News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Spare wheel/tire

Started by sfm5s081, July 23, 2018, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfm5s081

I know this is rather basic, but did all 1966 GT350s come with a 14" 10 spoke spare wrapped in a Good Year Blue Streak tire? Or did the cars have standard Ford spares? Did some come with either? 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 23, 2018, 03:06:22 PM
I know this is rather basic, but did all 1966 GT350s come with a 14" 10 spoke spare wrapped in a Good Year Blue Streak tire? Or did the cars have standard Ford spares? Did some come with either?
Bluestreak would be typical on a ten spoke matching spare.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

+1 The spare matched the other four regardless of Cragar or 15" steel/Blue dot ( Carryovers) and same for 14" steel , 14" painted magnum, chrome Magnum,10 spoke/ Blue Streak.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

NC TRACKRAT

Speaking of "basic" and on the same subject of spare tire/wheel assemblies, were they installed in the trunk "face up" or "face down"?  I know...they look better face up but how were they done from S-A?  Anyone got an original pic of an as delivered '66?
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on July 29, 2018, 07:28:12 PM
Speaking of "basic" and on the same subject of spare tire/wheel assemblies, were they installed in the trunk "face up" or "face down"?  I know...they look better face up but how were they done from S-A?  Anyone got an original pic of an as delivered '66?

Which wheels? 

Here is an example from 66 with a chrome Magnum - early car.

Do have original owner unrestored cars where they are mounted differently now

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

NC TRACKRAT

With only 3 different possibilities for '66 (Cragars, Magnums, 10-Spokes), were some done face up and others face down?  Would one get judged right or wrong if done differently?
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

Quote from: NC TRACKRAT on July 29, 2018, 07:58:03 PM
With only 3 different possibilities for '66 (Cragars, Magnums, 10-Spokes), were some done face up and others face down?  Would one get judged right or wrong if done differently?
First off it is your car and you can mount it any way you want. If concerned about how it is perceived in a concours event is a different situation. Face down is how they were intended. The jacking instructions confirm this with no other info to supersede it. Unless you have something that shows it was done differently on your specific car it would be judged as wrong if right side up. Of course a judge can overlook a incorrectly mounted spare ether by mistake or on purpose. I can't speak for everyone but that is the general conscience until different information suggests otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

Thanks, Bob...Exactly the answer I wanted!
5S071, 6S1467

sfm5s081

you guys are awesome! Now what about the jack, handle, etc? I believe the 67 was mounted upside down as well?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 29, 2018, 11:18:08 PM
you guys are awesome! Now what about the jack, handle, etc? I believe the 67 was mounted upside down as well?
Could you be more specific on what about jack, handle etc.?  The 67 spare was typically mounted right side up.

J_Speegle

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 29, 2018, 11:18:08 PM
you guys are awesome! Now what about the jack, handle, etc? ............

Remember things like lug wrenches (some cars have two) depended on what wheel your referring to.

As for jack and jack handles for the Magnum in the picture above you can see that the jack is positioned as shown in the jacking instruction decal on the trunk lid ten spoke would be the same. While we are at it take notice of the style of jack installed

Jack handle would be stored like shown in the decal/sticker also - just like Mustangs

As Bob wrote - 67 they changed and were mounted the spare wheels and tires hub cap side up ;) like Mustangs
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

EdwardGT350

picture of jack instructions? is it different from this one?
1966 GT350 6s1761

NC TRACKRAT

Interesting to note that the jacking instructions as pictured (C5ZB-17093-A) show the spare wheel/tire assembly with the valve stem up and stowage instruction #3 states valve stem up. That would indicate that the assembly is face up, not face down.  I have an original C6ZB-17093-C that also shows the valve stem facing up.
5S071, 6S1467

gt350hr

That is correct for a "standard Mustang" wheel and tire ONLY.  SAI "loaded" the spares differently, face down as the above post shows. The exception was '65's where the spare was in the rear seat area. They were mounted "up".
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

NC TRACKRAT

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just confused because of Bob's statement "Face down is how they were intended. The jacking instructions confirm this with no other info to supersede it."
5S071, 6S1467