Author Topic: Random car pictures  (Read 717525 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Random car pictures
« Reply #3060 on: August 24, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »

And yes, I understand this but my thought is when I see the desperation and expense put forth for say a "proper" date-coded radiator cap, oil/air filter element (we have had customers asking for correct date-coded rod & main bearings even!), then I seem to think the "proper", more visible and significant components can be had, if one truly tried.  And as you stated, although perhaps rare as far as being as originally installed here, much of these small items were "buy-outs" from suppliers commonly existing inventories vs. some truly rare one-off manufacturing endeavors.      :-\

Scott.

Most Cobra owners have little interest in fine details.  From one perspective, why bother with correct small parts for a car with perhaps a custom replacement engine, custom wheels and tires, flared fenders, customized suspension, upholstery,  or even built from a little salvageable from a crash. In a recent conversation with the owner of a 427 Cobra he had zero interest in trying to make his car more original because it already had a custom replacement drive train and a general rebuild to mimic a SC car. 

There are Cobra, 427 Cobra, and GT40 owners that start efforts to return typical average cars to more day one configuration but only a few. That being the case there is little demand for engineering and time frame correct parts so parts dealers normally do not bother keeping up with such parts.  It can take a decade plus just to find most of the parts required to get close to day one for a street car and race car parts are just about non-existent anymore. In many cases, street or race, you have to reverse engineer and make what you need and that is not fast or low cost.  The person that buys an average Cobra and just keeps it two or three years just is not going to care all that much in my experience.

Last but not least, buy an average Cobra, spend ten years and tens of thousands on “original” parts and the value at auction has not changed at all. Buy a car spend $150,000 or more on it and you still have probably not changed its market value. From that perspective, why bother on details unless you plan on keeping the car the rest of your life no matter what the ‘market’ does.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: August 24, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
Another shot of the Alfa Romeo Special at Alvin Callender Field in 1955.

By 1956 it moved from DM class to BM, after Jim Saunders, a foreman with Humble Oil in Houston, installed a 5.6-liter Ford Thunderbird engine. Renamed the FoMoCo Special, it proved faster than many Italian and English thoroughbreds.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: August 24, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
The best way to develop a future generation of racing enthusiasts.

It is always Fun to let kids enjoy being in your race car for a photo.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: August 24, 2021, 04:26:33 PM »
Eagle Mountain, Fort Worth, June 1956, where the best of the East would meet those of the South and the West in an SCCA National.

On the foreground, next to the big chrome, Wayne Lash’s Mercedes 190SL, then Louis Brero’s D-type, Jack Douglas’ D-type and Jack McAfee’s Ferrari 857S.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: August 24, 2021, 04:27:57 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. The D-types entered by Briggs Cunningham for Sherwood Johnston and newcomer Walt Hansgen.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: August 24, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. One of the Cunningham D-types being prepped

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: August 24, 2021, 04:31:06 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. Dick Hall brought this 750 Monza that he had bought from Allen Guiberson, with Carroll Shelby as the assigned driver. Guiberson offered his help and sits in the car while it is tuned.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: August 24, 2021, 04:32:19 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. The epic battle between Walt Hansgen [Cunningham D-type] and Carroll Shelby [Dick Hall’s 750 Monza], until Hansgen blew his left rear tire.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: August 24, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. Shelby prepares for the start of the feature under the watchful eye of Allen Guiberson. The D-type next to it is Louis Brero’s, who would lead for ten laps until black-flagged for excessively cutting corners.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: August 24, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. Carroll Shelby in the Dick Hall 750 Monza. Shelby would prove the biggest challenge for the East Coast and West Coast drivers

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: August 24, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »
Most Cobra owners have little interest in fine details. 

There are Cobra, 427 Cobra, and GT40 owners that start efforts to return typical average cars to more day one configuration but only a few.

The person that buys an average Cobra and just keeps it two or three years just is not going to care all that much in my experience.

Last but not least, buy an average Cobra, spend ten years and tens of thousands on “original” parts and the value at auction has not changed at all. Buy a car spend $150,000 or more on it and you still have probably not changed its market value. From that perspective, why bother on details unless you plan on keeping the car the rest of your life no matter what the ‘market’ does.

Yes, I do understand your above statements as being so, as this has also been my observation of many of the cars that I have seen.  This I can only attribute to the fact the these owners apparently are demonstrating their ability to afford these vehicles (for example particularly when referencing Cobras & GT40's), but are not really true enthusiast of the past period in history of the time when these cars were making such history.  Although as being experienced today, the current investment value opportunities will in the future be a continued history of the cars, but it is not the celebrated history that is the impetus for these considerations; but perhaps is becoming and is or will be the driving force for value from here though.     :(

I'm not against realizing the these cars were modified in period, and I do actually find such "in-period" modifications (particularly for performance & racing) acceptable (perhaps I'm considered a "Day-Two" guy   ???  ) and my original posting was voicing such as I presumed that the Weber set-up as pictured perhaps really wasn't "original" or "day-one" as the car first appeared, but rather displayed how the vehicles really were used at the time of there greatness, and not just by O.E.M. supported instances, and should be appreciated as such.  But rather in my first posting I was commenting on the fact that although I don't expect that these cars as raced in this period of their greatness should necessarily be restored to day-one condition, but perhaps greater sins that should not be present, for example say: an MSD red painted coil mounted with a chrome bracket, a set of bright yellow Accell wires, a new bare bright aluminum radiator and I don't like the looks of the cheap, pin-thru the radiator mounted plastic electric fans , a polished carburetor with the red Edelbrock badge staring at ya, Jet-Hot ceramic coated headers, two hundred pounds of every hose being stainless steel braided with colorful hose ends and other obviously not in period stuff.     :o

Not necessarily looking for perfection in every little nit, but just hopping for some to try a little harder at, even if it ain't original, providing a more reasonable in period presentation.    ;)

Scott.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: August 25, 2021, 07:30:38 AM »
M1 Woodward 2021
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: August 25, 2021, 07:34:46 AM »
Cougars at M1 show.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: August 25, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
Eagle Mountain, June 1956. Carroll Shelby in the Dick Hall 750 Monza. Shelby would prove the biggest challenge for the East Coast and West Coast drivers

Eagle Mountain actually still sort of exists.  It was a Marine/Navy air field in WWII.  Was used for sea planes.  One landing strip is still in use as the "Kenneth Copeland Ministries" air strip.  Another strip is still sort of there and the third is visible on Google Earth as a shadow where it was.  Off the north end of the functional runway is a road leading over to the lake.  One of the ramps for the seaplanes is still there.  WWII hut and all.  Looks like it was a reserve base and was used for some races in the late 1950's. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 02, 2021, 10:30:27 PM »
Cobras, Aug. '70,  and a Mustang, Aug. 31st. '69, Can-Am races, Elkhart Lake, Road America, Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 10:31:59 PM by honker »