News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cobra Oil Pan Stripped Drain Plug Hole

Started by SHELB66, November 12, 2023, 11:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on November 15, 2023, 09:21:23 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 13, 2023, 03:57:06 PM
I don't remember the size of the original plug but I would think that there is an oversize plug that will work without taking the pan off.

You are going to have very little metal filings involved and they can be flushed out by running oil through the pan.

As far as the pans leaking due to porosity? I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference of where they leak from to begin with but it is more common then not that they will leak through the mounting flange and the bolt holes.

As far as lining the pan internally, I'd want to see the procedure and what the lining material is. Cast aluminum is not a friendly medium to apply witch doctor solutions to. You can't even weld on it dependably.

I think that is something to stay away from.
Here is where I first learned about coating an aluminum pan.
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=13417.msg111356#msg111356

Yes but that is not for correcting a porosity issue. Some felt it aided in the speed in which oil would return to the pan. Racers tried a lot of things but one thing they almost always did was epoxy screens in place to catch debris from returning to the pan. Much of what they created the opportunity for.

Cured silicone is what I've seen the most of. Use a magnetic drain plug and be amazed at the"sludge" it accumulates. The magnets on the oil filter are a good idea as well.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

deathsled

Thanks for the clarification, Doug. I will also look into getting a magnetic plug and throw a curved heavy duty magnet on the oil filter.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

JohnSlack

Glyptal is actually very good at porosity issues with aluminum and magnesium castings. The biggest point with Glyptal application is cleaning the base metal prior to application. Correct application has proven in my experience to be effective against porosity in the castings even in high heat usage where the oil temperature exceeded 90-95°C on the final laps.

John