News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Caliper Crossover Tube Issue

Started by SHELB66, October 04, 2023, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHELB66

I finally got around to buying 5 new tires (BF Goodrich T/A's) for my '66 Hertz and having them installed on a set of correct chrome Magnum 500 wheels.  When I purchased my Shelby in 2004 it came with Ford chrome Magnums in a 14 x 7 size.  Tires were 195-70's all the way around.  Now I'll be using 205-70's.  I opted to have just 2 of the tires mounted on rims so that I could check to see if there were any issues up front with rubbing.  Well I installed both fronts and sure enough there was rubbing!  However, the noise was a grinding noise and not from the tires.  Turns out it was the caliper crossover tube that was rubbing lightly on the inside of the wheel only on the driver's side.  Fortunately I didn't drive beyond our cul-de-sac!  I used a little gentle persuasion and all is good.  The calipers & rotors are not original but new repo ones recently installed.  Now I can have the other tires mounted and finish this project.  Always something!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

papa scoops

issue i found with 14 inch americans, they had to offset the stick on wheel weights. make sure to check that

SHELB66

I can see where that could easily happen.  Fortunately, my weights are away from the line of fire!  Thanks for the info!

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

67350#1242

Some of the repro crossover lines do not fit as tightly to the contours of the calipers as originals did.  Not surprising that they may rub with some applications.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB