Author Topic: Random car pictures  (Read 716567 times)

C5HM

• View Profile
Re: Random car pictures
« Reply #2685 on: January 20, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
I asked Bud if the GA Cougars used Tunnel Port 302s in 68 and he answered in the negative. He recalled that at some 68 races Hi-Po 289s were put back into service. IIRC the Paul Revere race that Loyd Ruby won in a Cougar was 289 powered.....irrespective of the call out on the hood.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:54:29 PM by C5HM »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 20, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »
    Same thing Ken Miler (rip) told me before he passed . "Bud wanted no part of that crap" were his words. Tony Cary bought a 'room full" of parts from Bud through Ken.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: January 20, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
   "Most" were two bolt main (C6FE casting) blocks which had cast steel caps and cast cranks , "hipo" rods , Lemans cams , C6FE heads and dual fours. He had a few XE four bolts and steel cranks but kept them for "longer" races like Daytona and Riverside. It is surprising to see what went into the '67 stuff.
    Randy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:57:18 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 20, 2021, 05:55:02 PM »
Here are some more pics of Ruby at the Paul Revere 250 race - scanned by me from one of my racing programs.

Notice that his BME Cougar is sporting Torque Thrusts.

There was an argument on another social media platform where some were saying NASCAR never allowed those wheels and perhaps this was not a NASCAR sanctioned race.

Anyone here have any knowledge on that subject?

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 20, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »
I can only assume that Bill France amended the normal wheel rules for GA cars for that race to allow the four 911s (to include Peter Gregg) and one Alfa in the field to run without double centered steel rims.  That done, alloy rims became available to the other cars in the field.  Don't believe I have ever seen another photo of any Grand American car running anywhere without double centered H&M or Nichel's steel rims.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:57:04 PM by C5HM »

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: January 20, 2021, 09:02:35 PM »
    Same thing Ken Miler (rip) told me before he passed . "Bud wanted no part of that crap" were his words. Tony Cary bought a 'room full" of parts from Bud through Ken.
Red Myler was a capital fellow. I got to know him a bit while hanging around Bud's shop in the 80s. He was doing the read ends for BME's cup cars at the time. Who knew that years later I would get the chance to restore one of the car's he built why working at Holman Moody? He and came down to the Southland from Iowa wanting to race. And race they did. Red turned  for a number of teams, to include Reid Shaw and the Petty's (Becoming a father-in-law to one of the Petty Boys along the way).

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: January 21, 2021, 12:01:43 AM »
Here are some more pics of Ruby at the Paul Revere 250 race - scanned by me from one of my racing programs.

Notice that his BME Cougar is sporting Torque Thrusts.

There was an argument on another social media platform where some were saying NASCAR never allowed those wheels and perhaps this was not a NASCAR sanctioned race.

Anyone here have any knowledge on that subject?

- Phillip

The bottom photo, being at a "Union 76" branded fuel station at a track, I know that RIR had a facility like that, but I can't vouch for any other track.

Union 76 was a west coast (CA for sure) brand, and was linked with Conoco in a few other states, back in the '60s.

So, with it being a Union 76 facility at a track, that should narrow down the possibilities.  I'm guessing it's a CA track.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: January 21, 2021, 12:30:21 AM »
Good thing there wasn't a point of ignition.   :-X

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:04 AM »
The Paul Revere 250s were at Daytona. According to a flyer I have - "The race starts at midnight, following a dazzling fireworks display, and the cars thunder round the 2.5 mile high banked trioval and then swoop into the flat and winding infield road."

The very first Paul Revere 250 was held in '67 (as sort of a trail run by NASCAR I suppose) and was basically the 1967 Trans-Am field and was won by Parnelli. Not a TA race so no points scored towards that series which the Cougars lost by what, 2 points? Hey, no hard feelings there  ;D

Here is a pick of PJ's Cougar in the pits, running the Torque Thrusts (they were TA cars after all) plus the results. You can see that Titus came in second in his Shelby notchback which begs the question, is this the only NASCAR sanctioned race that Shelby vehicles participated in?

Seiichi Suzuki also had Torque Thrusts on his BME Cougar at the GT race at Daytona in '68 that Ruby won, so maybe the choice of wheels is linked to Daytona being a partial road course? I have a great color pick of Suzuki that I'll post in a separate reply.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:59:39 AM by propayne »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:06 AM »
Here is Suzuki with his BME Cougar at Daytona in '68.

This pic is credited as being from the Michael Mulcahy collection and is from the book "Fast Mustangs" by Alex Gabbard.

- Phillip

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: January 21, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
We may be mixing up races here. The shot of Suzuki's Cougar (that sounds a bit weird) is from the "Daytona Continental IIRC. That 24 hour race at Daytona in January has always been a sporty car race contested under SCCA and or FIA rules. So, Trans Am cars that ran in class at that event retained their Trans Am spec equipment (to include alloy rims). The Paul Revere road course, race at Daytona the night before the July 4th running of the Grand National Firecracker 400,was something a different night time event that started as midnight.  Based solely on the use of alloy rims on Ruby's car at that race, I am assuming that the same rules used at the "Continental" race in January applied to the Paul Revere. Can't find out much about the sanctioning rules for the Paul Revere on the web. So, I am just making assumptions. Here are some shots of a feisty little Shelby American entry that literally fought its way in the finishing line picture back in the 1968 Continental.  As most of you probably know, Titus spoiled the pristine three abreast Pourshhhhaaaaa finish line picture.  He refused to back off when one of the long tailed cars dropped back to shoo him away several laps before the end...Titius responded by applying the chrome horn to that alloy and fiberglass bodied import, modifying that cars aerodynamic profile a bit.  And so it was that the stumpy little notch back spoiled the picture of Porsche's victory in 1968.  (Titus finished 4th overall and first in class IIRC)

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »
More Titus shots from 68

C5HM

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: January 21, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
More Titus shots

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: January 21, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »
C5HM, great stuff ! thanks for posting ! Here's some shots of that little Mustang spoiling the finish line photo  ;) After 24 hours

Titus-Bucknum where only 44 laps behind the winning Porsche, quite the achievement ! I seem to remember that they changed

the rules after that didn't want the chance of some sedan winning the race  ?

Titus had the odd moment during the race, pretty casual here with the arm out the window !

Mike

(photo: Hot Rod magazine, and two with no credit)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:24:43 AM by honker »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: January 21, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
Ahhhh, I had assumed Suzuki was running in a GT race, didn't think that it was the Continental - thanks.

- Phillip