. And all of my tools. Lived in a hotel for a month or so and then an apartment. Plus I was very busy at work. The very expensive Candy Tangerine paint job (3.5K just in materials) would have needed to be stripped down to bare metal and redone, too. So...No time/no place and no ability to work on the car resulted in the insurance company taking it. I had A LOT of stated value insurance on the car. So all is good on that front.  Not sure where it is now.  The two previous cars I restored before the Galaxie are still being vintage raced at least. I would have lost them too if I had not sold them.  I have heard that Curt Vogt is maintaining the Cyclone tribute I built first (NO real deal Wood Brothers SIIs survive). Not sure who the new owner is. Does anyone know? It ran at Road Atlanta last year IIRC. The 65 Daytona 500 winner still belongs to Andrew Franzone who runs it at Sonoma from time to time. It has been to Goodwood three times (the last two with Andrew). I was told it snagged  "Top 35" recognition at the last Festival of Speed it attended. That is big smoke considering the cars that show up at the F.O.S. each year.  Maybe the Torino will earn an invite when it is done.
Love these 60's Nascar racecars.  Timeless works of art.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: January 19, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »
1968 NASCAR Grand American Series championship winning Bud Moore Engineering built Mercury Cougar driven by the great "Tiny" Lund (it's time for a movie about him).

Built from one of the 1967 BME Trans-Am Cougars.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: January 20, 2021, 01:54:26 AM »
Did they use the 302 Tunnel port or regular 302?

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: January 20, 2021, 10:53:27 AM »
   When Tiny bought the car from Bud , he got a dual four T/A 289 with it. Same for the two that Reid Shaw bought. I have the Bud Moore engine build sheets for the engines they built plus the engine balance sheets. They are VERY revealing as to what they actually raced.
  I need to cull out the Cougar stuff out and make a deal for Phillip to own it. No one better to have it than him.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: January 20, 2021, 11:07:37 AM »
I was waiting for Randy to answer  ;D

Cougars won 12 of 19 races during the 1968 Grand Touring (later Grand American) season, with Tiny accounting for 9.

I believe all of those winning Cougars were Bud Moore Engineering cars, either ex Trans-Am cars or one or two that were purpose built for NASCAR.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 20, 2021, 11:27:09 AM »
     Bud told me they had 5 Cougars at one point. I only know ( by paperwork notes) of three and do not know the vins on any of them. The notes say "the one Tiny got" and "the one Reid got" and "the other one Reid got". Vins meant nothing to Bud.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.