News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Two prototype Cobras, CSX2367 and Tom Cotter at Detroit Historical warehouse

Started by Dwathencars, November 19, 2023, 09:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobrask8

From what I recall, one had an empty short block and transmission in it, the other no drivetrain. I want to say the coupe had the parts, but cannot be sure.

Cobramax

The Cougar II has an early experimental 260 engine, very likely the original engine that came in CSX 2008 upon which the Cougar II is built.
I examined the Cougar II and it doesn't appear that it ever ran after being converted from CSX 2008. This is based on the fact that the exhaust system was never connected to the tail pipes and there are no mufflers. See the attached photo of the tail pipes.  There are 363 miles on the original speedometer/odometer so someone did a little cruising before it was converted to the Cougar II.

The Bordinat Cobra is built on the chassis of CSX 3001. It has a 6 bolt 289 engine with a very unusual exhaust system layout. The exhaust exits the engine toward the front of the car and then the exhaust pipes course down INTO the frame rails! See the attached photo.
They exit the frame rails toward the rear of the car and are connected to the tail pipes. This car did run because there is exhaust soot on the rear valence adjacent to the exhaust tips.

TA Coupe

If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

98SVT - was 06GT

I had an IMC model back in the day. Testors did a reissue (as they did for all the IMC GT-40s)
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Dwathencars

The video of this episode of Tom Cotter's program has posted on YouTube.   Just look for "Barn Find Hunter".   The 42 minute video covers many interesting cars stored there, plus maybe 10 minutes on the two prototype Cobra's and uses CSX2367 as contrast.  Jim Maxwell provides some good perspective on the cars.   The prototype Cobra section is at about 30 minutes in, but the whole program is fascinating. Tom and his crew do a great job.    I had difficulty posting a link, so just search on however you get YouTube.     Dave
CSX 2367.   Jaguar SS100,XK120, Etype, Mercedes 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet, 1961 Maserati Vignale Spyder

silverton_ford

Quote from: Dwathencars on March 07, 2024, 08:36:20 AM
The video of this episode of Tom Cotter's program has posted on YouTube.   Just look for "Barn Find Hunter".   The 42 minute video covers many interesting cars stored there, plus maybe 10 minutes on the two prototype Cobra's and uses CSX2367 as contrast.  Jim Maxwell provides some good perspective on the cars.   The prototype Cobra section is at about 30 minutes in, but the whole program is fascinating. Tom and his crew do a great job.    I had difficulty posting a link, so just search on however you get YouTube.     Dave

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/y0ygn8QKbGA?si=C3tcINgt9AM0Iss6

shelbymann1970

Quote from: silverton_ford on March 07, 2024, 09:58:06 AM
Quote from: Dwathencars on March 07, 2024, 08:36:20 AM

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/y0ygn8QKbGA?si=C3tcINgt9AM0Iss6
Brian if you look at the Mustang II at  42:36 into the video he mentions my friend Mark Haas who has a "similar" car that the full history hasn't been determined yet. Also you see the gas cap? Mark gave me some pieces and I made that gas cap for the Mustang II. The original one had been missing for decades. Mark got  some parts that were just like his gas cap and they looked like the gas cap in period pics of the II so I did some fabrication. Dave-the curator- and I at MCACN. I was on a time crunch to get the cap done for the show.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

propayne

Just watched the video, which is terrific BTW.

Was surprised to learn that Dean Jeffries painted the Cougar II. Don't believe I have ever heard that tidbit.

To me, another example of how interwoven the fabric is of the production cars that we love, and the hot rod and custom car community that was so vibrant at the time (think TV/Movie cars and model kits) being tapped behind the scenes by the manufacturers.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: propayne on March 09, 2024, 04:11:18 PM
Was surprised to learn that Dean Jeffries painted the Cougar II.
I would not be surprised to even hear he painted the Mustang I for Troutman & Barnes. He did the first Cobra for CS - several times. Lots of shops called him in when they needed show quality paint. He went with Phil Remington to Dearborn to fix the J car aerodynamics and turn it into the MKIV. He was fast and built quality stuff for the movies. The big cross town rivalry was between him and Barris. Dean Jeffries wins IMHO. When Jim Russell bought the first Daytona Coupe from SA with fresh stock 271 hp HiPo and Webers he had a Tony Nancy interior installed and show quality paint and bodywork done - I've always suspected that Jeffries did the body & paint. This is the "unrestored - as raced" car that is in the Simone museum.
A little on the feud - Jefferies built the Monkee Mobile. The studio offered it to him but he figured if he wanted one he could build another cheaper than what they wanted. Barris bought it and then tried claiming it as his creation since it was now part of his show stable.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless