News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Green timing mark on my CJ engine

Started by Steve Meltzer, November 30, 2023, 01:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

As I continue to familiarize myself with my new KR, I see that there is a green timing mark on the harmonic balancerthat appears to be at @ 90° BTDC. This is a very specific green that looks much like one of the other factory marks on the car.I can't figure out why there would be a mark at 90°. The harmonic balancer is clearly engraved for TDC (white line) 10,20 and 30 "BTC". Thanks, Steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on November 30, 2023, 01:27:01 PM
As I continue to familiarize myself with my new KR, I see that there is a green timing mark on the harmonic balancerthat appears to be at @ 90° BTDC. This is a very specific green that looks much like one of the other factory marks on the car.I can't figure out why there would be a mark at 90°. The harmonic balancer is clearly engraved for TDC (white line) 10,20 and 30 "BTC". Thanks, Steve
There are typically no colored timing marks on the harmonic balancer. There are timing marks machined into the hub but they are not highlighted by paint. At least from the factory. It is common for owners and service personal to highlight machined in lines with white or other color to make it easier to see with a timing light in use.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Meltzer

I too, have marked harmonic balancers for timing purposes over the years. But, for the life of me and my meager understanding of combustion engines, I could not figure out why there would be a marker at 90° BTDC. I plan to leave it for now until I get to know the car better. thanx again. steve